+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about climate/temperatures in Canada

Hansol333

Jul 25, 2020
Hello everyone I am thinking of leaving my country and find work in Canada. I am here to find information about my plans and more important my chances. Before I post about myself (qualifications, age and so on) I want to inform myself about Canada.

One if not the main reason is because I cannot stand heat. It is my ultimate weakness. I am very rarely ill, I am modest and don’t need much money however hot temperatures kill me. Currently I am living in europe and it is getting hotter and hotter every year. Last year we had 35-40°C. I can’t sleep and I often fear losing consciousness when walking outside under the murderess hot sun. There are people dying or at least landing in the hospital by these temperatures. On the other hand I love snow and there wasn’t any here for over 10 years or so. Last winter I was in northern Scandinavia (-30°C) and it was amazing. How hot will it be here in 10 or 20 years? Well to be honest I don’t want to find out.

I have found some information about temperate and climate in Canada on Wikipedia. However the page says it only list about the period from 1981-2010. Current temperatures here are also much higher than listed on Wikipedia. So I would like to know some information from people currently living in Canada for the last 5 years sharing their opinion. In Siberia we have currently POSITIVE 40°C something I would have never expected so I better ask.

However I do not want to live alone in a remote area with no people nearby. So I am only interested in areas with bigger cities. Preferable not Quebec. So please post some information about maximum temperatures during summer how long is there snow in the winter and so on.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
If you are looking for cold climate then Canada is the right place. Look up cities such as Halifax, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottowa. If you want even colder, then Whitehorse, Winnipeg works as well

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone I am thinking of leaving my country and find work in Canada. I am here to find information about my plans and more important my chances. Before I post about myself (qualifications, age and so on) I want to inform myself about Canada.

One if not the main reason is because I cannot stand heat. It is my ultimate weakness. I am very rarely ill, I am modest and don’t need much money however hot temperatures kill me. Currently I am living in europe and it is getting hotter and hotter every year. Last year we had 35-40°C. I can’t sleep and I often fear losing consciousness when walking outside under the murderess hot sun. There are people dying or at least landing in the hospital by these temperatures. On the other hand I love snow and there wasn’t any here for over 10 years or so. Last winter I was in northern Scandinavia (-30°C) and it was amazing. How hot will it be here in 10 or 20 years? Well to be honest I don’t want to find out.

I have found some information about temperate and climate in Canada on Wikipedia. However the page says it only list about the period from 1981-2010. Current temperatures here are also much higher than listed on Wikipedia. So I would like to know some information from people currently living in Canada for the last 5 years sharing their opinion. In Siberia we have currently POSITIVE 40°C something I would have never expected so I better ask.

However I do not want to live alone in a remote area with no people nearby. So I am only interested in areas with bigger cities. Preferable not Quebec. So please post some information about maximum temperatures during summer how long is there snow in the winter and so on.
Temperatures in the 30s during the summer are pretty normal - especially in the lower 30s.. Some locations also have high humidity which makes it a lot more uncomfortable and makes it feel like the temperature is higher than it actually is. For example, Toronto has a heat advisory in effect today due to high humidity. 40 is unusual but happen from time to time.

If you can't sleep in the heat, then make sure the place where you are living has air conditioning.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Ontario cities (Toronto, Ottawa) and many other locations far from the oceans get HOT in the summer. 35 plus humidity is not uncommon at all in Toronto.

They do get - 30 in the winter, occasionally, but more frequently - 15

Hansol333

Jul 25, 2020
hi and thanks for the answers

Its nice to hear that its still getting cold even in the more southern part of Canada. However I already feared that summer is also getting pretty hot.
What about cities that are a little bite more in the northern part (like Edmonton) or are near the ocean (like Vancouver) ?

How many days in the year will be about 30°C or 35°C ?

dr.josemrod

Sep 3, 2019
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-08-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Done....
18-09-2019
LANDED..........
08-05-2020
Global warming is happening, there are no guarantees, specially if you want to stay in big cities, so weather can't be a motivating factor to emigrate.

Hansol333

Jul 25, 2020
Global warming is happening, there are no guarantees, specially if you want to stay in big cities, so weather can't be a motivating factor to emigrate.
Why shouldnt that be a motivating factor?
Like said I cant stand heat and love cold climate. I rather have a modest life in an area I love then a rich life in an area I dislike. That global warming is happining is a fact. Not only temperatures concern me but also other factors such as floddings (currently happening all around the world). Or things like decline in fresh water and war about water. Canada should be a good choice for the future.

Due to the strong temperature differences (minus 40 up to positive 40°C) houses in canada should be well isolated. Well here we have a lot of houses with poor isolation so if you are living under the roof in a house and the sun is shining on it its pretty bad.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why shouldnt that be a motivating factor?
Like said I cant stand heat and love cold climate. I rather have a modest life in an area I love then a rich life in an area I dislike. That global warming is happining is a fact. Not only temperatures concern me but also other factors such as floddings (currently happening all around the world). Or things like decline in fresh water and war about water. Canada should be a good choice for the future.

Due to the strong temperature differences (minus 40 up to positive 40°C) houses in canada should be well isolated. Well here we have a lot of houses with poor isolation so if you are living under the roof in a house and the sun is shining on it its pretty bad.
I think you meant "insulation" and not "isolation". You said you don't want to live in a remote location. Insulation is something related to how the building is built and building materials. You should be looking for energy efficient homes in Canada preferably homes with solar panels.

gisselletdean

Mar 6, 2023
I think Canada might just be the perfect place for you. I've been living here for the past few years, and while it does get hot in some parts of the country during the summer, it's usually not unbearable like in Europe.