+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding common law application

rblack

Jul 24, 2009
Hey everyone

Thanks to Leon he told me about how I can get into Canada as a PR through Common Law with my Canadian Girlfriend.
Before I start the application process I want to make sure I have everything needed to apply.

1. I came into Canada on jan 21 2008 with a 1 year work visa
2. I met my girlfriend in March 2008
3. Moved in with my girlfriend on October/November 2008 (we moved into her parents basement and have no written proof of that as I never signed any documents)
4. applied for another one year work visa late 2008
5. Crossed border to usa and came back to Canada and got my new 1 year Visa on January 25 2009
6. Went back to New Zealand in June 21 becuase Family things (brothers 21st. Mums birthday, friends wedding & friend having a baby)
7. I'll be getting back in mid Sept 2009 (when everything is over) and will continue living with my girlfriend untill my visa runs out on Jan 25 2010.

Do I have enough time living with my girlfriend to apply? Not 12 consecutive months, but that was becasue of me going for family reasons and her not wanting to come becasue of work/school (although in the last 15 I was with her for 12 months and left for 3 months but were still together and came back and continued to live with each other.

And becuase I have no proof but her parents word on when I moved in will that count? And because it was thier place (we lived in the basement), they paid all utilities and I never got any mail sent to me untill I got a contract cell phone in late December 2008/jan 2009.

We will also get a joint bank account when I get back to Calgary becasue we will eventually need one for proof of us living in Common Law.

We are in love but the only reason we dont get married is becasue shes 19 almost 20 and she doesnt want to get married untill she has finished schooling and we dont think that rushing into getting married will do us good in the long run.

Thanks,
Russell

rblack

Jul 24, 2009
Also, I have jsut read that my sponser would need to be able to support me financially.

She is a student at uni and works part time, is there a minimum amount of income per year she must have to show to sponser me? or do I have to show I have x amount of money to live while waiting for the application to get processed? Or is it a household income level or personal income level?

I have around 10,000 CAD in my bank, would that be enough? we dont pay rent becuse we are living in the parents basement.

Thanks

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Income is not a requirement for spousal sponsorships but it would be wise to explain in a note how you both intend to sustain yourselves.

rblack

Jul 24, 2009
Thanks.

So what I'm assuming is that the more you explain yourself and the relationship on seperate sheets of paper the more likely the IO is to gather a full picture of what you are about and how its going to work
and hopefuly that give you more of a chance to be accepted.

It keeps looking better and better the deeper I get into this..

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
You want to answer all the questions you think may raise concerns in your application. Paints a better picture for the IO. :)