+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions on Insurance, etc

rockmyway

Jan 7, 2018
Hi,

I will be making a soft landing in Toronto and will stay there for a couple of weeks. I need help with the following questions, and will appreciate any help based on your experience:

1. Insurance - Should I book health and travel insurance from an Indian company like ICICI/HDFC, or a Canada based company? What is your recommendation because I believe the healthcare coverage only kicks-in after 3 months or so.

2. Cell Network - What is your recommendation on a good and cost-effective cell-phone network? I want a network that can be on roaming when I return to India (Delhi) and can receive/make calls from this Canadian number at a low cost.

3. Canadian Bank - Which bank would you recommend I open my bank account in? I am looking for low fees for current account and good facility for transferring money from India.

Thank you very much in advance for your responses!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I will be making a soft landing in Toronto and will stay there for a couple of weeks. I need help with the following questions, and will appreciate any help based on your experience:

1. Insurance - Should I book health and travel insurance from an Indian company like ICICI/HDFC, or a Canada based company? What is your recommendation because I believe the healthcare coverage only kicks-in after 3 months or so.

2. Cell Network - What is your recommendation on a good and cost-effective cell-phone network? I want a network that can be on roaming when I return to India (Delhi) and can receive/make calls from this Canadian number at a low cost.

3. Canadian Bank - Which bank would you recommend I open my bank account in? I am looking for low fees for current account and good facility for transferring money from India.

1. Would go with a Canada based company. You will only qualify to apply for healthcare when you settle in Canada permanently. Don’t apply unless you plan on returning in a month.

2. Won’t be possible to return home and use the number unless cost isn’t an issue.

4. Any of the major banks. You don’t want to create too many ties to Canada unless you plan on returning soon.

Reactions: rockmyway

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
Hi,

1. I recommend a Canadian based insurer for faster processing in case required.
2. Would recommend FIDO, however just choose the lowest plan and just bring your own phone.
3. TD, Scotiabank and RBC normally have programs for newly landed immigrants. Just be careful because some of the programs will charge you a monthly fee after 1 year and have not maintained a minimum balance in the account.