+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding Police Clearance Certificate (Application for Spouse)

das.cs

Dec 26, 2014
Hello Experts,

I am preparing PR application for my spouse who is currently staying with me in Canada. Before coming in Canada, she lived only in Bangladesh for more than six months. So, one of the PR application requirements is to submit an original Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) issued from Bangladesh. Now, I have two questions regarding this:

Q1. For how long does a PCC remain valid? Would a PCC issued 2 years ago at the time of her departure from Bangladesh would serve the purpose?

Q2. In the application instruction guidelines in CIC website I found a pdf titled "Request for Police Certificates/Clearances and Authorization for Release of Information (PDF, 58.59 KB)". What's the purpose of this document? Is she required to submit this document anywhere?

I will highly appreciate if you could answer these questions. Thank you so much for your time!

Regards,

Das

Hasan9999

Champion Member
Sep 28, 2013
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
SVO
App. Filed.......
August 2013
LANDED..........
December, 2016
das.cs said:
Hello Experts,

I am preparing PR application for my spouse who is currently staying with me in Canada. Before coming in Canada, she lived only in Bangladesh for more than six months. So, one of the PR application requirements is to submit an original Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) issued from Bangladesh. Now, I have two questions regarding this:

Q1. For how long does a PCC remain valid? Would a PCC issued 2 years ago at the time of her departure from Bangladesh would serve the purpose?

Q2. In the application instruction guidelines in CIC website I found a pdf titled "Request for Police Certificates/Clearances and Authorization for Release of Information (PDF, 58.59 KB)". What's the purpose of this document? Is she required to submit this document anywhere?

I will highly appreciate if you could answer these questions. Thank you so much for your time!

Regards,

Das

Hi there,

1) She has to submit new police clearance from Bangladesh. Get copies of her passport attested by Bangladesh HC Ottawa, authorize someone in Bangladesh to apply and collect her police clearance. Taka 500/- has to be deposited through treasury challan.
2) As she is living in Canada over six months she also needs police clearance from Canada. She has to sign authorisation and submit for police clearance.

Hasan

das.cs

Dec 26, 2014
Hi Hasan,

Thanks for your reply. Somewhere in CIC website I saw that a police clearance certificate is not required for Canada. I also talked to CIC call center agent a few days ago and her response was the same. But, your response seems contradictory to their. Did you mean that she will have to sign the "Request for Police Certificates/Clearances and Authorization for Release of Information (PDF, 58.59 KB)" form and include it in her application package? Or, will she have to sign this form, send it somewhere else to request for a police clearance certificate from Canada and then include that police clearance certificate with her application package?

I will highly appreciate if you could clarify.

Thank you very much!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
das.cs said:
Hi Hasan,

Thanks for your reply. Somewhere in CIC website I saw that a police clearance certificate is not required for Canada. I also talked to CIC call center agent a few days ago and her response was the same. But, your response seems contradictory to their. Did you mean that she will have to sign the "Request for Police Certificates/Clearances and Authorization for Release of Information (PDF, 58.59 KB)" form and include it in her application package? Or, will she have to sign this form, send it somewhere else to request for a police clearance certificate from Canada and then include that police clearance certificate with her application package?

I will highly appreciate if you could clarify.

Thank you very much!
Hi, the above poster is not correct, the information you have is. An applicant does NOT need to submit any Canadian clearance upfront, no matter how long they have lived in CAnada. IF CIC decides it is necessary, they will request this during application processing. It's not necessary to have a Canadian clearance done unless you receive this request. Not everyone gets this request.

das.cs

Dec 26, 2014
CDNPR2014 said:
Hi, the above poster is not correct, the information you have is. An applicant does NOT need to submit any Canadian clearance upfront, no matter how long they have lived in CAnada. IF CIC decides it is necessary, they will request this during application processing. It's not necessary to have a Canadian clearance done unless you receive this request. Not everyone gets this request.
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. Does that mean that we can ignore the "Request for Police Certificates/Clearances and Authorization for Release of Information (PDF, 58.59 KB)" form available in Appendix A in the instruction guide at CIC website?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
das.cs said:
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. Does that mean that we can ignore the "Request for Police Certificates/Clearances and Authorization for Release of Information (PDF, 58.59 KB)" form available in Appendix A in the instruction guide at CIC website?
yes, i believe so. i think this form is specific to countries where police records aren't available until a request is made by CIC (which I think is that form?) I don't remember that form, so it could be specific to her home country. I don't think that has to do with Canada. Again, she doesn't need to submit a canadian clearance upfront, only if it's requested.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Bangladesh letter is still valid, if she has NOT returned there since it was issued. CIC changed the rules regarding the validity of PCCs last year.

You do NOT need a PCC from Canada, unless CIC specifically asks for one.

das.cs

Dec 26, 2014
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

CDNPR2014 said:
yes, i believe so. i think this form is specific to countries where police records aren't available until a request is made by CIC (which I think is that form?) I don't remember that form, so it could be specific to her home country. I don't think that has to do with Canada. Again, she doesn't need to submit a canadian clearance upfront, only if it's requested.

das.cs

Dec 26, 2014
Thank you very much for the info!

Ponga said:
The Bangladesh letter is still valid, if she has NOT returned there since it was issued. CIC changed the rules regarding the validity of PCCs last year.

You do NOT need a PCC from Canada, unless CIC specifically asks for one.

nazmulhoque

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
Waiting
I didn't upload the back of my PCC which has a seal for foreign ministry attestation. Will this be a problem? I am 164 days since AoR.

agamps99

Jun 9, 2020
Hi I was 18 yr and 4 months old when i came in Canada went back home like for 5 times and i have stated everything the travel history column but when i entered my PR file there was no checklist for Police Clearance certificate is it normal or there is something to worry?