+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quick poll: were you successful?

CMcM

Aug 9, 2016
How many people were actually successful on Mon Projet Quebec yesterday? I've put together a quick poll out of curiosity:
poll-maker. com/poll783221x92eC457c-31

(just remove the space in the link)

CMcM

Aug 9, 2016
Thanks - I just realised the results also show where each person is from, which is interesting to see as well.

sunnymaren

Aug 16, 2016
Well so far only 12 people did the poll, so you can't actually draw any conclusions :D. Even if a 1000 participated it's still mostly useless because the people who participated will very likely not be drawn uniformly from the people who participated in the queue...

Anyway, long story short, your chances of beating the queue were about 1/30, assuming you were using a single browser.

With a single browser you would need about 30 years on average to get a CSQ.
With a single browser your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 96%.
With 3 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 90%.
With 10 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 71%.
With 20 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 50%.
With 30 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 36%.
With 50 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 18%.
With 100 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 3%.

Go figure ;).

Btw this also can be used to approximate an answer to your original question.

Let's assume most of the people were using 3 browsers on average (that is because this is what the average person is able to use). Let's assume some didn't learn from last time and were using just one (duh!), other learned and were using much more, but this is likely a minority (due to the technical skills it requires). Then we would be looking at about 50.000 applicants for 5.000 spots.

Note that this is all just guesswork based on my observations... I would be comfortable to put an error margin of factor 3 around it, making the number of applications between 17.000-150.000 and the chances of getting a CSQ between 1/10-1/90.

CMcM

Aug 9, 2016
sunnymaren said:
Well so far only 12 people did the poll, so you can't actually draw any conclusions :D. Even if a 1000 participated it's still mostly useless because the people who participated will very likely not be drawn uniformly from the people who participated in the queue...

Anyway, long story short, your chances of beating the queue were about 1/30, assuming you were using a single browser.

With a single browser you would need about 30 years on average to get a CSQ.
With a single browser your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 96%.
With 3 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 90%.
With 10 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 71%.
With 20 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 50%.
With 30 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 36%.
With 50 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 18%.
With 100 browsers your chances of NOT getting a CSQ are 3%.

Go figure ;).

Btw this also can be used to approximate an answer to your original question.

Let's assume most of the people were using 3 browsers on average (that is because this is what the average person is able to use). Let's assume some didn't learn from last time and were using just one (duh!), other learned and were using much more, but this is likely a minority (due to the technical skills it requires). Then we would be looking at about 50.000 applicants for 5.000 spots.

Note that this is all just guesswork based on my observations... I would be comfortable to put an error margin of factor 3 around it, making the number of applications between 17.000-150.000 and the chances of getting a CSQ between 1/10-1/90.
Thanks for the analysis! I didn't expect a poll to be in any way scientific, just a fun quiz.

Realising how far the odds were against me I feel much better about being unsuccessful! I'm not overly concerned though, once I get my IELTS and TEF scores, my husband and I should have 489 points for express entry so I feel fairly confident about getting an ITA.

sunnymaren

Aug 16, 2016
Mchd12 said:
100 browsers? so basically you needed to hire people from every continent
Let me answer your question with a simple "No". But that's what I meant with technical skills. Of course you can also hire people :D, but there is absolutely no need for them to be on different continents.