+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding spouse OWP

assbutt

Jul 25, 2018
Hello,

I will try to keep this as short as possible while maintaining reasonable levels of relevant information.

My current situation:
  • Entered Canada in Sep 2018 with a study-work permit which ends at the end of Nov 2019.
  • Studied at U of T, finished all academic courses in May 2019 and started co-op internship at a company until end of Aug 2018 (this is also part of the program), NOC type 0.
  • Received a full time offer at the same company, commencing in Sep 2019, right after the internship ends.
  • Based on that I will be applying for either OWP or PGWP.

Now my spouse:
  • We met in spring 2018, after I applied to study in Canada.
  • Got married during winter holidays of 2018-2019, when I was traveling back home.
  • Spouse has been working in the industry for 4 years and has a NOC type 0 job.
  • We recently applied for her OWP.
  • I love her to bits and am DYING to see her.

What my spouse has attached to the application:
  • All the forms needed.
  • Short client information stating her purpose of applying to OWP (i.e. to support me and be with me until the end of my permit).
  • Marriage certificate as proof of relationship.
  • Job reference letter.
  • Property ownership evidence.
  • Bank statement with past 6 months history.
  • University diplomas.

What I have attached to spouse's application.
  • University acceptance letter.
  • My study and work permits.
  • Current employment verification at the company, which lists me as a student, implying internship (i.e. no mention of the full time offer as I didn't have any documents to support that at the time).
  • Current bank statement.
  • Recent payslips.
  • A reference letter from myself with a little bit of details of our relationship (i.e. how we met, when we got married etc.).

My questions and concerns are:
  1. There is marginally above 4 months left until the end of my current permit. Would that be a decisive factor for the officer? I have called IRCC and talked to a few agents, and most of them stated that it shouldn't (some were unsure), but I would also like to hear your thoughts or maybe personal experience.
  2. Based on the information provided above (I know it's not much, but still) what would the weak points of this application be?
  3. Open work permit processing time is currently listed as 6-7 weeks on the government website. But I frequently see numbers like 60 and 90 days when browsing the forums. Which one of these is the correct estimate?

Thank you in advance to anyone responding.

Regards.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

I will try to keep this as short as possible while maintaining reasonable levels of relevant information.

My current situation:
  • Entered Canada in Sep 2018 with a study-work permit which ends at the end of Nov 2019.
  • Studied at U of T, finished all academic courses in May 2019 and started co-op internship at a company until end of Aug 2018 (this is also part of the program), NOC type 0.
  • Received a full time offer at the same company, commencing in Sep 2019, right after the internship ends.
  • Based on that I will be applying for either OWP or PGWP.

Now my spouse:
  • We met in spring 2018, after I applied to study in Canada.
  • Got married during winter holidays of 2018-2019, when I was traveling back home.
  • Spouse has been working in the industry for 4 years and has a NOC type 0 job.
  • We recently applied for her OWP.
  • I love her to bits and am DYING to see her.

What my spouse has attached to the application:
  • All the forms needed.
  • Short client information stating her purpose of applying to OWP (i.e. to support me and be with me until the end of my permit).
  • Marriage certificate as proof of relationship.
  • Job reference letter.
  • Property ownership evidence.
  • Bank statement with past 6 months history.
  • University diplomas.

What I have attached to spouse's application.
  • University acceptance letter.
  • My study and work permits.
  • Current employment verification at the company, which lists me as a student, implying internship (i.e. no mention of the full time offer as I didn't have any documents to support that at the time).
  • Current bank statement.
  • Recent payslips.
  • A reference letter from myself with a little bit of details of our relationship (i.e. how we met, when we got married etc.).

My questions and concerns are:
  1. There is marginally above 4 months left until the end of my current permit. Would that be a decisive factor for the officer? I have called IRCC and talked to a few agents, and most of them stated that it shouldn't (some were unsure), but I would also like to hear your thoughts or maybe personal experience.
  2. Based on the information provided above (I know it's not much, but still) what would the weak points of this application be?
  3. Open work permit processing time is currently listed as 6-7 weeks on the government website. But I frequently see numbers like 60 and 90 days when browsing the forums. Which one of these is the correct estimate?

Thank you in advance to anyone responding.

Regards.
1. As your study permit ends within 4 months, if she is issued an OWP it will only be to the expiry of study permit. Then she would have to apply for an extension as a visitor.
2. Note that until get your PGWP (after your study permit expires) she would not be able to get a SOWP until you have proof that you are working in NOC A, B or O and have 3 pay slips, before she could apply for the SOWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should wait until you get PGWP. Yes the fact the you have ended your studies and your student permit expires soon will certainly factor into whether she is granted a SOWP.

assbutt

Jul 25, 2018
Hi

1. As your study permit ends within 4 months, if she is issued an OWP it will only be to the expiry of study permit. Then she would have to apply for an extension as a visitor.
2. Note that until get your PGWP (after your study permit expires) she would not be able to get a SOWP until you have proof that you are working in NOC A, B or O and have 3 pay slips, before she could apply for the SOWP.
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Would I need 3 payslips after getting the full time offer? Or would internship payslips also be okay (both would be from the same job and at the same company and I was still working full time during the internship).

Last edited:

assbutt

Jul 25, 2018
You should wait until you get PGWP. Yes the fact the you have ended your studies and your student permit expires soon will certainly factor into whether she is granted a SOWP.
Hi,

Thank you.

I do also believe that it would play as a factor in their decision making, not sure if a big one or not though. I wonder why the IRCC agents said it will definitely not affect their decision at all (although they did mention she would get the OWP with the same expiry as my current study-work is, which makes sense).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thank you.

I do also believe that it would play as a factor in their decision making, not sure if a big one or not though. I wonder why the IRCC agents said it will definitely not affect their decision at all (although they did mention she would get the OWP with the same expiry as my current study-work is, which makes sense).
Customer service agents are not always correct.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Would I need 3 payslips after getting the full time offer? Or would internship payslips also be okay (both would be from the same job and at the same company and I was still working full time during the internship).
I believe you can use the co-op pay stubs.

Reactions: assbutt