+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about the Common-law application

ErzHerzog

Aug 11, 2019
Hello everyone.
This is the first of a series of questions I will pose and I will thank you in advance for the time dedicated.

I am going through the (bureaucratically monstrous) process of applying for Common-law and encountering several difficulties. It seems as if Canadian Immigration has done its best to leave grayish areas of ambiguity throughout the entire procedure - a waste time for all the honest applicants, no doubt on that.

I am currently filling out the "Additional Family Information" (IMM 5406) form and came up with three questions:
1.Do me and my girlfriend both need to fill out one form? (that is, two in total?)
2.In the Section A they ask information about "Mother", "Father" and "Parent". What am I supposed to write in the latter's blank space? I don't have a "Parent"; I have a mother and a father, whose information I fully included.
3. They ask about the marital status of me and my girlfriend. We are in a relationship together and we are applying for common-law (that's why we are filling out this very form) but what am I supposed to write? What is my marital status? Is it common-law? Or is it "single" until Canadian Immigration approves my application?

Last edited:

smallcoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Paris
Assuming you are Canadian and your girlfriend is the PA
1) Just your girlfriend
2) Are you using an old form? I just downloaded it and dont see Parent
3) Common-law