+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions about landing issue

mary1980

Feb 23, 2012
hi ,
i got the visa to Canada and willing to land in next may God willing , i wounder how much money should i take with me ,is there any specific amount , we are family 2 adults and 2 children (1 year old), I want to know also how to find good furnished apartment with reasonable money (800-1000)in Toronto or Mississauga as i didn't decide yet which is better ,any advice is much appreciated .
thanks in advance

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
mary1980 said:
hi ,
i got the visa to Canada and willing to land in next may God willing , i wounder how much money should i take with me ,is there any specific amount , we are family 2 adults and 2 children (1 year old), I want to know also how to find good furnished apartment with reasonable money (800-1000)in Toronto or Mississauga as i didn't decide yet which is better ,any advice is much appreciated .
thanks in advance
I'm not sure about any specific amount but if you're carrying $10,000 or more, you have to notify CBSA (Read: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/cbcr-dmte/how-comment-eng.html). So, carry less than $10,000 if you can. Then, you may have to provide proof of your funds that can be available during your stay. Like your country's bank statement or something like it.

Gettting a furnished apartment with $800-$1000 price range in GTA would be very tough. Besides, you're a family of 4 and therefore you may have to rent a 2-bedroom apartment which will cost you more (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/is-there-a-link-between-apartment-requirement-and-of-children-t31365.0.html;msg198493#msg198493).

I can give you an overlook how it may cost for 1 bed apartments:
Toronto Downtown: $1800-$2500 (furnished), $1500-$2000 (unfurnished)
Around Toronto Downtown: $1200-$1500 (unfurnished)
Any other region (Mississauga, Scarborough, York): $1000-$1300 (unfurnished)

Difference between a 1-bed and 2-bed apartments would be $100-$300 depending on the size expansion.

You may find house basements with few furniture with cheaper price. Try: kijiji, craiglist, viewit etc.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you got your visa through the skilled worker program without having a job offer, you should bring $20,654 as settlement funds for a family of 4, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

If you got it through some other program, there might not be a specific amount but you should still try to bring as much as you can because you don't know how long it will be until you find a job.

If you have more than 10,000 in cash, bonds or checks, you need to tell Canada customs as you enter. It is not a problem as long as you tell them. If you don't tell them and they find it, then you have a problem.

mary1980

Feb 23, 2012
thank you guys for your reply , i was asking about how much money should i bring with me for landing only for 1 month and i can show the immigration officer bank statement of the rest ,will this be wrong meaning i should get all money i mentioned in the application (it is federal skilled workers).
thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can show bank statement for some of it but keep in mind that if you are settling now, your money will go fast in the beginning. If you rent, you will have to pay first and last month or first month and damage deposit. Some utilities will also require a deposit because you are new in Canada and don't have any credit. Maybe you want to buy a car? You will need to buy furniture for your apartment etc. Therefore, do not underestimate the amount you should bring or be able to get on hand quickly if you need it.

Reactions: Sagar00013

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you and family and just staying in Toronto for 1 month and will back to home country, I suggest you find a furnished room, such as www.safehomestay.com, which is furnished.

jlrp

Mar 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11-10-2011
Med's Request
28-12-2011
Med's Done....
10-01-2012
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
hi,
how about in manitoba, winnipeg? any idea?

thanks

steaky said:
If you and family and just staying in Toronto for 1 month and will back to home country, I suggest you find a furnished room, such as www.safehomestay.com, which is furnished.

regnard

Star Member
Mar 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-2011
mary1980 said:
hi ,
thanks in advance
A 1-bedroom apartment in Toronto would be around 800-1500 (depending on the neighborhood).

If you're asking about the money for the first month, my suggestion is bring around 3,000 CAD of readily available money. If you'll be spending half on rent, you'll spending around 30-40 CAD per week on groceries, and probably 250 CAD on transportation. There's also the cost for getting a mobile phone (around 100 CAD for the first month).

You can use your buffer money to open a bank account and get a credit card for additional purchases and build your credit history.