+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions related to Spousal Sponsorship

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here about sponsorship! I've been emailing the Canada immigration office in my country but they can't (or not "convenient" to) give me clear answers. I hope perhaps you could help me.

I would like to submit the spousal sponsorship application for my wife in order to get the permanent resident visa. I'm researching two options now – Outland and inland.

Several questions related to outland application (inland application seems more straight forward):

1) From your experience or knowledge, how long is the permanent resident visa valid for usually? Immigration replied me it shouldn't be longer than the 1) Medical Results; 2) The passport expiry date. Perhaps it's decided case by case?

2) If my application is approved, how fast do we need to enter Canada? What is the procedure based on your experience? Do you get right away the permanent resident visa, or you need to first land in order to get the visa?

We're asking these questions as we're a bit confused when we need to start applying. We plan to move earliest end of 2022.

It'd be great to get any advice from you guys!

Thank you all!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here about sponsorship! I've been emailing the Canada immigration office in my country but they can't (or not "convenient" to) give me clear answers. I hope perhaps you could help me.
IRCC will not answer questions that could be construed as advice. It's your responsibility.

Don't take this harshly but your questions don't really make sense.

I would like to submit the spousal sponsorship application for my wife in order to get the permanent resident visa. I'm researching two options now – Outland and inland.
The first most important question: is your spouse in Canada / does he/she have a valid visa or visa waiver to enter Canada?

If not, then it's pointless to discuss inland vs outland.

1) From your experience or knowledge, how long is the permanent resident visa valid for usually? Immigration replied me it shouldn't be longer than the 1) Medical Results; 2) The passport expiry date. Perhaps it's decided case by case?
"Permanent resident visa" is not really a term that makes sense. When you get the single-entry visa to 'land' as a PR (under an outland application), it is indeed usually for one-year from the date of the medical or passport expiry date. There are some modest exceptions to this in covid time.

2) If my application is approved, how fast do we need to enter Canada? What is the procedure based on your experience? Do you get right away the permanent resident visa, or you need to first land in order to get the visa?
This is where your questions don't really make sense. The visa issued with PR status document (called COPR) is the single-entry visa referred to above; the validity period is as discussed above. (It's a bit different if from visa waiver country because ... no visa needed, but the COPR will/would have the same validity date)

Once you land using the visa and/or the COPR, you are a permanent resident.

(Not to complicate, but if in Canada at the time of the PR status being finalized, obviously no visa needed either, because the applicant is already in Canada - right now they do this by means of a 'virtual' landing, ie. they send confirmation that the applicant has become a PR.)

Reactions: esam99

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
Immensely thankful for your answers, it already brings some clarity to my questions, yes I am a bit confused of the terminology, sorry about that!

Could you have a look of my answers below and let me know what you think? Great thanks!

The first most important question: is your spouse in Canada / does he/she have a valid visa or visa waiver to enter Canada?

If not, then it's pointless to discuss inland vs outland.
Yes, she could land with the ETA visa for 6 months.

"Permanent resident visa" is not really a term that makes sense. When you get the single-entry visa to 'land' as a PR (under an outland application), it is indeed usually for one-year from the date of the medical or passport expiry date. There are some modest exceptions to this in covid time.
Sorry for the confusion. I guess I was confusing the "permanent residency" as a visa instead of a status.

May I understand it this way? Once our application is approved, we'll receive a single-entry visa to land as a PR, and this visa has only 1 year validity. That means we must land within 1 year upon receiving this visa?

This is where your questions don't really make sense. The visa issued with PR status document (called COPR) is the single-entry visa referred to above; the validity period is as discussed above. (It's a bit different if from visa waiver country because ... no visa needed, but the COPR will/would have the same validity date)

Once you land using the visa and/or the COPR, you are a permanent resident.
Got it, it clears up some confusion from my side.

(Not to complicate, but if in Canada at the time of the PR status being finalized, obviously no visa needed either, because the applicant is already in Canada - right now they do this by means of a 'virtual' landing, ie. they send confirmation that the applicant has become a PR.)
Okay got it!

For Inland application, I think the difference is that my wife would be in Canada already under a visitor visa, and just need to gain the PR status meanwhile?

It would be so nice if I could hear some experience from anyone who has gone through the procedure!

