+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions on Parent's Super Visa

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
Hi everyone.

I have moved to Canada about 8 months ago on a PRand lives with my wife and 3 year old boy in GTA, Ontario. I also successfully found a relevant job that qualifies LICO figures (for 5 people) to apply for a super visa.

While I read through the web pages, here are the list of questions that appeared in my mind.

1. Cic website states 'Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years at a time in Canada'.
Some of my friends said parents can be here for 2 years together during their first visit and after 2 years it is limited to 6 months per stay. But the statement above doesn't mean that. My understanding is they can live here with me for 2 years and after 2 years they need to exit Canada and reenter again after a set period to live for 2 years together again and this goes on until the visa expires.
Please enlighten is my understanding correct? If someone say it is correct, please mention what is the set period they have to be away from Canada to reenter again.

2. I checked for super visa insurance costs online and it showed up expensive quotes. What will be the actual cost in CAD for both aging 60 and above. Any one who applied for it can comment please.

Thanks.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have moved to Canada about 8 months ago on a PRand lives with my wife and 3 year old boy in GTA, Ontario. I also successfully found a relevant job that qualifies LICO figures (for 5 people) to apply for a super visa.
If you're considering applying for super visas for your parents then you may have to shelve the super visa applications until you can prove you meet LICO for 5 persons.

Merely having an offer of employment or a couple of pay stubs does not prove the LICO requirements. You need to wait until you have at least one NOA.

1. Cic website states 'Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years at a time in Canada'.
Some of my friends said parents can be here for 2 years together during their first visit and after 2 years it is limited to 6 months per stay.
Your friends are partially correct. How long someone is allowed to stay when s/he first arrives would depend on the immigration officer at the POE. It would even be for 6 months like a typical TRV entry.

The 6 months extension your friends mentioned are for cases where the parents applied to extend their authorized stay and they did not go across to the US on day trips.

My understanding is they can live here with me for 2 years and after 2 years they need to exit Canada and reenter again after a set period to live for 2 years together again and this goes on until the visa expires.
Please enlighten is my understanding correct?
If this is the case, we would not need the PGP lottery system to keep the parents in Canada on PRs.

No, your understanding is incorrect because sooner or later the officer at the POE will realize that the super visa parent is violating visa privileges and could be denied entry and sent back to the US. We have seen one such case recently.

If someone say it is correct, please mention what is the set period they have to be away from Canada to reenter again.
The parent can apply to extend his/her stay on the initial super visa entry. S/he can apply for these extensions multiple times without returning to the home country. But, eventually the extension will be refused. When that happens the parent must return to the home country and stay there for at least one year before attempting another re-entry.

2. I checked for super visa insurance costs online and it showed up expensive quotes. What will be the actual cost in CAD for both aging 60 and above. Any one who applied for it can comment please.
It depends on a number of factors + the health of your parents. You would need to check with the insurers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you're considering applying for super visas for your parents then you may have to shelve the super visa applications until you can prove you meet LICO for 5 persons.

Merely having an offer of employment or a couple of pay stubs does not prove the LICO requirements. You need to wait until you have at least one NOA.

Your friends are partially correct. How long someone is allowed to stay when s/he first arrives would depend on the immigration officer at the POE. It would even be for 6 months like a typical TRV entry.

The 6 months extension your friends mentioned are for cases where the parents applied to extend their authorized stay and they did not go across to the US on day trips.

If this is the case, we would not need the PGP lottery system to keep the parents in Canada on PRs.

No, your understanding is incorrect because sooner or later the officer at the POE will realize that the super visa parent is violating visa privileges and could be denied entry and sent back to the US. We have seen one such case recently.

The parent can apply to extend his/her stay on the initial super visa entry. S/he can apply for these extensions multiple times without returning to the home country. But, eventually the extension will be refused. When that happens the parent must return to the home country and stay there for at least one year before attempting another re-entry.

It depends on a number of factors + the health of your parents. You would need to check with the insurers
A couple thousand dollars is much better than a much larger bill if your parents have a medical emergency.

manbrar

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
hello guys i need help ... i applied visitor visa for my mother who lives india. i applied few year ago her visitor visa and after that supervisa but they rejected her application. this time my mom mention about her visitor visa previously rejected but she forgot to tell about supervisa rejected too i m so
worried it will effect on her visitor visa application ? plz advise thnku

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
hello guys i need help ... i applied visitor visa for my mother who lives india. i applied few year ago her visitor visa and after that supervisa but they rejected her application. this time my mom mention about her visitor visa previously rejected but she forgot to tell about supervisa rejected too i m so
worried it will effect on her visitor visa application ? plz advise thnku
Do send a IRCC web form and an email to her local visa office. She must state that she unintentionally forgot to mention about the super visa refusal

Reactions: manbrar

manbrar

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Do send a IRCC web form and an email to her local visa office. She must state that she unintentionally forgot to mention about the super visa refusal
thnku fr rply .. if we didnt send u think it will effect on her application? thnku

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015

The below is what is mentioned in the website where letter from the employer wouldn't suffice?

