+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding PRC and SIN, please help…

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
I am planning to make my initial landing during February 2014. Since my initial stay is of less than 14 days I am planning not to apply for SIN card as I believe it will be delivered to me through postal mail (during my absence) and as such may expose it to unauthorized use, like identity theft (this is what I read over the internet). In this regard grateful if someone can answer the following Qs…

1- If I don’t apply for SIN now, how will it affect me in terms of PR Card processing and mailing, are these two interrelated? Will CIC know that I have not applied for SIN Card and as such withheld my PRC or request me to appear in person to collect my PR Card?

2- I am planning to land on Saturday so that the Service Canada office is closed and I will not be forced to apply for SIN card at the Airport, is my understanding correct?

3- Is it possible that I can apply for SIN (at Airport) and request the officer not to mail me the physical card and only request for the number (explaining that I do not have a permanent address now)…….

Appreciate if someone can answer my queries. Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Questions regarding PRC and SIN, please help...

Nobody will force you to apply for a SIN right away if you don't want to.

Regarding PR card, immigration does not care if you have applied for a SIN or not but if you tell them that you do not have a secure mailing address, they may decide to withhold your card until you do. -- If they do, this would mean that after entering Canada, if you do arrange a secure mailing address somehow, you can inform immigration and they will process your PR card and mail it there. If you fail to provide a secure mailing address within 6 months, you would lose your chance at your first free PR card and would have to apply for a card same as people who are renewing. You would have to fill out a form for that and provide new photos.

You can not apply for a PR card from outside Canada so if you were outside Canada without a PR card wanting to return, if you are visa exempt, you can fly on your passport and only when you get to the immigration desk you would state that you are a PR and show your landing documents. If you are not visa exempt, you would either need a US visa and enter Canada by land or you would need to apply for a PR travel document at a Canadian embassy.

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014

Thanks Leon for your detailed response and I hope I understood it correctly. I would provide a secure address for my PR card but will prefer NOT to apply for SIN card.

I need to travel again to Toronto during October 2014 to complete my licensing exams (to practice my profession in Ontario) so definitely need PR Card which can be mailed to my relative’s address and then I can arrange to collect it from her.
I intend to complete all other formalities relating to SIN, driving license and bank account / credit card when I make my final move in December 2014 / January 2015.
Hope the above plan will not interfere in my normal processing of PR Card delivery during my upcoming initial landing (February 2014).

Thanks for your help.

PS: I am not from a visa exempt country and do not have a US visa, so I guess in the unfortunate scenario of not receiving the PR Card the only option would be to apply for a Travel Document, which these days have become a very tedious and difficult process (in Gulf Countries) as usually the visa officer requires us to show that we have severed all our ties to current country of residence (UAE), like resigning from job, selling off car / other personal property etc.

Leon said:
Nobody will force you to apply for a SIN right away if you don't want to.

Regarding PR card, immigration does not care if you have applied for a SIN or not but if you tell them that you do not have a secure mailing address, they may decide to withhold your card until you do. -- If they do, this would mean that after entering Canada, if you do arrange a secure mailing address somehow, you can inform immigration and they will process your PR card and mail it there. If you fail to provide a secure mailing address within 6 months, you would lose your chance at your first free PR card and would have to apply for a card same as people who are renewing. You would have to fill out a form for that and provide new photos.

You can not apply for a PR card from outside Canada so if you were outside Canada without a PR card wanting to return, if you are visa exempt, you can fly on your passport and only when you get to the immigration desk you would state that you are a PR and show your landing documents. If you are not visa exempt, you would either need a US visa and enter Canada by land or you would need to apply for a PR travel document at a Canadian embassy.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

May2010applicant said:
Thanks Leon for your detailed response and I hope I understood it correctly. I would provide a secure address for my PR card but will prefer NOT to apply for SIN card.

I need to travel again to Toronto during October 2014 to complete my licensing exams (to practice my profession in Ontario) so definitely need PR Card which can be mailed to my relative's address and then I can arrange to collect it from her.
I intend to complete all other formalities relating to SIN, driving license and bank account / credit card when I make my final move in December 2014 / January 2015.
Hope the above plan will not interfere in my normal processing of PR Card delivery during my upcoming initial landing (February 2014).

Thanks for your help.

PS: I am not from a visa exempt country and do not have a US visa, so I guess in the unfortunate scenario of not receiving the PR Card the only option would be to apply for a Travel Document, which these days have become a very tedious and difficult process (in Gulf Countries) as usually the visa officer requires us to show that we have severed all our ties to current country of residence (UAE), like resigning from job, selling off car / other personal property etc.
Right, if you provide CIC with the address of a relative, be advised that if they ask if you will be at this address when the PR card arrives and you say no, they may decide to withhold your card until you are back to stay. However, if this happens, you can try the call centre a couple of days later, state that you just landed and that you did not have an address to give but you have arranged an address now and then proceed to give them the same address. In some cases, it's worked :)

If for some reason your PR card doesn't arrive and you are faced with getting a travel document, then you will just have to do that.

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014

Thank you Leon. You are indeed helpful.

Leon said:
Right, if you provide CIC with the address of a relative, be advised that if they ask if you will be at this address when the PR card arrives and you say no, they may decide to withhold your card until you are back to stay. However, if this happens, you can try the call centre a couple of days later, state that you just landed and that you did not have an address to give but you have arranged an address now and then proceed to give them the same address. In some cases, it's worked :)

If for some reason your PR card doesn't arrive and you are faced with getting a travel document, then you will just have to do that.