+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding new sponsored immigrant.

MrStranger

Mar 14, 2011
Hi,

One of my relative has been granted immigration to Canada (He was sponsored). He will be landing first time soon in the near future in Toronto. He is a gold jeweler back home. I have following questions:

1. Is there a limit on bringing gold jewellery into Canada with him the first time?
2. Is there a limit on bringing money into Canada with him the first time?
3. Is there a form he has to fill out in case he wants to bring his remaining gold jewellery, tools, furniture etc the second time arrival to Canada.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
MrStranger said:
Hi,

One of my relative has been granted immigration to Canada (He was sponsored). He will be landing first time soon in the near future in Toronto. He is a gold jeweler back home. I have following questions:

1. Is there a limit on bringing gold jewellery into Canada with him the first time?
3. Is there a form he has to fill out in case he wants to bring his remaining gold jewellery, tools, furniture etc the second time arrival to Canada.
Hello, I believe that the cash limit is $10,000 Cdn. If anyone brings more, customs can keep it, or if an individual lies about it they can be fined and may be inadmissible. Yes there is a form for other goods but if you just "google" your questions online, you will get all of the up-to-date info. Your relative needs to make sure he follows the rules. Best wishes.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You can bring as much cash as you like. The only limit is on the requirement to declare it if you are carrying more than 10,000. Make sure that you can prove where it came from and that it's not proceeds of criminal activity. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5052-eng.html

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MrStranger said:
Hi,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp has the required information and links.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
zardoz said:
You can bring as much cash as you like. The only limit is on the requirement to declare it if you are carrying more than 10,000. Make sure that you can prove where it came from and that it's not proceeds of criminal activity. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5052-eng.html
Ahhh...thanks for the correction zardoz and +1 for helping a "stranger" :D. Blessings.

MrStranger

Mar 14, 2011
zardoz said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp has the required information and links.
But my relative is immigrating into Canada, that doesn’t mean he can bring as much money\gold as he can the first time.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MrStranger said:
But my relative is immigrating into Canada, that doesn't mean he can bring as much money\gold as he can the first time.
No. There is a limit in how much he/she can transfer over in cash/gold even for first time. This is for carrying undecleared cash/gold. He/she can send the money over to Canada via wire transfer for any amount he/she wants to move. This will allow she/he to move more than 10,000 worth of money as this way can be traceable. But for hard currency/physical gold to move across borders, it is must not extend 10000 worth. Otherwise you must declare it.

This is purely my opinion as I am not the expert on international transfer of money/goods.

Screech339

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MrStranger said:
But my relative is immigrating into Canada, that doesn't mean he can bring as much money\gold as he can the first time.
As long as it has been declared, he can bring as much as he likes.

erikaferns

Dec 26, 2018
As long as it has been declared, he can bring as much as he likes.
Hi ,
I did my soft landing in Dec 2019. At the airport I was asked abt the gold I was to carry and well since I did not have the pics I said whatever’s on my body and they ticked it off as imported .
I left within a week’s time and I’m traveling there permanently in May 2021. My question is can I carry my gold and if the total worth of Cash and gold is more than CAD 10000 and I declare it do I have to pay tax or anything??

Please help .
Thanks !

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi ,
I did my soft landing in Dec 2019. At the airport I was asked abt the gold I was to carry and well since I did not have the pics I said whatever’s on my body and they ticked it off as imported .
I left within a week’s time and I’m traveling there permanently in May 2021. My question is can I carry my gold and if the total worth of Cash and gold is more than CAD 10000 and I declare it do I have to pay tax or anything??

Please help .
Thanks !
Originally you said you travel this month and now May 2021. Why don't you travel until covid is over?

erikaferns

Dec 26, 2018
Originally you said you travel this month and now May 2021. Why don't you travel until covid is over?
Nothing more to ask Mr.Steaky??
Want any more personal information??
I’m surprised in these uncertain times with COVID and the whole economic situation you don’t believe in change in travel plans.

well if you have some useful information then I’m grateful..there’s no need to be an ass.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi ,

Please help .
Thanks !
All on the CBSA site. You must declare.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/declare-eng.html

erikaferns

Dec 26, 2018
Hi Thank You !
The declaration is fine .. I’m just not sure which category I fall under .. coz the exemption for returning residents is like CAD 800 but I never really left anything behind .. everything I carried there I carried back with me since I was there only for a week .
So what I would like to know is if I would be taxed .The jewelry I refer to is the one I wear on my body not something I’ll carry separately.
Do advise .
Thanks!