Thanks all!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, she could land with the ETA visa for 6 months.
May I understand it this way? Once our application is approved, we'll receive a single-entry visa to land as a PR, and this visa has only 1 year validity. That means we must land within 1 year upon receiving this visa?
For Inland application, I think the difference is that my wife would be in Canada already under a visitor visa, and just need to gain the PR status meanwhile?[/QUOTE]

The COPR issued (and visa where needed) is valid typically one year from the date of the medical. (If she is from an ETA country, they would actually not issue the visa, just the COPR). That might be six months or three months or whatever. If it takes longer, she might have to re-do medical, or they may (at their discretion) extend the medical validity giving more time to arrive.

You can apply inland from within Canada (ie she enters Canada before applying). If the process takes longer, can apply to extend the stay.

She can also apply outland and arrive to Canada on the ETA. Likewise, remain and extend as needed.

If she is in Canada when the file is approved ('passport request'), they just issue the COPR/ "virtual landing" directly and she becomes a PR basically by email.

The main differences are: under inland, can apply for an open work permit with the application which may be granted partway through the process (before final PR approval); but, inland applicant should remain in Canada throughout the process (short trips abroad only). Outland: can apply before arriving, no open work permit, no requirement to stay in Canada throughout. In either case, once she becomes a PR - either by arriving in Canada with COPR or being approved while in Canada - she can work and all the rest that a PR is entitled to. (Note: health care is an issue while a visitor. Get insurance)

So assuming she is abroad and you do not know when she will be able to travel to Canada, apply outland (eg now). Travel when appropriate. If she plans to travel to Canada soon, you may want to apply after she arrives as inland.

Since for the most part the files and forms are identical, I'd suggest working through the application package and read the instructions carefully while you get acquainted and collect everything. It will become more clear as you go through and eg read some threads here where you will see experiences. When closer to complete and before submission, you can decide whether inland or outland better for you.

Dream_2020

Star Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hello People,
I have a worry, please let me know you thoughts.
My application for outland spousal sponsorship is in process, I received a letter of pre-arrival services, and another medicals instruction since the first one expired.
I send a webform informing the Embassy that I have new passport and I attached a scanned copy. then I later send the same message with a scanned copy of my passport to the Embassy through email(Not webform). After the email was sent I noticed in the morning that I Included only my application number and I forgot to add my UCI. I immediately send them another email including my UCI.
My worry is sending them TWO EMAILS AND ONE WEBFORM about the same thing will appear as if I'm putting them pressure since as they are currently processing my application, and thus cause delays??

Please let know your thoughts
Many thanks

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello People,
I have a worry, please let me know you thoughts.
My application for outland spousal sponsorship is in process, I received a letter of pre-arrival services, and another medicals instruction since the first one expired.
I send a webform informing the Embassy that I have new passport and I attached a scanned copy. then I later send the same message with a scanned copy of my passport to the Embassy through email(Not webform). After the email was sent I noticed in the morning that I Included only my application number and I forgot to add my UCI. I immediately send them another email including my UCI.
My worry is sending them TWO EMAILS AND ONE WEBFORM about the same thing will appear as if I'm putting them pressure since as they are currently processing my application, and thus cause delays??

Please let know your thoughts
Many thanks
It shouldn't cause any significant delay and I don't think they will consider you are pressuring them.

Dream_2020

Star Member
Mar 8, 2020
Application submitted: Dec, 2019
Application received :Jan, 2020
Biometric Instruction :Feb,2020
Medical Instruction:Feb,2020
Started processing Application: Mar,2021
Pre-arrival :April, 2021
Remedical :April.2021

Remedicals done 2 weeks ago, I got a confirmation email that my medical results have been sent to IRCC, But my ECAS does not show medical receive, Status still says in Process.
Is it normal??????
please help

Dream_2020

Star Member
Mar 8, 2020
Application submitted: Dec, 2019
Application received :Jan, 2020
Biometric Instruction :Feb,2020
Medical Instruction:Feb,2020
Started processing Application: Mar,2021
Pre-arrival :April, 2021
Remedical :April.2021

Remeicals done 2 weeks ago, I got a confirmation email that my medical results have been sent to IRCC, But my ECAS does not show medical receive, Status still says in Process.
Is it normal??????
please help