+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions after Receiving COPR and Before Landing Process

BCBound20

May 11, 2020
Hello, I have a few questions about my Permanent Residency application through the FSW program:

1. I finally received my COPR letter a few weeks ago, which I am very excited and happy about. However, my IRCC online account has still not updated to reflect this. The sections of Review of Eligibility, Background Check, and Final Decision are all showing as still in progress. I was expecting the account to update in some way to indicate COPR has been confirmed and sent, but this has not happened. Is this normal?

2. The COPR letter states in the Application Details section that my city and province of destination is Vancouver, BC. Hypothetically, am I allowed to enter the country from a different city and province, e.g. Toronto, ON and still complete immigrant landing process? Or does it have to be Vancouver as stated on the document? Note: I don’t have a provincial nomination.

3. When declaring funds upon first entry to Canada, what exactly is expected? Is this just cash carried on my person? Does it also include full bank account balances as a proof of funds (I already completed proof of funds earlier in the process)? What about stock holdings and other capital assets? If so, what documentation is expected to prove this information?

4. The Canadian Immigration website says that upon arrival you need to confirm your Canadian mailing address where your permanent resident card will be mailed within 30-45 days. What if you don’t yet have a confirmed address (e.g. staying in a hotel for a bit)? I am thinking of maybe initially travelling to Canada for a short period to complete the landing process before my application expires, then return to my home country for a few months before then later making the full move. Can you use a mail forwarding service address or a PO box to receive the PR card?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/application-approved.html

Thanks in advance!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello, I have a few questions about my Permanent Residency application through the FSW program:

1. I finally received my COPR letter a few weeks ago, which I am very excited and happy about. However, my IRCC online account has still not updated to reflect this. The sections of Review of Eligibility, Background Check, and Final Decision are all showing as still in progress. I was expecting the account to update in some way to indicate COPR has been confirmed and sent, but this has not happened. Is this normal?

2. The COPR letter states in the Application Details section that my city and province of destination is Vancouver, BC. Hypothetically, am I allowed to enter the country from a different city and province, e.g. Toronto, ON and still complete immigrant landing process? Or does it have to be Vancouver as stated on the document? Note: I don’t have a provincial nomination.

3. When declaring funds upon first entry to Canada, what exactly is expected? Is this just cash carried on my person? Does it also include full bank account balances as a proof of funds (I already completed proof of funds earlier in the process)? What about stock holdings and other capital assets? If so, what documentation is expected to prove this information?

4. The Canadian Immigration website says that upon arrival you need to confirm your Canadian mailing address where your permanent resident card will be mailed within 30-45 days. What if you don’t yet have a confirmed address (e.g. staying in a hotel for a bit)? I am thinking of maybe initially travelling to Canada for a short period to complete the landing process before my application expires, then return to my home country for a few months before then later making the full move. Can you use a mail forwarding service address or a PO box to receive the PR card?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/application-approved.html

Thanks in advance!
The application keeps on showing like that so no worries until and unless you receive your CoPR.
You are allowed to land anywhere as long as you are not PNP applicant.
For the money carry all the bank documents to prove it. Usually you are given a form to declare it, rarely proofs can be asked so better to carry them.
For the address issue you can get info at the airport once you land.

Reactions: BCBound20

BCBound20

May 11, 2020
The application keeps on showing like that so no worries until and unless you receive your CoPR.
You are allowed to land anywhere as long as you are not PNP applicant.
For the money carry all the bank documents to prove it. Usually you are given a form to declare it, rarely proofs can be asked so better to carry them.
For the address issue you can get info at the airport once you land.
Thank you for your responses Taran, that's very helpful.

Do you mind clarifying your first point where you said "no worries until and unless you receive your CoPR" ? I did actually already recieve my Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter, so do you think my online account should have should have updated by now?

Many thanks

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Thank you for your responses Taran, that's very helpful.

Do you mind clarifying your first point where you said "no worries until and unless you receive your CoPR" ? I did actually already recieve my Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter, so do you think my online account should have should have updated by now?

Many thanks
You are very welcome.
Mine kept on like that even after I receive eCoPR as well so all good.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks in advance!
2. You can land in Onterrible, er...I mean Ontario if you want/need to. LOL!

