+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions on Flagpoling

Phe

May 11, 2010
Hi guys

Just a few questions on the process of flagpoling..

I am about to receive my PR via spousal sponsorship, but am already currently residing in Canada on a visitors visa. I plan on going through the flagpoling process,
1. Am i able to do this at anytime at my convenience?
2. My husband who is a Canadian citizen plans on accompanying me to the border... would it be an issue if we drove a rental car to the border and then back into Canada?

Thanks
Phelia.

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Hi Phe,

1) Yes, as long as both borders are open (not sure what time of day you were going - some borders are not 24 hours.)

2) I don't see why it'd be an issue... just make sure you have permission from the company you rented it from (to temporarily cross the border) and have the rental paperwork nearby to show to the IO, if they ask about the vehicle. As you're simply flagpoling, it shouldn't be any issue. They'll have you sign something, and have you turn around and re-enter Canada.

Phe

May 11, 2010
Another question i forgot to ask...
I plan to flagpole at Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls... does anyone know if i would be able to perform a U-Turn before reaching the US border? I read i various places that a lot of people have crossed the Canadian side, and then turned back before hitting the US side, then carry out their landing procedures when they enter back into Canada. Is this possible on Rainbow Bridge? I heard theres a 'Return to Canada' lane or something which you can drive into before you hit the US.

Also, what documents would be required? I know my passport and PR letter, but im not sure what else?

Just a little bit of background info... i have been residing in Canada as on a TRV for the past 3 months, with my husband who is a Canadian citizen supporting me. Hence, obtaining a PR via the family class.

Thanks again

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your visa will have an expiration date on it. You just have to do it sometime before then. Mine was good for several months.

Phe

May 11, 2010
Abedelia, thanks...

Have a couple more questions:
I plan to flagpole at Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls... does anyone know if i would be able to perform a U-Turn before reaching the US border? I read i various places that a lot of people have crossed the Canadian side, and then turned back before hitting the US side, then carry out their landing procedures when they enter back into Canada. Is this possible on Rainbow Bridge? I heard theres a 'Return to Canada' lane or something which you can drive into before you hit the US.

Also, what documents would be required? I know my passport and PR letter, but im not sure what else?

Just a little bit of background info... i have been residing in Canada as on a TRV for the past 3 months, with my husband who is a Canadian citizen supporting me. Hence, obtaining a PR via the family class.