+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about citizenship application

TAMRICO

Jan 14, 2018
Hello guys,

I have a few questions about citizenship application that I hope someone will be able to answer:

1.) Language evidence

I don't have an original IELTS results document, only a copy. It's a general type one, it meets score requirements and it was used for immigration. Will it be accepted as a proof of my language abilities?

2.) Section 9 - Status.

I had two permits during my eligibility period: study permit and then work permit. They overlapped. My work permit started six months before my study permit ended. What should I put as my Student status expired date? I am asking because on the work permit it says that I am not allowed to study.

3.) Section 11- Employment and education history.

For the period of time when I was unemployed should I just put a home address?
For the periods of time when I was on my co-op terms should I have two entries: one for being a co-op student at a certain company and one for being a student at my program (cause I was still enrolled)?

4.) Section 14 - Travel documents.

I have a gap of two weeks between my two passports. At the point when my passport was expiring I did not plan to travel so I was not in a hurry to update it. Plus my consulate has a very long processing time. Would it be acceptable to put passport long processing time as an explanation for the gap?
(I need to mention that I am not short on days by any means. I am applying with 1305 days of physical presence.)

Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hello guys,

I have a few questions about citizenship application that I hope someone will be able to answer:

1.) Language evidence

I don't have an original IELTS results document, only a copy. It's a general type one, it meets score requirements and it was used for immigration. Will it be accepted as a proof of my language abilities?

2.) Section 9 - Status.

I had two permits during my eligibility period: study permit and then work permit. They overlapped. My work permit started six months before my study permit ended. What should I put as my Student status expired date? I am asking because on the work permit it says that I am not allowed to study.

For the periods of time when I was on my co-op terms should I have two entries: one for being a co-op student at a certain company and one for being a student at my program (cause I was still enrolled)?

I have a gap of two weeks between my two passports. At the point when my passport was expiring I did not plan to travel so I was not in a hurry to update it. Plus my consulate has a very long processing time. Would it be acceptable to put passport long processing time as an explanation for the gap?
(I need to mention that I am not short on days by any means. I am applying with 1305 days of physical presence.)

1) If it's general, previously used for immigration, as well as meets the min test score, it will be accepted. However, it is a requirement to carry the original document to the interview. It may or may not be checked. It is unclear whether a photocopy will be acceptable. Some have stated that it will.

2) Unclear. What kind of work permit did you get and how did you get it if you were still a student ?

3) If unemployed, yes list your home address, assuming you were living there during that time.
When you were interning, were you also taking courses at the university ? If not, then I would just list it as an internship and the employer's address.

4) List the same reason you just mentioned here, that you did not plan to travel and long processing times etc. Not a big issue.

Reactions: TAMRICO

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hello guys,

1.) Language evidence

2.) Section 9 - Status.

For 2), I would like to add that there is no point in trying to hide anything from them. List everything as it shows on your permits. As soon as they type your UCI, they will be able to retrieve your entire immigration history. Fudging the dates will only land you in trouble.

Unless, getting the work permit somehow automatically invalidates the study permit, I would list the exact dates shown on the permits. What I mean is, in my case, my post graduate work permit was valid for 3 years, however I became a PR 2 years after getting the permit, so I entered the date I became a PR, as the expiry date of the work permit. And in the reason section, I explained why.

TAMRICO

Jan 14, 2018
1) If it's general, previously used for immigration, as well as meets the min test score, it will be accepted. However, it is a requirement to carry the original document to the interview. It may or may not be checked. It is unclear whether a photocopy will be acceptable. Some have stated that it will.

2) Unclear. What kind of work permit did you get and how did you get it if you were still a student ?

3) If unemployed, yes list your home address, assuming you were living there during that time.
When you were interning, were you also taking courses at the university ? If not, then I would just list it as an internship and the employer's address.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

1.) To be safe I guess I am gonna get two copies of official transcripts from my program: one for the application and one for the interview.

2.) For some reason I got a very long study permit for my program. When I graduated and got my post graduate work permit, my study permit was still valid for another 6 months. My concern is that on the work permit it says that I am not allowed to study. So I am not sure what date should be considered as my student status expiry date. Were I both a student and a temporary worker during these 6 months?

3.) During co-op terms, I was still enrolled in my program and was taking one online course (that was officially required to be taken during co-op). But I think you are right. An entry with employer should be enough since I was physically present at employer's address.

