+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about the PGWP

Lena Auneau

Jun 25, 2018
Hello,

I am an international student at the University of Ottawa, and I will soon have my last grades completing the program I was studying for this year, so I am looking for a few pieces of information about the PGWP.

I am part of a dual degree program (two Master's), meaning I will get two degrees upon the completion of my current program, one in France and one in Canada, from the University of Ottawa. The "normal" duration of the program I am enrolled in is a minimum of 3 terms (so 1 year, since the terms are 4 months), but I have been physically in Ottawa for about 6 months now (2 terms total, I started studying here in January 2018 and the end of my enrollment officially is in August 2018).
I looked at the Government website for this program, and from my understanding, completing a program that is at least 8 months in duration in a shorter period of time is not a problem for the PGWP. Just wanted to confirm my understanding was right on this, if anyone can confirm.

I went to the University today so I could ask for some of the documents I need to apply for the PGWP. I specifically had in mind to get the "official letter" from the University stating the program's duration and code. I was told they don't have such a thing, and that the program does not have a code. They printed the description of the program (which is on the University website, and says that the duration for completion is minimum 3 terms) on a paper that says "University of Ottawa", and used a stamp with the date on it, so it would look official since the stamp is red.
Does that work? Because "official letter" does sound very official, and the website, as much as it is information coming directly from the University, does not seem to me like something that would be official enough. I don't want to have my application denied because I don't have the proper documents. Does anyone know if that works? Or maybe have any idea of what I can specifically ask for at my University?

Sorry for the pretty long message,

Thank you for your help.

Léna

Ha97

Jun 10, 2018
An official letter is the one which states that the student Lena has compeleted all the courses requirement for her program ans is awarded xxxxxx degree....also if the duration of your studies in ottawa is less than duartion of studies in France then you might not be able to apply for PGWP...also the letter you stated above is not an official letter and you will be refused based on that

Lena Auneau

Jun 25, 2018
Thank you for your answer. The duration of my studies in France for this program was less than they were in Ottawa. I studied for about 4 months in France (Sept-Dec), and then came to Canada for Jan-August.

Ha97

Jun 10, 2018
Okk...then you should be fine on that part...but you really need to get an offical letter or final transcript from your University at the end of your program completion...you can ask your fellow interntaion student about the samw

Lena Auneau

Jun 25, 2018
I will get an official letter confirming the completion of my program once I have defended my Master's thesis, which is at the end of the week. That should not be an issue according to what the Graduate Studies office told me. The document I mentioned was to prove the duration of the program, not the fact that I completed it.

Ha97

Jun 10, 2018
I will get an official letter confirming the completion of my program once I have defended my Master's thesis, which is at the end of the week. That should not be an issue according to what the Graduate Studies office told me. The document I mentioned was to prove the duration of the program, not the fact that I completed it.
The official letter always states the duration of your studies

jonsnow

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Quick Question, (I don't mean to hijack your thread) when you filled your online application for PGWP, did you fill out the schedule 1 IMM5257 form? and do you have to if you are applying from within Canada?

Lena Auneau

Jun 25, 2018
Quick Question, (I don't mean to hijack your thread) when you filled your online application for PGWP, did you fill out the schedule 1 IMM5257 form? and do you have to if you are applying from within Canada?
Hey! No worries. And I didn't fill my online application yet because I need to wait a little for my last grades! So no idea, sorry :/

Ha97

Jun 10, 2018
Is it the form for TRV application?

jonsnow

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Is it the form for TRV application?
Yeah on the online portal it states 'Schedule 1: Application for TRV made outside Canada (IMM 5257)' and its under the heading Optional Documents. I didnt fill that one out when applying since I wasnt applying for TRV (only PGWP) and I was in Canada not outside. Just wanted to confirm if you all did the same

Ha97

Jun 10, 2018
Yeah on the online portal it states 'Schedule 1: Application for TRV made outside Canada (IMM 5257)' and its under the heading Optional Documents. I didnt fill that one out when applying since I wasnt applying for TRV (only PGWP) and I was in Canada not outside. Just wanted to confirm if you all did the same
Yea....its for people who are applying for PGWP outside Canada and don’t have any valid TRV to come back...we can always apply it once we get our PGWP

Reactions: jonsnow

jonsnow

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Hey man, any update??
nothing as of yet.. I am starting to wonder if i should try to flagpole at the niagara border? If I do get the pgwp at the border then that will be good if not then the online app is still being processed. Nothing to lose. Have you thought about flagpoling?