+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about Applying for a travel document (permanent resident abroad)

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Hello Experts
I want to know that how fast a travel document can be obtained in Pakistan. Some friend advised me to attach the confirmed air ticket with application. In my case, I am residing in Pakistan and had landing in april 2016. I came w/o PR card. However, now I am almost done with catching a job in Canada for my profession and will hardly ask them to wait for a month after job offer.

Plz advise whether I will be able to get Travel Document in a month time period while attaching the confirmed air ticket and may be job offer letter in canada from the company concerned.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Gr8AmirM said:
Hello Experts
I want to know that how fast a travel document can be obtained in Pakistan. Some friend advised me to attach the confirmed air ticket with application. In my case, I am residing in Pakistan and had landing in april 2016. I came w/o PR card. However, now I am almost done with catching a job in Canada for my profession and will hardly ask them to wait for a month after job offer.

Plz advise whether I will be able to get Travel Document in a month time period while attaching the confirmed air ticket and may be job offer letter in canada from the company concerned.
PRTD processing times vary from country to country. I suggest you create a new thread to see if anyone has recently applied in Pakistan.

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding travel document:

1. The application asks to to include 2 pieces of supporting documentation of showing that I met the residency obligation. Will a copy of COPR suffice as I became PR in June 2016, which is only 2 months ago?

2. If I am a PR for less than 5 years, do I need to include an explanation for humanitarian and compassionate grounds on field 19?

3. If I am returning in January 2017, is it okay if I apply now? What is the average processing time?

Thanks in advance for answering.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
anandg12 said:
1. The application asks to to include 2 pieces of supporting documentation of showing that I met the residency obligation. Will a copy of COPR suffice as I became PR in June 2016, which is only 2 months ago?

2. If I am a PR for less than 5 years, do I need to include an explanation for humanitarian and compassionate grounds on field 19?

3. If I am returning in January 2017, is it okay if I apply now? What is the average processing time?
1. Your COPR is fine.

2. No, you don't need to fill out the H&C section.

3. Generally, PRTDs take a month or less, depending on the VO.

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Hi
Experts, I want to seek your advice as I have landed in mid April 2016 in Canada. After landing I came back after 25 days without PR Card. Now applying PRTD to go back in near future.

Point 08 asks for submitting last five years records for following documents. Will these things to apply my case as well? I am asking this because it appears to me that they are asking these things as proof of living in Canada. I just had some days stay. Will I also submit these documents for my past years even if these documents showing my home country details? or they don't apply to me.

-Employment records or pay stubs
-CRA notice of assessment
-Evidence of recieving benefits from canadian government
-rental agreements
-club memberships
-or any other document to determine residency obligation

I have my COPR, Medical Card, SIN letter, Bank account that I intend to show them. Are these things sufficient??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Gr8AmirM said:
Experts, I want to seek your advice as I have landed in mid April 2016 in Canada. After landing I came back after 25 days without PR Card. Now applying PRTD to go back in near future.

Point 08 asks for submitting last five years records for following documents.
As you've only been a PR for a few months, you don't need to include any of that. In place, just include a letter of explanation that you are a new PR and still waiting on your first PR card.

PinoyInUS

May 5, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
As you've only been a PR for a few months, you don't need to include any of that. In place, just include a letter of explanation that you are a new PR and still waiting on your first PR card.
Hi, i have done the same thing as they did. Traveled outside canada without pr card yet. If my relatives just send me the pr card, would that be ok to travel back to canada by air?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
PinoyInUS said:
Hi, i have done the same thing as they did. Traveled outside canada without pr card yet. If my relatives just send me the pr card, would that be ok to travel back to canada by air?
Yes, that's fine.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gr8AmirM said:
Hi guys, any one have idea that how long a Travel document remains valid once issued??
As far as I know, it's normally 6 months.

dannyhcang

Feb 2, 2016
Hey everyone! I read the entire thread, page by page. thank you for all of you that have contributed!