By any chance, do you know if at any point of citizenship application process I might be required to provide CORP? I could not find mine. I thought PR card should be enough.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014

1.) To be safe I guess I am gonna get two copies of official transcripts from my program: one for the application and one for the interview.

2.) For some reason I got a very long study permit for my program. When I graduated and got my post graduate work permit, my study permit was still valid for another 6 months. My concern is that on the work permit it says that I am not allowed to study. So I am not sure what date should be considered as my student status expiry date. Were I both a student and a temporary worker during these 6 months?

3.) During co-op terms, I was still enrolled in my program and was taking one online course (that was officially required to be taken during co-op). But I think you are right. An entry with employer should be enough since I was physically present at employer's address.

By any chance, do you know if at any point of citizenship application process I might be required to provide CORP? I could not find mine. I thought PR card should be enough.
2) I suppose I was in a similar situation because I didn't explicilty get my study permit cancelled after I got my post graduate work permit. This was outside my eligibility period, so I didn't have to mention it. Personally, I don't think this is a big deal at all. IRCC already knows about it, and they're the ones who gave you a PGWP.

COPR is a tricky topic. It is no longer required to be submitted with the application, however it may be required for the interview. I would suggest you to apply for a Verification of Status document (link below) to replace it. Note, COPR is a very important document that is needed even after you become a Citizen. For example: you need it to collect pension.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-verification-status-replacement-immigration-document.html

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hello guys,

1.) Language evidence

2.) Section 9 - Status.

(2) You are confusing two independent things: The vaildity of the DOCUMENT (study permit, work permit) and the dates when you actually held that STATUS. Please note that nowhere does the application ask for the document validity. It asks what status you held. You can only hold one status at a time. The moment you activated your work permit, you were not a student anymore. So based on what you write, this should be how it goes:

Student from X to Y-1
Worker from Y to Z-1
Permanent Resident from Z

Where X is the date your study permit was issued which is the date you activated that status (most likely you got your SP at the airport printed with the date you entered Canada). Y is the day you became a worker. That date should be printed on the work permit. And finally Z is the day you became a permanent resident.

Again, the moment you had a new status, your old status was gone. It doesn't matter how long those document would have been valid had you not switched status. It is unfortunately a recurring theme in this forum that people can't distinguish between document validity and status.

You can have a passport of a country that is still valid although you are not a citizen anymore. You can have a valid PR card without being a PR. You can be a PR without having a valid PR card. You can even be legally in Canada as a student on implied status although the document called "study permit" expired. Do not mix up documents and status.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

(3) it's not a problem to have overlaps in the history table. You just can't have any gaps. People have several jobs all over the place (or a job while studying and so on). It's totally fine to be a student and a coop worker at the same time.

You generally seem to think that there is only one right answer according to some game rules. Let me assure you there isn't :) Just make sure that your application is consistent and the officer understands your history. It'll all be good.

CoPR is not a required document anymore. However, I encourage you to apply for a Verification of Status document (which is the replacement of a lost CoPR). In fact, later in life, even after becoming a citizen, you might need that document when it comes to Pensions and other stuff where you need to prove you had status in Canada.

TAMRICO

Jan 14, 2018
2) I suppose I was in a similar situation because I didn't explicilty get my study permit cancelled after I got my post graduate work permit. This was outside my eligibility period, so I didn't have to mention it. Personally, I don't think this is a big deal at all. IRCC already knows about it, and they're the ones who gave you a PGWP.

COPR is a tricky topic. It is no longer required to be submitted with the application, however it may be required for the interview. I would suggest you to apply for a Verification of Status document (link below) to replace it. Note, COPR is a very important document that is needed even after you become a Citizen. For example: you need it to collect pension.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-verification-status-replacement-immigration-document.html
Thanks a lot for your help :)

TAMRICO

Jan 14, 2018
(3) it's not a problem to have overlaps in the history table. You just can't have any gaps. People have several jobs all over the place (or a job while studying and so on). It's totally fine to be a student and a coop worker at the same time.

You generally seem to think that there is only one right answer according to some game rules. Let me assure you there isn't :) Just make sure that your application is consistent and the officer understands your history. It'll all be good.

CoPR is not a required document anymore. However, I encourage you to apply for a Verification of Status document (which is the replacement of a lost CoPR). In fact, later in life, even after becoming a citizen, you might need that document when it comes to Pensions and other stuff where you need to prove you had status in Canada.
Thank you so much for such detailed responses :)