+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding BSF186

mahmooz

Oct 16, 2020
Hi All,

I've searched around for a few threads, but I still have a few more questions about how the import process will work. I'm a Canadian citizen returning from being in the US for 3+ years. I understand that I have to bring a list of everything on my person that I'm bringing into Canada, along with a list of goods to follow, but I'm confused about the following:

1. Do I need to fill out two different BSF186 forms? One for goods that I'm bringing personally and one for those that will follow? I see a "Goods to follow" checkbox on the form itself, but does checking "Yes" mean that entire form pertains to goods that will follow?

2. I believe I only fir the "Former Resident" classification type, however it requires that all goods declared on that form (and the corresponding BSF186A) were "owned, possessed and used" for at least 6 months prior to coming back to Canada, however how do I go about declaring goods that do not meet this? I have some furniture that I recently purchased, as I understand it since it's manufactured in the USA I'll simply have to pay the HST on it:
2a) Is there a separate form for this?
2b) When do I make the payment, is it when I fly across, or when I pickup my goods?
2c) Can the goods that I've owned for less than 6 months be in the same shipping container as the goods that I've owned for more than 6 months?

3. I'm using a U-Pack trailer to ship my goods across the border, do I need to have the BSF186 filled out prior to shipping the goods? Or do I only provide it at the airport when I fly across?

Thank you!!

EDIT: After googling around a bit more, I think that for goods that I have to import, I need to fill out BSF192, is that correct?

Last edited:

gary51956

Dec 11, 2019
Hi All,

I've searched around for a few threads, but I still have a few more questions about how the import process will work. I'm a Canadian citizen returning from being in the US for 3+ years. I understand that I have to bring a list of everything on my person that I'm bringing into Canada, along with a list of goods to follow, but I'm confused about the following:

1. Do I need to fill out two different BSF186 forms? One for goods that I'm bringing personally and one for those that will follow? I see a "Goods to follow" checkbox on the form itself, but does checking "Yes" mean that entire form pertains to goods that will follow?

2. I believe I only fir the "Former Resident" classification type, however it requires that all goods declared on that form (and the corresponding BSF186A) were "owned, possessed and used" for at least 6 months prior to coming back to Canada, however how do I go about declaring goods that do not meet this? I have some furniture that I recently purchased, as I understand it since it's manufactured in the USA I'll simply have to pay the HST on it:
2a) Is there a separate form for this?
2b) When do I make the payment, is it when I fly across, or when I pickup my goods?
2c) Can the goods that I've owned for less than 6 months be in the same shipping container as the goods that I've owned for more than 6 months?

3. I'm using a U-Pack trailer to ship my goods across the border, do I need to have the BSF186 filled out prior to shipping the goods? Or do I only provide it at the airport when I fly across?

Thank you!!

EDIT: After googling around a bit more, I think that for goods that I have to import, I need to fill out BSF192, is that c

gary51956

Dec 11, 2019
You will need bsf186 for goods that you have in possession of and will also need 1 for goods to follow. You will need to give U Pack a copy of the bsf186 that you will present at the airport for goods to follow.

mahmooz

Oct 16, 2020
Just called CBSA the agent wasn't helpful, but after explaining my situation in a few different ways I believe shipping the goods in the same container is fine, as long as I declare everything at the border they should be able to provide me with the correct documentation (BSF192 and BSF186)

daniel_1

Aug 21, 2020
I'm on the same boat. I did some research and found the offical form is not needed. It could be filled at the border. Two lists of items (one for bringing and one for following) should be fine. I'm expecting the officer will assign the correct forms to me while crossing the border. Then after quarantine, I could use the the form to claim my goods.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I'm on the same boat. I did some research and found the offical form is not needed. It could be filled at the border. Two lists of items (one for bringing and one for following) should be fine. I'm expecting the officer will assign the correct forms to me while crossing the border. Then after quarantine, I could use the the form to claim my goods.
1. Unlikely to happen, the POE officer may give you the forms, but you will have to sit down and fill them out if you want them stamped.

jamieheatherr

Oct 3, 2019
Trois-Rivières, QC
App. Filed.......
20-08-2019
AOR Received.
01-10-2019
So I'm in a similar situation, shipping my stuff with ABF U Pack, however I'm an inland applicant and won't be crossing the border at all. Since I won't be with my belongings when they cross I'm confused as to how the BSF186 form gets handled...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I'm in a similar situation, shipping my stuff with ABF U Pack, however I'm an inland applicant and won't be crossing the border at all. Since I won't be with my belongings when they cross I'm confused as to how the BSF186 form gets handled...
Just go to the nearest CBSA customs office to get your paper work done.

Reactions: gary51956

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do I do this before the goods arrive at customs so they can clear? Or I just send a copy with ABF and do it after?
What is ABF? Never mind it's the shipping company. Will the shipping company going to do clear customs for you? In any case you would need to have the paperwork done before goods arrive.

Reactions: jamieheatherr

daniel_1

Aug 21, 2020
What is ABF? Never mind it's the shipping company. Will the shipping company going to do clear customs for you? In any case you would need to have the paperwork done before goods arrive.
At least the moving company I'm hiring needs me to take the abf form to the border to claim my goods.

Reactions: jamieheatherr

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hi all,

Related question here, would appreciate any inputs. I am returning to Canada after a period of 2.5 years. I went there first in 2018, stayed for 4 days made my PR entry and came back to US. Now I am planning to settle in Canada. My question is

1. Am I considered a settler or former resident ?
2. If I am a former resident, is the Goods to Follow document I filled in 2018 invalid now ? Do I need to fill fresh forms (Goods to Accompany and Follow)?
3. I had declared my car in the Goods to Follow list in 2018. Will I have to pay import duty/tax on it to bring it in Canada now ?
4. For heavy duty items like car, who decides its present value ? Is it something I enter of my own accord?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi all,

Related question here, would appreciate any inputs. I am returning to Canada after a period of 2.5 years. I went there first in 2018, stayed for 4 days made my PR entry and came back to US. Now I am planning to settle in Canada. My question is

1. Am I considered a settler or former resident ?
2. If I am a former resident, is the Goods to Follow document I filled in 2018 invalid now ? Do I need to fill fresh forms (Goods to Accompany and Follow)?
3. I had declared my car in the Goods to Follow list in 2018. Will I have to pay import duty/tax on it to bring it in Canada now ?
4. For heavy duty items like car, who decides its present value ? Is it something I enter of my own accord?
If you already processed your goods to follow, you don't have to worry about settler or former resident or value of the goofs that you declared. You could just bring in the stuffs you had listed in goods to follow tax free.

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
If you already processed your goods to follow, you don't have to worry about settler or former resident or value of the goofs that you declared. You could just bring in the stuffs you had listed in goods to follow tax free.
Thanks a lot! I'll share my experience once I get there