3. Only currency that you have with you needs to be declared and really only if $10k or more.
https://www.cicnews.com/2000/12/transferring-funds-landing-12381.html#gs.otgok1

4. This is referred to as a `soft landing' and it's quite common.
https://arrivein.com/daily-life-in-canada/how-to-do-a-soft-landing-in-canada-after-getting-your-copr/

You likely cannot use a P.O. box for receiving the PR Card.

You will need someone to forward the PR Card to you, abroad, so that you have it when you return to Canada. You cannot return to Canada via a commercial carrier without a valid PR Card or PRTD; your CoPR will not suffice per the commercial carrier requirements.

Do you know anyone in Canada that could receive and then forward the card to you?

Also, make sure you understand what a `Goods to Follow' form is, since you will need to complete that for any items that you plan to bring with you when you do officially move to Canada.

BCBound20

May 11, 2020
2. You can land in Onterrible, er...I mean Ontario if you want/need to. LOL!

3. Only currency that you have with you needs to be declared and really only if $10k or more.
https://www.cicnews.com/2000/12/transferring-funds-landing-12381.html#gs.otgok1

4. This is referred to as a `soft landing' and it's quite common.
https://arrivein.com/daily-life-in-canada/how-to-do-a-soft-landing-in-canada-after-getting-your-copr/

You likely cannot use a P.O. box for receiving the PR Card.

You will need someone to forward the PR Card to you, abroad, so that you have it when you return to Canada. You cannot return to Canada via a commercial carrier without a valid PR Card or PRTD; your CoPR will not suffice per the commercial carrier requirements.

Do you know anyone in Canada that could receive and then forward the card to you?

Also, make sure you understand what a `Goods to Follow' form is, since you will need to complete that for any items that you plan to bring with you when you do officially move to Canada.
Thanks for your reply Ponga. That article you linked about Soft Landing is very useful.

I don't have any friends or relatives in Canada. Do you think a mail forwarding service to send the PR Card internationally is a safe option, or would that be too risky? If in the worst case scenario the card is lost in the mail, could I still hypothetically fly to the USA as a vistor and cross the border into Canada on foot (thus no commerical carrier requirements?) and enter again with just my CoPR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your reply Ponga. That article you linked about Soft Landing is very useful.

I don't have any friends or relatives in Canada. Do you think a mail forwarding service to send the PR Card internationally is a safe option, or would that be too risky? If in the worst case scenario the card is lost in the mail, could I still hypothetically fly to the USA as a vistor and cross the border into Canada on foot (thus no commerical carrier requirements?) and enter again with just my CoPR?
My pleasure; glad you found the link helpful!

Can't really comment on the use of a mail forwarding service, other than to say that they're probably pricey. This may be helpful:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ImmigrationCanada/comments/xbutau

In terms of forwarding the card, some couriers may have an issue if the country where you are having the card sent to have customs restrictions on PR Cards, due to the RFID (chip) embedded into the card. Most people have no problems, but some have had the card intercepted. Best to check with whatever courier you think you would ultimately use and find out now.

Yes, if you can fly to the U.S., you can definitely enter Canada at a land PoE (on foot, or in a private vehicle).

BCBound20

May 11, 2020
My pleasure; glad you found the link helpful!

Can't really comment on the use of a mail forwarding service, other than to say that they're probably pricey. This may be helpful:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ImmigrationCanada/comments/xbutau

In terms of forwarding the card, some couriers may have an issue if the country where you are having the card sent to have customs restrictions on PR Cards, due to the RFID (chip) embedded into the card. Most people have no problems, but some have had the card intercepted. Best to check with whatever courier you think you would ultimately use and find out now.

Yes, if you can fly to the U.S., you can definitely enter Canada at a land PoE (on foot, or in a private vehicle).
Great, thank you for the information!

jagmeet92

Apr 12, 2023
india
Category........
FSW
Hello everyone

I am from India I got COPR through alberta PNP .in my copr destination city mentioned is Edmonton . But I would like to land and live in Calgary which is in the same province. So if anyone have knowledge about this thing that if I am landing in Calgary which is other than destination city in copr but same province. Will it be problematic at immigration??

Kindly help as I have book flight

jagmeet92

Apr 12, 2023
india
Category........
FSW
Hello everyone

I am from India I got COPR through alberta PNP .in my copr destination city mentioned is Edmonton . But I would like to land and live in Calgary which is in the same province. So if anyone have knowledge about this thing that if I am landing in Calgary which is other than destination city in copr but same province. Will it be problematic at immigration??

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone

No problem, because as you have mentioned you're only obligated to the Province of Alberta.