+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questioning at POE on re-entry and preserving PR

dir1944

Apr 24, 2017
Do I still have landed immigrant status?

I entered Canada as a Landed Immigrant in August 1973. I left Canada to move back to Los Angeles, CA in Feb. 1976. I only returned to Canada once in 2007 to take a cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles, otherwise I've never been back. Am I still considered a Landed Immigrant?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Re: Do I still have landed immigrant status?

dir1944 said:
I entered Canada as a Landed Immigrant in August 1973. I left Canada to move back to Los Angeles, CA in Feb. 1976. I only returned to Canada once in 2007 to take a cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles, otherwise I've never been back. Am I still considered a Landed Immigrant?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.
When you came in 2007, did you come as a PR or a visitor? Was your PR status revoked because you have not met the residency obligations? If yes, you are no longer a PR. If not, when you enter Canada next time and if you disclose your status or officer gets to know about your PR status, they may report you to CIC and your PR will be revoked.

dir1944

Apr 24, 2017
i believe i entered as a visitor because they never told me my status was being revoked. i guess in a way my status is still active in their computer system and if they hassle me this time, i'll just tell them i'll renounce the landed immigrant status.
thank you for your reply.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
dir1944 said:
i believe i entered as a visitor because they never told me my status was being revoked. i guess in a way my status is still active in their computer system and if they hassle me this time, i'll just tell them i'll renounce the landed immigrant status.
thank you for your reply.

If you are PR and enter with a foreign(visa waiver) passport, I am not sure if CBSA's system or officer will detect you as a PR. Did you tell him that you are a PR of Canada?
At this point its hard to tell whether you are still a PR or your PR has been revoked unless you go to Canada and tell them you are a PR and if they report you then your PR status will be revoked.
Other way is to officially renounce your PR. It's up to you how you want to proceed.