+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding Spouse sponsorship (outland application) from India

samroro

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen, I live in India with my wife (who is of Indian nationality) and we are applying for her PR. We have been married for two years, and have been living together for those two years. We have a bunch of questions and would appreciate any help if possible!

1. Last year, my wife tried to apply for a tourist visa. Since we did not have our marriage registered and did not have a marriage certificate to show, she applied as an individual though we stated on the application that we would be travelling together. She was denied her visa and the officer stated low finances to be the issue. Will this tourist visa rejection effect her PR application? We've got our marriage registered now, and will have a certificate to show this time.

2. We both have driver licenses, from the state of Maharashtra, but we live in the state of Goa. Since we cannot obtain a Goa drivers license, how important is it for us to show the same address on our drivers licenses? We have other documents such as rental agreements to show that we are currently residing in Goa.

3. If she is applying for PR, does she need to do the IELTS exam? Since this is an outland application, when can she apply for a work permit?

4. As the sponsor, what can I show to prove that I will move to Canada once my wife gets her PR. Can i show Linkedin conversations with recruiters or do I need to produce something more concrete like job offers? How many letters / emails should i produce showing that friends know of our plan to move to Canada (can these be originals or photocopies?)

5. Since it is difficult for us to show old whatsapp conversations of when we met (4 years ago),what else can we show? We have old emails and gmail chat , but the conversations are extremely random. We are also confused as to how much to show?

6. To prove genuineness of the relationship, we not only live together, but we have a functioning joint bank account, mentioned each other as beneficiaries on health and life insurances, lots of photos, but she has not changed her last name on her passport. Is that necessary? Would it help our case if she only changed her name on her passport? Changing names on other local documents can be tedious and difficult.

7. In the relationship information and sponsorship evalutation form (IMM5532), they ask for the sponsors addresses in the past 5 years. There is a small gap when I was travelling Europe and did not have any fixed address i, what should I enter then?

Thanks in advance !

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
1. No, the rejection will not have a negative impact on the application. However, there are a couple of places on the application where they will ask if she has ever been denied entry to Canada and you will need to mention the rejection (if you don't, they will be able to see it anyway, and you will get in trouble for not declaring it on your application). Beyond that, it will not cause any issues.

2. Refer to the application checklist for showing proof of living together. You do not need to provide the drivers licenses as long as you can meet the requirements with other documents.

3. She does not need to do the IELTS exam for spousal sponsorship. There is no work permit option for an outland PR application. She will only be able to work once she lands as a PR in Canada.

4. Yes, you can show LinkedIn conversations with recruiters. You only need to provide a few letters from friends if you choose to go that route. They do not need to be notarized, but it certainly doesn't hurt. You can also include information about where you plan to settle in Canada and why, and information about apartment/homes you are looking at.

5. Again, refer to the application checklist. If you are presently living with your wife, you are not required to submit any conversations.

6. No, they do not expect the wife to always have changed her name. In Quebec, no women change their name after marriage. In Canada it is understood to be a personal choice. Also many people apply immediately after marriage before the name change is even made. It is not a factor in the application.

7. You can write that you were traveling and that you did not have a fixed address (attach an additional sheet with explanation if needed).

samroro

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
Hi there,

We are currently filling out IMM5406. It is our understanding that only the principal applicant (my wife) needs to fill this form out?

- Secondly, here parents divorced a while back and it is not possible for her to find out her dad's address. What should be done then?

- Thirdly, her father had a child, who would be my wife's half brother. Since they have not met / do not speak, we cannot find out the brothers information. What should be done then?

The father and the half brother are not in her life at all, and reaching out to them is not possible. Any help would be appreciated!

samroro

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
Hi there!

Can someone help us with the following questions?

We are currently filling out IMM5406. It is our understanding that only the principal applicant (my wife) needs to fill this form out?

- Secondly, here parents divorced a while back and it is not possible for her to find out her dad's address. What should be done then?

- Thirdly, her father had a child, who would be my wife's half brother. Since they have not met / do not speak, we cannot find out the brothers information. What should be done then?

The father and the half brother are not in her life at all, and reaching out to them is not possible. Any help would be appreciated!