+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about getting an apartment together for common-law sponsorship

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
My partner and I are about to rent our first apartment together so that we can live together for 12 months and qualify for the common law sponsorship.
Is there anything that anyone recommends about getting proof for this when it comes to the application or is writing both our names on it okay? (Will it affect anything if we get my parents to co-sign?)

Thanks.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
My partner and I are about to rent our first apartment together so that we can live together for 12 months and qualify for the common law sponsorship.
Is there anything that anyone recommends about getting proof for this when it comes to the application or is writing both our names on it okay? (Will it affect anything if we get my parents to co-sign?)

Thanks.
Hi

Check below link hope that will help

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

Items that can be used as proof of a common-law relationship include:

• shared ownership of residential property
  • joint leases or rental agreements
  • bills for shared utility accounts, such as:
    • gas
    • electricity
    • telephone
    • joint utility accounts
  • important documents for both of you showing the same address, such as:
    • driver’s licenses
    • insurance policies
Good Luck

rio5

Nov 9, 2016
Get your names on the lease together.
Put both of your names on the utilities (assuming you're the applicant). Opt out of electronic bills and get your statements sent to your shared address. Keep those statements for your application.
Get a shared bank account, if you haven't already, for your joint bills and keep records of it all.
Swap out your driver's license now for a local one (Ontario allows this depending on your mother country, not sure about other provinces) with your new address.

James_NZ1

Jan 15, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
14-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-08-2018
pretty much as above.

Joint everything.

When we signed up in Ontario for apartment one of us had to be the lease holder and the other a tenant. but in our hometown we could both be listed at lease holders but you boyh live at the same address. Put renters or tenants Insurance in both names or get both your policies for vehicle and contents joined at the same address under both names. Put emergency contact as one of your parents. This will prove you live together

Reactions: ManiHoopes

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Get your names on the lease together.
Put both of your names on the utilities (assuming you're the applicant). Opt out of electronic bills and get your statements sent to your shared address. Keep those statements for your application.
Get a shared bank account, if you haven't already, for your joint bills and keep records of it all.
Swap out your driver's license now for a local one (Ontario allows this depending on your mother country, not sure about other provinces) with your new address.
What if hydro/electricity is included in the monthly rental price? We also choose not to have a joint bank account. He pays for some bills and I pay for others. Is that fine?

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
He opened up his own bank account - we chose not to have a joint one. Is that okay if we have a joint lease? We also lived at my parents house for the first month.
If his personal bank account shows a common address, it will help.

rio5

Nov 9, 2016
He opened up his own bank account - we chose not to have a joint one. Is that okay if we have a joint lease? We also lived at my parents house for the first month.
My partner and I hold separate accounts for our personal funds, but have one joint account for bills. We opened a joint credit card for convenience and additional proof (mostly for groceries and nights out). I would make every effort to show combined finances, and a shared account of some kind will help.