+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question

elgama

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
hi, I want to know how it affects if a Mexican immigrant tries to cross illegally to USA and is detained by immigration, and when asking the FBI history appears, that crime 3 years ago, can apply for a work visa in Canada? or really is almost impossible to obtain a work visa in conjunction with a valid LMIA, it should be noted that many Mexicans try to cross every day to the neighboring country, either for economic improvement or the difficult situation that sometimes by drug trafficking insecurity causes living in mexico.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi, I want to know how it affects if a Mexican immigrant tries to cross illegally to USA and is detained by immigration, and when asking the FBI history appears, that crime 3 years ago, can apply for a work visa in Canada? or really is almost impossible to obtain a work visa in conjunction with a valid LMIA, it should be noted that many Mexicans try to cross every day to the neighboring country, either for economic improvement or the difficult situation that sometimes by drug trafficking insecurity causes living in mexico.
This history will make it much more difficult for a work permit to be approved.

This person will need to declare this information in their work permit application to Canada. (Canada and the US share immigration information so Canada will find out one way or the other. Failing to declare his history will result in a refusal and most likely a 5 year ban.)

If this history was from a long time ago and the application has strong ties to their home country and no immigration violations since then, there's a chance the work permit will be approved. If this history is relatively recent, the work permit will most likely be refused.

elgama

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
This history will make it much more difficult for a work permit to be approved.

This person will need to declare this information in their work permit application to Canada. (Canada and the US share immigration information so Canada will find out one way or the other. Failing to declare his history will result in a refusal and most likely a 5 year ban.)

If this history was from a long time ago and the application has strong ties to their home country and no immigration violations since then, there's a chance the work permit will be approved. If this history is relatively recent, the work permit will most likely be refused.
well, explaining well the immigration capture were in 2018, and also 2019, it should be noted that being a tilesetter, an occupation that in mexico almost does not exist because a handyman does it but does not have the same quality, it means that those who want a placement of excellence in mexico call it a tilesetter, sometimes a drug trafficker hires one, and it is difficult to say no, and sometimes they decide not to pay or scare you even with your life, so the question, sometimes a Mexican is forced to seek another destination either illegally and one knows it is not the best way, but with a history of 2018 and also of 2019 is it feasible to apply for rehabilitation or a work permit? Since for rehabilitation 5 years must have passed, but I do not know the consequences of the problem of crossing or trying to cross illegally to the USA. and strong ties? having wife and 3 children, have been married for over 10 years, and having own property(home)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
well, explaining well the immigration capture were in 2018, and also 2019, it should be noted that being a tilesetter, an occupation that in mexico almost does not exist because a handyman does it but does not have the same quality, it means that those who want a placement of excellence in mexico call it a tilesetter, sometimes a drug trafficker hires one, and it is difficult to say no, and sometimes they decide not to pay or scare you even with your life, so the question, sometimes a Mexican is forced to seek another destination either illegally and one knows it is not the best way, but with a history of 2018 and also of 2019 is it feasible to apply for rehabilitation or a work permit? Since for rehabilitation 5 years must have passed, but I do not know the consequences of the problem of crossing or trying to cross illegally to the USA.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
The rehabilitation application and the captures at the US border are two separate matters. The reasons why you crossed illegally do not matter.

If it has been five years or more since you complete all probation / paid all fines related to your crime, then you can apply for rehabilitation. Processing times are very long so I would suggest you do that soon.

If rehabilitation is approved, then you can certainly apply for a work permit based on a job offer + approved LMIA. You will need to declare both the 2018 and 2019 incidents where you were caught at the border and were prevented from entering the US. These are very recent and in my opinion these incidents will make it very difficult for you to be approved for a work permit to Canada. Of course you can certainly try.

The first step if you want to try is to apply for rehabilitation.

elgama

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
The rehabilitation application and the captures at the US border are two separate matters. The reasons why you crossed illegally do not matter.

If it has been five years or more since you complete all probation / paid all fines related to your crime, then you can apply for rehabilitation. Processing times are very long so I would suggest you do that soon.

If rehabilitation is approved, then you can certainly apply for a work permit based on a job offer + approved LMIA. You will need to declare both the 2018 and 2019 incidents where you were caught at the border and were prevented from entering the US. These are very recent and in my opinion these incidents will make it very difficult for you to be approved for a work permit to Canada. Of course you can certainly try.

