+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUESTIONS AT AIRPORT

jerry_25

Jul 16, 2013
Hi,
I am new to this forum, though been reading for a while
My question especially to Leon and others also, I have been away to my home country after getting PR for a while, when I'll be entering at Canadian Airport it will be 15 days less than two years, in other words I was out of Canada for 15 days short of two years and my wife was away for 1 year and 3 months as she was doing some job in Canada and I had some issues, so I came earlier. My was apprehensive as the days are passing so here are my queries
1) Will I have any issues altogether at Airport
I have read somewhere that they can ask questions as to that why a person was away for long,
2) What is the period after which you can expect some questions say 1 year, 1 year six months, 2years and so on
3) If they warn or advice you about your PR, will that be recorded definitely in your Caips or Foss file
4) Lastly if they record in Caips or any other Files, can in Future they have some effect on renewing PR or at the time of citizenship
Pls advice I am getting bit edgy on this issue
thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to have 2 years in Canada in a 5 year period. That means you could be outside for up to 3.

Key questions may be if you meet those requirements as well as how long have you been a PR. If you have been a PR for less than 3 years, you will not have issues because it would be impossible for you to have lost your PR already as you would have been physically unable to have been outside Canada for more than 3 years after getting your PR. However, you might still be given a warning stating that you have used up your outside time and need to stay in Canada for the next 2 years in order to meet the requirements.

So.. if you have only been outside Canada for 2 years and you only got your PR a little over 2 years ago, you will not have too many problems. If you get a difficult IO who warns you about the requirements, just tell them that you realize that and that you are back for good this time.

jerry_25

Jul 16, 2013
thanks for prompt reply
To be precise I have landed in Canada in July 25 2011 and came back to my home country on 1st Oct 2011 after getting PR card since then I am here and I am planning to go back on/around 25 September 2013. That makes little less than 2 years I guess

jerry_25

Jul 16, 2013
so if IO record this lecture/advice in files, then can it have some future effect in retaining PR
also what can be the best answer to IO about away from Canada for so long

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you tell the IO that you have been outside Canada for 2 years, they might make a note of it in your file so that if you leave Canada, when you come back the IO may see that and ask you how long you were gone the 2nd time so see if you went over your limit.

It will not affect your renewing your PR card later as long as you meet the requirements.

As for your reasons for being gone for 2 years, you can just tell the truth. You are allowed to stay outside Canada for up to 3 years as a PR so you do not need mitigating reasons. However, if you want to avoid trouble, you can say that you were tying up loose ends, selling your house, finishing a work contract etc. so you could settle in Canada without any baggage. It may not be true but it sounds good.