+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions About Changing PR Card Gender for Transgender

alex2023

Mar 3, 2023
Hello all,

Really wish someone could shed some light on the overall process for changing Gender on PR Card and other Canadian IDs:

I live in Alberta and started as International Student a few years ago, and recently (last month) becomes the PR under my current/legal/wantToBeChanged identity.

As my transition moving forward, I want to have my Identity on my IDs updated as well, (just the Gender, not the name).

Hopefully I don't have to update my origin country's Passport (a completely rabbit hole, if it's even possible there), so I'm wondering if only have my Canadian IDs (like PR card and Driver's License) updated would be sufficient for me and later apply for the Citizenship?

And where should I start? PR card first, or Provincial IDs first?

From what I read online, it seems the PR Card only need to submit
a form is completely self-declared, wondering where or if I need to attach a doctor's note or anything.

As for Alberta's IDs, they seem a lot more completed, and not many guides mentioned what to do for Immigrant.

Like most of them started by requesting changes/amend to Vital Statistics for birth certificate and stuff that Immigrant not have, and then use that amended birth certificate to update the Provincial IDs.

But what's the procedure for Immigrants?

Would be more than grateful if anyone could share any ideas on these procedures!
Many thanks in advance!

missmari

Mar 28, 2023
Hi,

I live in Alberta.

So for the provincial IDs you can just go to the registry and ask them to change the gender for you, there is no need for a doctor's note.

As an immigrant, you must apply and get a legal name change certificate if you want to change your name but nothing else really for the gender.

For the pr card, you just have to reapply and pay the fee and submit that form IRM 0002 and they will change it for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

Really wish someone could shed some light on the overall process for changing Gender on PR Card and other Canadian IDs:

I live in Alberta and started as International Student a few years ago, and recently (last month) becomes the PR under my current/legal/wantToBeChanged identity.

As my transition moving forward, I want to have my Identity on my IDs updated as well, (just the Gender, not the name).

Hopefully I don't have to update my origin country's Passport (a completely rabbit hole, if it's even possible there), so I'm wondering if only have my Canadian IDs (like PR card and Driver's License) updated would be sufficient for me and later apply for the Citizenship?

And where should I start? PR card first, or Provincial IDs first?

From what I read online, it seems the PR Card only need to submit
a form is completely self-declared, wondering where or if I need to attach a doctor's note or anything.

As for Alberta's IDs, they seem a lot more completed, and not many guides mentioned what to do for Immigrant.

Like most of them started by requesting changes/amend to Vital Statistics for birth certificate and stuff that Immigrant not have, and then use that amended birth certificate to update the Provincial IDs.

But what's the procedure for Immigrants?

Would be more than grateful if anyone could share any ideas on these procedures!
Many thanks in advance!
One word of caution. Typically you should try to keep the information on all your documentation consistent. If you’re not able to change your passport I’m not sure if that will create issues. I am sure an LGBTQIA+ organization may be able to provide you with advice as to whether not having consistent information across all your documentation will be an issue and whether it would be an issue for things like travel or visa applications versus any issue if you were just remaining in Canada.