+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions before I land in Canada

RussellCat

May 3, 2019
Hey all, I am arriving in Canada this August on a student visa. my partner is joining me with an open work permit (our visas are still approved even though COVID, got them before the 18th of March).
I wanted to ask:
  1. eTA - Do we still need to apply for an eTA?
  2. Health Insurance - I got health insurance from my college. But I was wondering if my partner can get health insurance with an open work permit? for those with an open work permit how do you get health insurance?
Thank you!! :)

Last edited:

spiderfromars

Jun 1, 2020
Hey all, I am arriving in Canada this August on a student visa. my partner is joining me with an open work permit (our visas are still approved even though COVID).
I wanted to ask:
  1. eTA - Do we still need to apply for an eTA?
  2. Health Insurance - I got health insurance from my college. But I was wondering if my partner can get health insurance with an open work permit? for those with an open work permit how do you get health insurance?
Thank you!! :)
when was your visa approved? did you apply online? you can't travel to canada right now due to the restrictions in place if your visa was approved after 18th of march.

RussellCat

May 3, 2019
when was your visa approved? did you apply online? you can't travel to canada right now due to the restrictions in place if your visa was approved after 18th of march.
yes that's why I wrote our visas are still approved even though COVID). Got them before the 18th of March

sekudeepakkumar

Jun 24, 2020
Hi Everyone,
i graduated from Dalhousie in the month of may 2020, my study permit is valid till November 2020, due to medical emergency I had to return to India for treatment and i am still recovering, I have also applied for pgwp while I was in Canada, in the current COVID situation would I be able to travel back to Canada on student visa?

i have heard that the airline people are not allowing to board even if we have valid study permit which is approved before March 2020, mine was approved September 2018.

please let me know If anyone else is in the same situation or help me with your valuable suggestions on how to proceed.

thank you

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hi Everyone,
i graduated from Dalhousie in the month of may 2020, my study permit is valid till November 2020, due to medical emergency I had to return to India for treatment and i am still recovering, I have also applied for pgwp while I was in Canada, in the current COVID situation would I be able to travel back to Canada on student visa?

i have heard that the airline people are not allowing to board even if we have valid study permit which is approved before March 2020, mine was approved September 2018.

please let me know If anyone else is in the same situation or help me with your valuable suggestions on how to proceed.

thank you
Your study permit has already expired since you left Canada after your graduation.

sekudeepakkumar

Jun 24, 2020
Your study permit has already expired since you left Canada after your graduation.
I have seen people moving out of canada after applying pgwp right after the graduation and then return back with the same permit as long as it is valid and that you have applied for pgwp. But in this pandamic I am not sure how it works

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I have seen people moving out of canada after applying pgwp right after the graduation and then return back with the same permit as long as it is valid and that you have applied for pgwp. But in this pandamic I am not sure how it works
You're correct, your study permit only expires 90 days after your official program completion date (so sometime in August). You should be able to return before then, especially with proof you already applied for a PGWP from within Canada.