+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding Spouse Sponsorship for my husband

fisa11

Aug 14, 2019
Hi,

I am PR holder and want to apply for my husband sponsorship.
Am I eligible to sponsor my husband since I am unemployed and doesn't have income?
Do I need to be physically present in Canada to sponsor my husband or someone else can also submit the forms on my behalf?
Is it compulsory for me to stay in Canada after I have applied for my Spouse Sponsorship and for how long?
If in case I applied already and if i wanted to travel for sometime will it effect my case process?

Last edited:

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Hi,

Do I need to be physically present in Canada to sponsor my husband?
Is it compulsory for me to stay in Canada after I have applied for my Spouse Sponsorship and for how long?
If I applied already and in case if i wanted to travel for sometime will it effect my case process?
As you are only PR, you have to stay in Canada for the duration of sponsorship (around 1 year). Travel for 2-3 weeks is okay, but anything longer than this will likely affect the application.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Hi,

Am I eligible to sponsor my husband since I am unemployed and doesn't have income?
Do I need to be physically present in Canada to sponsor my husband?
If in case I applied already and if i wanted to travel for sometime will it effect my case process?
Are you on social assistance? Do you have funds in the bank to show you can support your husband and yourself?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
No I am not on any social assistance. I dnt have but my husband have strong financial record.
That does not matter, you have to show immigration that YOU can support both of you. Your husband will need to start transferring money into your account before you apply for his PR (to my best knowledge, maybe a senior member can chime in on this, but as you are the sponsor I believe this to be the case).

fisa11

Aug 14, 2019
That does not matter, you have to show immigration that YOU can support both of you. Your husband will need to start transferring money into your account before you apply for his PR (to my best knowledge, maybe a senior member can chime in on this, but as you are the sponsor I believe this to be the case).
Ok thats very helpful and thanks for your time.
i just wanted to ask that how much time is required for me to complete in Canada in order to sponsor my husband? (because i have not lived in Canada for sometime after getting my PR status.)

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Ok thats very helpful and thanks for your time.
i just wanted to ask that how much time is required for me to complete in Canada in order to sponsor my husband? (because i have not lived in Canada for sometime after getting my PR status.)
Are you still fulfilling your PR obligations? You need to live in Canada for 2 out of the 5 years following your landing date to keep your PR status. How long have you been away?

fisa11

Aug 14, 2019
Are you still fulfilling your PR obligations? You need to live in Canada for 2 out of the 5 years following your landing date to keep your PR status. How long have you been away?
I got my PR in June 2019 and lived for 2 weeks only in Canada and returning back within this month.