+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about landing

DW86

Sep 16, 2020
I had a couple of questions regarding the landing process...

I haven't received COPR yet but sent my passport off as per request a couple of weeks ago so it should be imminent. My first question is, will a copy of the COPR be fine when I get to Pearson for the landing process? I have no idea if there will be any difference in a copy from my GCKey account compared to an original sent through the post but just thought it best to ask!

Also, how in depth does my list of belongings for the BSF186 need to be? I'll only be bringing clothes with me and plan to ship the rest of my belongings later on. I'm wondering how itemised the list needs to be. I'll be bringing a lot of books and sports jerseys at a later date, so do I just need to write the amount of each category?

Thanks a lot

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I had a couple of questions regarding the landing process...

I haven't received COPR yet but sent my passport off as per request a couple of weeks ago so it should be imminent. My first question is, will a copy of the COPR be fine when I get to Pearson for the landing process? I have no idea if there will be any difference in a copy from my GCKey account compared to an original sent through the post but just thought it best to ask!

Also, how in depth does my list of belongings for the BSF186 need to be? I'll only be bringing clothes with me and plan to ship the rest of my belongings later on. I'm wondering how itemised the list needs to be. I'll be bringing a lot of books and sports jerseys at a later date, so do I just need to write the amount of each category?

Thanks a lot
Just use the original that they send you.

BSF186: your shipping company should give you instructions. But what I recall:

-key bit the shippiong company did not cover in detail: you need estimated replacement amounts in Canadian $$. This can be as vague or as specific as you want. I doubt CBSA will ever check. Mostly irrelevant for basic household stuff but you still have to put a figure. (Obviously i fyou have insurance this may link in somehow, I don't know). They may want more specific info for high value items. I don't know what high value is, but I'd guess most single items less than $5k they don't care much about.
-There may be more specific instrucitons about some things like jewelry - I don't know.

Overall:
-we grouped stuff into boxes that were room/type mostly, and this overlapped with what the movers did: room / type of thing. Eg kitchen / kitchen implements / value. Bedroom closet / clothes / value. Etc. Customs seemed happy with this level of detail, at least in our case.

-The movers seemed a bit more demanding about serial numbers for eg appliances and electronics. I pushed back on this a bit as most of what few appliances we were taking (voltage differences means very few) were not high value.

-Only thing we did have with serial numbers was some cameras. I had a list. That was easiest to provide to movers; probalby most relevant to insurance and the like if you have semi high-value stuff. I guess computers if your'e shipping.

-I didn't see that CBSA was paying much attention to this or really most of the stuff. They're not intersted in taxing your old jerseys or books, etc. For those landing that are bringing basic household stuff and personal effects, you do need to present the form and that, but don't expect a lot of scrutiny.

Vehicles etc will be different. We did not but I have friends who brought a lot of wine in shipment - didn't hear that they had particular issues.

Warning, I have no info on how much they phsyically ship - if they open up and find undelcared gold bars or kilos of gold and diamonds, or something contraband, you can expect issues.