Financial support (proof of funds)
The child or grandchild who invites you must prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income. The following documents are examples of what can be used as proof of funds:

• Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
  • Employment Insurance stubs
  • employment letter including salary and date of hiring
  • pay stubs
  • bank statements
-------------------------------

The webpage says visa will allow you to stay with your children for up to 2 years. If immigration officer gives a 6 months TRV entry like you mentioned, wouldn't the applicant look like an idiot to apply for super visa - take the pains of getting private coverage, medical exam to get 6 months visa like a regular visitor visa?

------------------------------------------

PGP lottery is for parents to live in Canada as a PR. Until they don't reach that status, their health is privately covered. I don't see a point in why they can't stay for 2 years together as a Super visa holders. Website says the lottery is over and you can stay for 2 years, apply for super visa. The website is not having elaborate pages of explanation of do's and don't of this visa type like the express entry page.

-------------------------------------------

Thanks for sharing. It is a grey area. Glad you mentioned about it.

-------------------------------------------

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@fatehelps

How do you plan to convince IRCC that you have stable employment since X years + stable income to support your parents' stay for up to two years on their initial visit?

Keep in mind that parents can stay temporarily on super visas..... and super visas are not intended for stay as pseudo-PRs.

Here's the document checklist for super visas for India applicants:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5881E.pdf

Proof of the inviter’s ability to provide promised financial support including but not limited to:
 Notice of Assessment (NOA) for the past three tax years;
 employment letter identifying salary,
 pay stubs, bank statements, etc.

satyam_shivam

May 12, 2018
@Bryanna Hi,
I came to Canada in Mar2019, my parents are visiting me on Visitor Visa (got approved)
My mom's passport is valid until early 2021 so we will apply for renewal in 2020, which is why I did not apply for Super Visa in the first place.
Can I apply for their Super Visa a month before their (Visitor Visa ) 6 months stay duration completes, or
When would it be best to apply for their Super Visa?
Do they need to go back and then apply for Super Visa?
If yes, then for how long should we wait before applying for Super Visa from home country.

Thank You.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Bryanna Hi,
I came to Canada in Mar2019, my parents are visiting me on Visitor Visa (got approved)
My mom's passport is valid until early 2021 so we will apply for renewal in 2020, which is why I did not apply for Super Visa in the first place.
Can I apply for their Super Visa a month before their (Visitor Visa ) 6 months stay duration completes, or
When would it be best to apply for their Super Visa?
Do they need to go back and then apply for Super Visa?
If yes, then for how long should we wait before applying for Super Visa from home country.

Thank You.
She needs to return home to apply. There are no exact guideline about how long you should wait to apply but she should establish herself again.

satyam_shivam

May 12, 2018
She needs to return home to apply. There are no exact guideline about how long you should wait to apply but she should establish herself again.
@canuck78 Thank you so much for your reply. Appreciate your time.
Would you please elaborate more on 'Establishing again' ? I would like to ensure that I am not skipping anything which could cause me to be away from my dear parents. All your help is much appreciated.

pesarak007

Dec 26, 2015
My parents applied for a visitor visa back in 2017 and got it. They have already been to Canada twice since then and have had no issues. however, their visa is going to be valid for two more years. My question is, while they have a valid visa for two more years, can I apply for a supervisa for them? I want them to stay longer with me this time. I am single, a Canadian citizen and professionally employed for more than seven years.

abbycee

Dec 17, 2022
Whats the best travel duration to use when applying for a supervisa? Does the time the parent will be in Canada for have to be more than 6 months? Can I say the parent is coming for two months? I feel the longer the duration stated in the application, the more the ties to home and finances will be scrutinised. Is this correct?
Also, if I say the parent is staying for 3 months for example, will the insurance still have to be for an entire year?
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Whats the best travel duration to use when applying for a supervisa? Does the time the parent will be in Canada for have to be more than 6 months? Can I say the parent is coming for two months? I feel the longer the duration stated in the application, the more the ties to home and finances will be scrutinised. Is this correct?
Also, if I say the parent is staying for 3 months for example, will the insurance still have to be for an entire year?
Thanks
You need to buy insurance for the full year but should be able to get a refund for unused full months when you leave Canada. Would read the policy about receiving refund for unused months upon leaving Canada. You used to have to indicate a visit over 6 months to be considered for a supervisa versus a normal visitor visa but I believe the new online application lets you select applying for a supervisa or a normal visa. I would still suggest indicating a stay over 6 months.