Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Hello,

I am a US/Canada citizen in the process of completing the immigration application form for my spouse to sponsor her as a permanent resident in Canada. We are currently USA residents and living together for the last 11 years. I have one step-daughter (19 yrs old from my wife's previous marriage) and two children from our current marriage who are dual citizens (US & Canada - I already have their Canadian citizenship cards). Our planned move date is August 2011. I need help with the following questions:

1) Do we have to list our two children on the immigration forms that my spouse has to complete or only her 19 year old daughter?
2) Our 19 year old daughter (my step-daughter) is not joining us. Do we still need to complete her police clearance/medical in addition to listing her on the application?
3) I just found out that the FBI police clearance takes up to 12 weeks upon receipt. Can we go ahead and send the application in and then follow up with the police clearance information at a later date?
4) On the application forms and related addendums, it does not specify what needs to be written on the back of each photo except the full name and DOB. Should it be stamped by the photographer? Each photo?
5) The DMP doctor we contacted said they need 4 photos as well appendix C. Is this in addition to the 4 photos required with the application for a total of 8 per person being sponsored?
6) I assume it would be quicker to have the application forms sent to the Buffalo processing center for quicker turnaround? I hear this is called outland processing?

Thank you!

Nazir

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
nazirv said:
Hello,

I am a US/Canada citizen in the process of completing the immigration application form for my spouse to sponsor her as a permanent resident in Canada. We are currently USA residents and living together for the last 11 years. I have one step-daughter (19 yrs old from my wife's previous marriage) and two children from our current marriage who are dual citizens (US & Canada - I already have their Canadian citizenship cards). Our planned move date is August 2011. I need help with the following questions:
nazirv said:
1) Do we have to list our two children on the immigration forms that my spouse has to complete or only her 19 year old daughter?
Only her and her 19 yr old daughter. Your other two children are not being sponsored as they are Canadian citizens.
nazirv said:
2) Our 19 year old daughter (my step-daughter) is not joining us. Do we still need to complete her police clearance/medical in addition to listing her on the application?
If she is not married or living common-law, then Yes; she will be designated "non-accompanying", but still needs to undergo medical and FBI clearance to preserve her right to be sponsored later, up until age 22. PM me, though, if she's even been arrested for anything.
nazirv said:
3) I just found out that the FBI police clearance takes up to 12 weeks upon receipt. Can we go ahead and send the application in and then follow up with the police clearance information at a later date?
Yes, if it's not included with the application, Buffalo will send a letter requesting it when they get the application. Be aware that this can delay processing, though, because they will usually give you 90 days to follow through on a request and they won't process the application in the meantime, even if they receive the FBI clearance before the 90 days is passed.
nazirv said:
4) On the application forms and related addendums, it does not specify what needs to be written on the back of each photo except the full name and DOB. Should it be stamped by the photographer? Each photo?
The answer to this is in the Application Guide - full name and DOB written on the back of "one and only one photo" of each family member. The photographer will usually stamp the back with their name and the date the photo was taken. The applicant writes the name and DOB.
nazirv said:
5) The DMP doctor we contacted said they need 4 photos as well appendix C. Is this in addition to the 4 photos required with the application for a total of 8 per person being sponsored?
Yes
nazirv said:
6) I assume it would be quicker to have the application forms sent to the Buffalo processing center for quicker turnaround? I hear this is called outland processing?
Yes, this is outland processing - but you don't send the application forms directly to Buffalo. You will send the entire package to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga where they first assess your eligibility to sponsor. Don't forget to include proofs of your intention to return to Canada if you've been residing in the States. After CPC-M approves you (assuming they do), they will transfer the application to Buffalo where your wife's part of the application is assessed and finalized.

"Inland processing" is where the entire process happens within Canada, and would only be used in a case where the applicant is staying in Canada exclusively. Nobody is required, however, to apply inland - even when they are in Canada. There are some significant disadvantages to the "inland" process that people need to be aware of (longer processing time, loss of appeal rights, no travel), and in most cases, it is not of any advantage at all to a US citizen applicant.

If you'd like more specific info pertaining to US spousal applicants immigrating to Canada, check out the US2Canada website.

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Thanks for the detailed answers RobsLuv! Few more clarification comments/questions.

2) Our 19 yr old daughter does not any criminal record. She can only be sponsored up until age 22? Does that mean there would be no need for another medical/police clearance? What happens when she is 23?

3) So it would be best to wait for the FBI clearance letter prior to sending our application in for processing? I was hoping to expedite the process without it.

4) I would need to have two photographs stamped and include a DOB and full name since a set of 4 will be given to the DMP?

6) So I would send all the paperwork to Mississauga? On appendix C, it asks for the processing center. Would I enter Mississauga or Buffalo? Also, can I choose any location (including Detroit, MI) for the interview location? Detroit is closer to Toronto where we will be residing.

Thanks again,

Nazir

nazirv

Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
09-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2012
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help answer the last few questions I have above?

Thank you!