+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about bringing stuff into Canada as a visitor

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
Hi, my wife and I are planning to drive up from the states and enter Canada at a land crossing.

My wife is US citizen currently waiting on PR decision(possibly soon because she just received the instructions to send her photos and passport photocopy to immigration).

She's entering as a visitor for four months and has a few bags of stuff that she needs for her stay.

She also wants to bring a few boxes of stuff that is miscellaneous like books and bedsheets, only because she has nowhere else to leave it here in the states(she moved out of her apartment). It would be staying here permanently at our house in Canada.

Is bringing this extra misc. stuff something border services might be unhappy about? We figured if we flew in and put it all in checked baggage it would be the same difference, no? My wife has a return flight booked for December. We're just concerned about them thinking she's going to overstay or something.

Hoping somebody could weigh in or just give some advice, we have a long drive through the states and just don't want to get turned around. Thanks in advance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
She's entering as a visitor for four months and has a few bags of stuff that she needs for her stay.

She also wants to bring a few boxes of stuff that is miscellaneous like books and bedsheets, only because she has nowhere else to leave it here in the states(she moved out of her apartment). It would be staying here permanently at our house in Canada.

Is bringing this extra misc. stuff something border services might be unhappy about?
It's not ideal and sometimes they can make a fuss about this, because it looks like she's not coming as a visitor. Or they might not.

To be blunt, it would be easier if it were ... ahem ... your stuff.

Reactions: OrangeMapleIsHome

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
It's not ideal and sometimes they can make a fuss about this, because it looks like she's not coming as a visitor. Or they might not.

To be blunt, it would be easier if it were ... ahem ... your stuff.
Thanks for responding so quick! My wife and I had a laugh. Our funds have been shared for the last 6 years, so all of the things she's bringing are technically also mine..I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. So we'll just have to pay a duty on it I suppose..

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for responding so quick! My wife and I had a laugh. Our funds have been shared for the last 6 years, so all of the things she's bringing are technically also mine..I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. So we'll just have to pay a duty on it I suppose..
Depending what the stuff is, like personal effects and some books, I doubt they'd even want to deal with the paperwork.

Reactions: OrangeMapleIsHome

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It’s not the duty , it’s the “ appearance “ she’s moving up permanently, when she’s only a visitor. Definitely do not say she’s moved out of her apartment. That’ll only give fuel to the fire if they question her bringing up “ stuff “. If they question her it won’t be relevant if she has a place to go back to or not

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
Depending what the stuff is, like personal effects and some books, I doubt they'd even want to deal with the paperwork.
It is some random stuff, like gaming consoles and a record player. I can see them wondering why we're bringing it all, but in all seriousness it is just because she has nowhere else to leave it and I can't see why she'd have to pay for storage over her husband's house for free..

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
It’s not the duty , it’s the “ appearance “ she’s moving up permanently, when she’s only a visitor. Definitely do not say she’s moved out of her apartment. That’ll only give fuel to the fire if they question her bringing up “ stuff “. If they question her it won’t be relevant if she has a place to go back to or not
Okay, so if she has a return flight booked to leave the country, it should be fine? I don't understand why they immediately assume you're going to commit a serious offence simply because you bring a lot of stuff with you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Okay, so if she has a return flight booked to leave the country, it should be fine? I don't understand why they immediately assume you're going to commit a serious offence simply because you bring a lot of stuff with you
It’s not about a serious offence it is about trying to move to Canada if you are only allowed to visit Canada. For example normal visitors won’t bring their own bed sheets, record player, etc.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Because she’s a visitor. Visitors don’t bring up a lot of stuff . It’s all about appearances.