+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quick Easy Questions :) (Manila Spouse Sponsor)

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Going to get started on this one soon as I got married and have been living as an expat in Manila for 13 years and now want to bring my wife to Canada to start a new life.

1. I get that after reading some threads that it might take longer due to covid, but was wondering if anyone had any other advice or tips or thoughts that might need to be considered. Anything at all really, things that might not be apparent when you are filling out forms or simply reading news updates and websites.

2. I currently am unemployed (Sponsor) though I do have savings and a plan to get more work when I get back to Canada. Will this have an impact. I wouldn't need to work based on my investments/savings but that is the plan. I would potentially go back ahead of my spouse while waiting for the application to be approved. Just wondering how to handle/discuss this.

I guess that's it for now just trying to figure out how to get started and such and wanted to put it out to some folks that might be able to simply offer some insight; the first part of my research.

Thanks!

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"2. I currently am unemployed (Sponsor) though I do have savings and a plan to get more work when I get back to Canada. Will this have an impact. I wouldn't need to work based on my investments/savings but that is the plan. I would potentially go back ahead of my spouse while waiting for the application to be approved. Just wondering how to handle/discuss this."

As a Canadian citizen, you can initiate a spousal sponsorship from overseas, but unlike a sponsor living in Canada, you need to demonstrate to IRCC that you have a plan to re-establish yourself in Canada, including evidence you've looked for somewhere to live, contacted prospective employers if you plan to work after you return to Canada, or if you have the means to live off of your investments then you'd probably want to have an accountant prepare a statement showing that employment is unnecessary. Whatever is appropriate to your individual situation.