The first step if you want to try is to apply for rehabilitation.
Rehabilitation, I lived in the US from 1999, to 2011, by 2011 have been charged for domestic violence, 28 days of jail, 3 years probation and 2500 USD fine. I completed with probation and fine by 2014, applied for a work visa in Canada 2017. I didnt explained my domestic violence in the US, and accused for missrepresentation. thats why I tried to cross to the united states by 2018, but what I explained it is difficult in Mexico, the insecurity

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Rehabilitation, I lived in the US from 1999, to 2011, by 2011 have been charged for domestic violence, 28 days of jail, 3 years probation and 2500 USD fine. I completed with probation and fine by 2014, applied for a work visa in Canada 2017. I didnt explained my domestic violence in the US, and accused for missrepresentation. thats why I tried to cross to the united states by 2018, but what I explained it is difficult in Mexico, the insecurity
This doesn't change anything. Again, your reasons for entering the US illegally don't matter. What matters is that you attempted illegal entry and that you were caught.

Based on your overall immigration history, the chances a work permit is going to be approved are very low. But again, you can certainly try.

You will have to make sure you declare:
- any period where you were living illegally in the US
- your domestic violence conviction
- all of your failed attempts to enter the US illegally
- all of your refused work permit applications to Canada

elgama

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
This doesn't change anything. Again, your reasons for entering the US illegally don't matter. What matters is that you attempted illegal entry and that you were caught.

Based on your overall immigration history, the chances a work permit is going to be approved are very low. But again, you can certainly try.

You will have to make sure you declare:
- any period where you were living illegally in the US
- your domestic violence conviction
- all of your failed attempts to enter the US illegally
- all of your refused work permit applications to Canada
I forgot to say , I am married since 22 years ago , same wife and having 3 children, I am saying this because you asked for strong ties, and having my own house, or that is not strong ties?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I forgot to say , I am married since 22 years ago , same wife and having 3 children, I am saying this because you asked for strong ties, and having my own house
Are you wife and three children in Mexico?

elgama

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
Are you wife and three children in Mexico?
I met my wife by 1998, we started living together since 1999, we moved to the US in 1999, we didnt married because my mom was trying to apply for my US residence, well I had my domestic violence charge in the US, we moved back to mexico, and we get legally married by 2013, and by church 2018, almost 23 years living together, my children and wife are in my house in Mexico, never separeted, my family it is my most important thing in my life

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I met my wife by 1998, we started living together since 1999, we moved to the US in 1999, we didnt married because my mom was trying to apply for my US residence, well I had my domestic violence charge in the US, we moved back to mexico, and we get legally married by 2013, and by church 2018, almost 23 years living together, my children and wife are in my house in Mexico, never separeted, my family it is my most important thing in my life
They are a tie in that case. However I still think you are going to have a huge uphill battle to get a work permit approved. Good luck.

elgama

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
well, if I apply for rehabilitation I do have my mexican passport expired, expires by january 2022, do I have to renew it? or can I use that that one? the unique reason to have my mexican passport was with the intention to apply for a work visa in Canada, I do have a 2 valid LMIA job offers, thats my unique doubt, can I use an expired passport? just for rehabilitation, not for a work visa

Last edited:

Hehee

Star Member
Feb 28, 2022
well, if I apply for rehabilitation I do have my mexican passport expired, expires by january 2022, do I have to renew it? or can I use that that one? the unique reason to have my mexican passport was with the intention to apply for a work visa in Canada, I do have a 2 valid LMIA job offers, thats my unique doubt, can I use an expired passport? just for rehabilitation, not for a work visa
Your case is very complicated. I will hire a professional lawyer if I were you. They can fight for your work permit and make arguments for your right. No one here is a authorized including me. It will cost you but you have to hire a lawyer if you really want a work permit.

elgama

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
Your case is very complicated. I will hire a professional lawyer if I were you. They can fight for your work permit and make arguments for your right. No one here is a authorized including me. It will cost you but you have to hire a lawyer if you really want a work permit.
anyone to trust? and the lawyer can fix my case for sure?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
anyone to trust? and the lawyer can fix my case for sure?
No one can fix your case for sure. There is no "for sure" path for you. A lawyer can help you navigate the process. However a lawyer certainly will not guarantee approval.

elgama

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
No one can fix your case for sure. There is no "for sure" path for you. A lawyer can help you navigate the process. However a lawyer certainly will not guarantee approval.
I understand, and my passport has to be renewed?