Med's Done....
LC2 8-sep-2012
Passport Req..
LC2 22-jan-13
VISA ISSUED...
LC2 27-july-13(landed)
LANDED..........
March 20,2013
greetings everybody! I am a live-in caregiver in alberta canada and i recently lost my job because my employer couldn't afford to hire me anymore. fortunately, i already finished my 2 years contract for that employer and she gave me a release letter dated aug 30, 2010. now i dont have work and i currently applying for E.I. I applied for my open work permit and PR last april 2010. Now my question is will my application be affected if i move to different address and province? or should i look for a job as a live-in caregiver again? somebody told me that i can just wait for my open permit while on ei. is this true? btw how long does it take for them to issue an open permit? i phoned cic and they told me they recieved it april 19,2010 but not yet start processing and i will have to wait for 4-5 months for confirmation letter. in addition, my work permit will expire on Jan.21,2011 and im worried that i have to exit canada or should i just wait until i recieve my open permit? any bits and pieces of advice will be a great help. thanks in advance.

lenc

Nov 8, 2010
hi lyne,

based from the informations i've read from the cic website, here's what i understand about your situation:
- it's ok to move to a different address as long as you inform the immigration about it. tell them your new address. there's a link somewhere there where you can do that.
- if you will get a new job as a live-in caregiver, you have to make sure that your new employer will process getting a positive LMO for you and then you can apply for a new work permit under that new employer's name, that way you can extend your work permit validity.
- i dont know about getting EI but based on my own thinking, if i were you, i would refrain from getting EI because you have an immigration application in process and if ever they see that you are getting government support, that means you cannot support your own self in canada. that might affect how they decide on your permanent residence in a negative way. so if you could, i suggest you just look hard for a new employer.
- if in case you still cannot find a new employer and your current work permit is about to expire, you can apply for an interim work permit. read about that in the application guide, near the end part of the guide. that would enable you to extend your stay in canada even without a new employer, as you are in between jobs but it is said there that the interim work permit is usually valid for about 2 months only. let's just hope that by that time, you will already receive your open work permit.

hope that helps somehow. :)
GOD bless!

lyne

Star Member
Nov 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LC1 19-apr-2010
AOR Received.
LC2 27-mar-2011
Med's Done....
LC2 8-sep-2012
Passport Req..
LC2 22-jan-13
VISA ISSUED...
LC2 27-july-13(landed)
LANDED..........
March 20,2013
thanks for the advice. Still i have a question is it possible to look job on other provinces of Canada? while my papers is on process to alberta immigration?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Look anywhere in Canada. Go where the jobs are. Just make sure that when CIC sends/requests something from you, there is an address whereby you can be reached

lyne said:
thanks for the advice. Still i have a question is it possible to look job on other provinces of Canada? while my papers is on process to alberta immigration?

daymiel

Apr 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lyne said:
dear lyne,

im pretty sure you can wait in canada until you recieve your open permit if you are on certain stages in your application like in process or medicals etc. in addition, you nannies have a program so i dont think you'll have problems with your application. but there might be backlogs with your application if you have a pending divorce, adoption and etc. in my humble opinion, if i were you, i will look for a job. why wait for your open permit? why claim ei? if you can work, why not? i know some people would rather go for ei then just sit back home, but isnt it better if you work if you can? job_seeker is right, you can go to whatever province you like for a job. i would love to go to SK because its easier there to get PR compare to AB. btw are you married? hehehe just kidding.