+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions re common law sponsorship

billfish87

Jul 5, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen looking to sponsor my British partner. I've read into it a lot but have a few questions before we start setting up the application.

1- We have been living together for over three years but have been tliving abroad in different countries the whole time. In some countries, our accommodation was provided so we did not have a lease or anything. We have also spent a lot of time traveling ie living in hotels and tents. We are currently living in Australia in a van. We have contracts from some of our jobs stating that it provided our accommodation and I could give picture evidence or even letters from employers or friends stating we have been living together. We have a joint bank account but not sure if that is enough...

2- We are currently living in Australia so will probably start the application there; however, we plan on spending a year or so traveling before arriving in Canada to settle. Do we need to stay put in the country where the application begins? And is there any time limit for entering Canada once we have been accepted?

Thanks a lot!

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
billfish87 said:
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen looking to sponsor my British partner. I've read into it a lot but have a few questions before we start setting up the application.

1- We have been living together for over three years but have been tliving abroad in different countries the whole time. In some countries, our accommodation was provided so we did not have a lease or anything. We have also spent a lot of time traveling ie living in hotels and tents. We are currently living in Australia in a van. We have contracts from some of our jobs stating that it provided our accommodation and I could give picture evidence or even letters from employers or friends stating we have been living together. We have a joint bank account but not sure if that is enough...

2- We are currently living in Australia so will probably start the application there; however, we plan on spending a year or so traveling before arriving in Canada to settle. Do we need to stay put in the country where the application begins? And is there any time limit for entering Canada once we have been accepted?

Thanks a lot!
Here is a list of some items to provide as proof to get you started: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

I'm not 100% sure on the answer to your second question.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
billfish87 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot!
You probably shouldn't apply till you are actually ready to relocate. The reason for this is 1) They will likely require proof from both of you that you intend to relocate to Canada. You'll be expected to show things like plans for housing, job searches etc. 2) The COPR is only good till your medical expires. So, you'll only have a year from the date of your medical to land in Canada. You could draw out the time a little by not submitting the medical upfront and waiting for them to request it, might save a couple months.

As for your non-standard living situation as common-law, that depends. You need some "hard" evidence of it. If you've stayed in tents and hostiles, you could match pictures with the receipts from the hostels/campsites, show payments made from bank accounts and credit cards.
You could show tickets and itinerary for both of you that match that cover the years, and so on.