+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regd Residency requirement

explorer_on

Jun 12, 2012
Hello,

I am a PR of Canada, living in US with spouse(Canadian) since july 2009 to tilldate.
I am now applying for canadian citizenship. I have a question regarding residency requirement, when i completed my application i opted for online residence calculator. It shows that i have met the basic residency requirement but mentions(since i have been living outside Canada for almost 4 yrs )the judge may decide whether i am eligible to get the citizenship or not.....

So my question is will my stay outside canada will not be considered as though i live in Canada if i am staying with a Canadian spouse???

If anyone can help with this would really appreciate. So then i can decide whether to apply for citizenship right now or not?

PS: landed in canada as PR on 19-06-2006
Moved to USA on 25-07-2009

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Time outside Canada does not count towards the residency requirement. You can keep your PR status while living with your Canadian spouse outside of Canada, but you will not qualify for citizenship.

explorer_on

Jun 12, 2012
links18 said:
Time outside Canada does not count towards the residency requirement. You can keep your PR status while living with your Canadian spouse outside of Canada, but you will not qualify for citizenship.
Hello links18,

I appreciate your quick response.

But i did live in canada for 3 yrs ( 1095 days) and fulfilled the residency requirement before moving to USA. So doesn't that count???

Thanks again.

Explorer

canucksrig

Jan 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
explorer_on said:
Hello links18,

I appreciate your quick response.

But i did live in canada for 3 yrs ( 1095 days) and fulfilled the residency requirement before moving to USA. So doesn't that count???

Thanks again.

Explorer

The residency (4 years) towards citizenship is taken from the day you sign your application. if you have lived inside canada last three years you qualify. The residency has a sliding window.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
canucksrig said:
The residency (4 years) towards citizenship is taken from the day you sign your application. if you have lived inside canada last three years you qualify. The residency has a sliding window.
Why oh why didn't you apply after you became eligible before moving to the states? There is only a very limited window that CIC will allow you to look back to get that four year period. You appear to have missed your chance.