+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding obtaining PR in Quebec

Iim

Nov 27, 2011
Hi guys, I've been looking into getting PR here in Quebec and to say it's a handful would be an understatement! I should give a little background about myself before I launch into the questions.

I've lived in Quebec since late 2010 and I have been working in my current position for close to 2 years, the last 2 work permits I received was through work. I have received a positive LMO both times. The most recent work permit I have was done through the fast track process as my job was eligible for it. My current work permit expires on February 2015.

So then, onto the questions and I'm sorry if these have been asked before.

I will be (obviously) applying through the skilled worker programme but according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp since I will be in Quebec I am not eligible for it. Does this just mean I have to get the CSQ before I apply or I have to apply to a different programme?

Can I apply for PR while I am inside Canada? I read somewhere over the weekend that I have to leave. I can't find the link now sorry.

More than likely my current work permit will expire before I receive an answer. Do I get implied status in that case?

As I read into it more I'm sure I will have more questions. Thanks in advance!

QuebecPEQ

Jul 17, 2013
You're looking at the wrong program. You need to apply for the Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW) program.

There are two parts to Quebec immigration, the provincial (CSQ) part, and the federal (QSW) part.

CSQ is easy and quick to obtain if you speak an intermediate level of French (B1 at the moment, but B2 as of August 1st, which will apply to you). Otherwise it takes about a year.

You don't need to leave Canada. You won't get implied status on your permit either. You need to be covered by a permit until you get your residency.

QuebecPEQ

Jul 17, 2013
Also, if it wasn't a hint already. Please, dear god, learn French.

You either get your CSQ through the french speakers program (PEQ) or by ticking off against a matrix of points based on your skills and experience. This is REALLY strict at the moment (I didn't qualify for points, so I learned French).

Also, you need to get a mountain of documents together, which can take about a year. Spend that year learning French instead and do PEQ. That's my opinion anyway :)

Iim

Nov 27, 2011
So after I get my CSQ I apply to this programme? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/quebec-apply-application.asp

Yea, my French is terrible. Looking at the points table ignoring French I have 50 points. I do plan on returning to French classes in September though.

From what I have read I can only work on temporary permits in Canada for 4 years, although my first 2 years were open permits and after that for a specific employer, does that make a difference? If it doesn't I can only stay here then until late 2015 so taking into account some time to improve my French, my work permit will expire before I get an answer. If I leave then will my application stay in process?

Thanks for the help.

QuebecPEQ

Jul 17, 2013
Correct regarding the link, I'm not sure about your permit status.

What industry are you in? Is the company that you are with partnered with Montreal International?

Iim

Nov 27, 2011
Aerospace.

I don't think we are partnered with Montreal International because they were never mentioned before and I was the first person they ever got a work permit for.

Do you know if my application would stay in process if I have to leave the country because my work permit expires?

Are you actually expected to have $11,000 in your bank account? I make good money at my job, I thought some pay slips would be enough to prove that I can sustain myself.