Just giving you a quick background of my story before starting my question.
My partner and I both just landed into Canada as PR, TODAY! However we booked our trip to Europe in 3 weeks time. For sure we wont be able to get our PR card before the trip. Sadly yes, this trip was booked and paid before the application was approved. We hold a passport that "requires visa" to enter into Canada, however we have been living here the past 2.5 years. I have an open spousal work permit with a travel permit (worker) and he has a work permit with a US green card (as a travel document/ permit- this is how he has been coming in and out)

Again what I gathered from the forum and what I gathered from CBSA (after calling them) is if I can 'magically' appear at the boarder, even with just the CoPR to show my PR status, that is sufficient. That is WHY CBSA have been emphasizing if you travel by private car into Canada, you are fine without your PR Card or PRTD.

For us to apply for our PRTD during our trip is almost impossible, a) in each cities we are in we are spending less than 3 days b) we are only spending 8 days in total for this trip. c) doubt any of the visa processing centre can turn around so quickly and it seemed like there is only 1 main visa processing centre, that is in London UK, which isnt one of the cities we are visiting.

Questions are:

1) if my understanding and what I read is correct (if anyone have experience and took the chance, please share your experience) , we can technically use our Travel Permits (mine is the TRV which is still valid- worker/ and my partner's US Green card) to have the airline let us get on our flight, and when we are at the border, CBSA shall let us in? Is this correct?
2) just as a confirmation (although I have spoken to CBSA on the phone), you can enter Canada as a PR with your CoPR or whatever you can prove that you are Canadian PR. Is that correct? the only issue is to get the airlines to allow you to get on the plane (and arrive safely of course :D)
3) if we go down this route, or path, are we violating any immigraton law?

Thanks all! Any views, comments, thoughts, or opinion are very welcome at this point!

Cheers
D

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dannyhcang said:
1) if my understanding and what I read is correct (if anyone have experience and took the chance, please share your experience) , we can technically use our Travel Permits (mine is the TRV which is still valid- worker/ and my partner's US Green card) to have the airline let us get on our flight, and when we are at the border, CBSA shall let us in? Is this correct?
CBSA is supposed to remove all TRV/permits, etc from your passport once you land as a PR, since a PR is not eligible to hold any permits or visas. However if CBSA doesn't remove them, then others have reported they have been successful in boarding planes after becoming PRs since the airlines seem to accept the TRV without much questioning. This would rely on the TRV/permits not being voided by CBSA in their system and somehow having the airlines see this info when they swipe the passports/TRV. Obviously some risk involved.

Your partner though is in a more difficult spot. He cannot board a plane on a green card. He would require a valid eTA to go with the green card. And since eTAs are not possible to get for PRs, it will be impossible for your partner to board a plane to Canada without a PR TD or valid PR card. See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=593&top=16

2) just as a confirmation (although I have spoken to CBSA on the phone), you can enter Canada as a PR with your CoPR or whatever you can prove that you are Canadian PR. Is that correct? the only issue is to get the airlines to allow you to get on the plane (and arrive safely of course :D)
Correct, once at a Canada border/airport, you do not require PR TD or PR card. Just your passport and COPR is more than enough.

3) if we go down this route, or path, are we violating any immigraton law?
You will not get in any trouble for boarding the plane as a foreign national (if you can), instead of as a PR. CBSA will not ask or care how you got to Canada.

If your partner has no chance to board a plane direct to Canada, your only option would be to re-route your flights home to a USA/Canada land border instead and drive/walk across the border.

dannyhcang

Feb 2, 2016
Thanks Rob.

My Travel permit as Immigrant was voided when I landed as PR but my TRV as worker was not voided... unless the airline have access to CIC/CBSA website there is no way they can tell if my TRV is voided in the system or I am now a PR.

As for my partner, understand the tricky part on ETA. But he already had a valid ETA prior to landing as PR. Like the above unless the airline have access to their CBSA or cic system if not they cannot tell if the ETA has been voided or not...

Can someone confirm if the airline or through their experience what the airline does is just looking at the physical copy and they do not have access to CBSA or cic system?