+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quick question: immediate family needs essential purpose to come?

astrodude

Jan 1, 2019
Hi,
Been through other threads but still confused. I’m PR, despite all other requirements like isolation, can my parents enter Canada with a TRV, even it’s not an essential purpose(taking care of my pregnant wife and 1-year-old son)? Or should I address to CBSA that taking care of them is essential?

Don’t worry, we have good transport and isolation plans. And most importantly they are coming from China, one of the safest district, so chance of exposing to COVID during flight is very low.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Been through other threads but still confused. I’m PR, despite all other requirements like isolation, can my parents enter Canada with a TRV, even it’s not an essential purpose(taking care of my pregnant wife and 1-year-old son)? Or should I address to CBSA that taking care of them is essential?

Don’t worry, we have good transport and isolation plans. And most importantly they are coming from China, one of the safest district, so chance of exposing to COVID during flight is very low.
They can come and visit without a reason if they have a TRV but they can’t work and technically caring for a child and your wife would be considered working. Your wife would be considered high risk and if she is pregnant she is also visiting medical establishments so it is very important that your parents quarantine in either a separate part of your home like a basement suite with a bathroom and perhaps a kitchen or an AirBnB for 14 days. If your wife is close to her due date or you visit medical appointments you also need to be careful because you don’t want to potentially bring covid into the hospital or doctor’s office. You may want to consider taking extra precautions if you plan on picking up your parents from the airport or get the to take a taxi/car service. Although there are many bigger Covid hot spots in the world at the moment unfortunately Chinese covid figures aren’t very reliable so there is likely covid around so you always have to be cautious especially since pregnant women can get very sick with covid.

astrodude

Jan 1, 2019
They can come and visit without a reason if they have a TRV but they can’t work and technically caring for a child and your wife would be considered working. Your wife would be considered high risk and if she is pregnant she is also visiting medical establishments so it is very important that your parents quarantine in either a separate part of your home like a basement suite with a bathroom and perhaps a kitchen or an AirBnB for 14 days. If your wife is close to her due date or you visit medical appointments you also need to be careful because you don’t want to potentially bring covid into the hospital or doctor’s office. You may want to consider taking extra precautions if you plan on picking up your parents from the airport or get the to take a taxi/car service. Although there are many bigger Covid hot spots in the world at the moment unfortunately Chinese covid figures aren’t very reliable so there is likely covid around so you always have to be cautious especially since pregnant women can get very sick with covid.
Thanks for your kind suggestions. Couldn’t agree more with you. But still I believe China is doing a great job in controlling the virus.
If I can’t tell CBSA that they are coming for taking care of my wife and kid, what might be an appropriate reason, family reunion?

Canadaagain

Feb 27, 2018

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your kind suggestions. Couldn’t agree more with you. But still I believe China is doing a great job in controlling the virus.
If I can’t tell CBSA that they are coming for taking care of my wife and kid, what might be an appropriate reason, family reunion?
No caring for your child and pregnant wife would be considered work. If they want to visit that is allowed. They don’t need a reason to enter if they already have a TRV.

raydu4

Aug 12, 2020
Hi everyone, thank you for this forum, here is my situation, I was born in Canada, I have a Canadian SSN , I have property in Quebec, my mother is a Canadian citizen and so are my 3 children.
I was sworn in as an American citizen in 2011, my wife is an American born citizen, under the current Canada USA border situation, can I go and visit my immediate family and can my wife come with me ?
Thank you for any input you may have.
Thank you
Raydu4

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hi everyone, thank you for this forum, here is my situation, I was born in Canada, I have a Canadian SSN , I have property in Quebec, my mother is a Canadian citizen and so are my 3 children.
I was sworn in as an American citizen in 2011, my wife is an American born citizen, under the current Canada USA border situation, can I go and visit my immediate family and can my wife come with me ?
Thank you for any input you may have.
Thank you
Raydu4
As a Canadian citizen I dont think you need to have a reason to go to Canada, your wife should be able to enter as a spouse of a Canadian citizen.

KATHIA08

Jun 15, 2020
I have a question for the TRV. In the first question form of the account, I mean the question form that is filled out before uploading the files. Do you put the option OTHERS also as in Imm 5257, put others on both sides?