+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about changing the province

Rimka13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Hello guys,

I just got married this month and want to sponsor my spouse
In november i would move from quebec to ontario

Should i start the process now or in one month once i move to ontario.
I have my new lease in ontario to show my proof of address ( she is also in the lease). Is it enough?
Do i need my driver license or Health card to sponsor my spouse? if so how long does it take to excange documents from quebec to ontario?

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Wait until you move to Ontario.

Read the instructions in app to clarify what you need to apply. It depends on what purposes - to show you are currently residing in Ontario, it should be pretty minimal. For relatonship purposes, much of your Quebec documentation should be fine, you'll just note that hyou only recently moved. If any doubt, include a short letter of explanation.

May be useful to also clarify why you moved to Ontario (eg job) so as to show you're not pretending you live in Ontario (to avoid the Quebec specific parts of the sponsorhip process.)

Rimka13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Wait until you move to Ontario.

Read the instructions in app to clarify what you need to apply. It depends on what purposes - to show you are currently residing in Ontario, it should be pretty minimal. For relatonship purposes, much of your Quebec documentation should be fine, you'll just note that hyou only recently moved. If any doubt, include a short letter of explanation.

May be useful to also clarify why you moved to Ontario (eg job) so as to show you're not pretending you live in Ontario (to avoid the Quebec specific parts of the sponsorhip process.)
Thank you for your response!

What do you mean by quebec documentation for relationship purposes?
As for the reason of moving out is for the long wait in quebec but i only live 10min away from ontario (gatineau), so i will keep the same job too.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your response!

What do you mean by quebec documentation for relationship purposes?
As for the reason of moving out is for the long wait in quebec but i only live 10min away from ontario (gatineau), so i will keep the same job too.
As the purpose is the long wait in Quebec, I would go to extra lengths to document completely that you live in Ontario, precisely so they will not think you are 'faking' the move to Ontario (pretending to live there while actually residing in Quebec).

Might be more relevant if you're retaining your primary residence, etc.

Rimka13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
As the purpose is the long wait in Quebec, I would go to extra lengths to document completely that you live in Ontario, precisely so they will not think you are 'faking' the move to Ontario (pretending to live there while actually residing in Quebec).

Might be more relevant if you're retaining your primary residence, etc.
What kind of documents to add?
I will put the new lease contract. It has also the name of my spouse in the lease

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I will put the new lease contract. It has also the name of my spouse in the lease
Just go through the application package, and make sure to provide everything required. Since changing provinces, the two main things to change are driver's license and health card, can't hurt to include a photocopy.

(Taxes obviously have to be updated to but don't know if any need to include here)

morgan98

Aug 14, 2023
I live in Quebec with my husband, we applied for PR sponsorship in December 2022. It is still being processed due to Quebec processing time. He just got a job opportunity in BC and we would have to move in December 2023. Is it legal for me to move even though my application is inside Quebec? If so, would I have to restart my process? Or is there a way to transfer it to BC?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I live in Quebec with my husband, we applied for PR sponsorship in December 2022. It is still being processed due to Quebec processing time. He just got a job opportunity in BC and we would have to move in December 2023. Is it legal for me to move even though my application is inside Quebec? If so, would I have to restart my process? Or is there a way to transfer it to BC?
Of course it's legal to move, congratulations.

You would advise of the change of address when/after you move. No need to restart the process. No one will be able to tell you how long it might take after that. I'd suggest perhaps a month after moving contact your (new) MP to ask them to check the process, possible that may help the officer notice it's in BC and no longer subject to any Quebec issues.

Reactions: ERCAN

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
That`s actually a pretty good justification to move. Problems may occur if IRCC suspects that the actual moving is to circumvent the quota limitation. But changing jobs is a normal process that people go through. It will trigger sponsor reassessment as it`s different in Quebec, but the delay should be nowhere close to the delays inflicted by QC politics...

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When you move submit your new information plus all the information indicating you are permanent residents of BC now not Quebec. Depending how far you’ve gone in the Quebec sponsorship process you will now be able to skip the CSQ application process.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would provide anything showing that Ontario is your permanent home. If your spouse is working they should make sure they are working in Ontario. In that region many work and live on either side of the border with no issue but in this case it is important to shift everything to Ontario and try to convince IRCC that this isn’t a temporary move to qualify for PR faster and easier and that you don’t plan on returning to Quebec as soon as you obtain PR.

Rimka13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Would provide anything showing that Ontario is your permanent home. If your spouse is working they should make sure they are working in Ontario. In that region many work and live on either side of the border with no issue but in this case it is important to shift everything to Ontario and try to convince IRCC that this isn’t a temporary move to qualify for PR faster and easier and that you don’t plan on returning to Quebec as soon as you obtain PR.
Yes i will change my driving license and health card but hope it doesnt take too long for the exchange

Reactions: Homelonely

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did you change the province and did it help?
Please read the full thread. OP had not submitted their application yet and was going to wait until they were in Ontario before submitting.

Reactions: HassamN