+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding the citizenship application

jbjkac

Dec 5, 2017
Hey guys.

We all know that one must fulfill 3 out of 5 years in order to apply for citizenship.

However, I am wondering if one has to fulfill this requirement even after the date of sending the application.

For example, if I fail to stay in Canada 3 out of 5 years on the date I have citizenship exam/interview or the ceremony (which may take up to 12 month), will CIC refuse to give me Canadian citizenship?

I am worried as I am planning to apply for citizenship this month and return back to US for University.

Last edited:

Kan_Sri

Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014
I am not a Lawyer or anything but based on my reading, there is no residency requirement (after the application has been sent out). The only thing is they send out the letter for test invite and letter for oath ceremony to a canadian address and you should be in a position to get those letters and should be able to attend the test, interview and oath ceremony.

You should be able to explain in the interview that you are attending a US university and intend to come back to canada after completion.

Hey guys.

We all know that one must fulfill 3 out of 5 years in order to apply for citizenship.

However, I am wondering if one has to fulfill this requirement even after the date of sending the application.

For example, if I fail to stay in Canada 3 out of 5 years on the date I have citizenship exam/interview or the ceremony (which may take up to 12 month), will CIC refuse to give me Canadian citizenship?

I am worried as I am planning to apply for citizenship this month and return back to US for University.

jbjkac

Dec 5, 2017
Thats what I thought so too. A friend of mine told me something else and got me confused.

Thanks for replying

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hey guys.

It's not as easy as described above. Here are the rules:
  • Yes, it is correct that the residency requirement of 1095 days in the last five years is always checked for the day before the application was signed. So it doesn't matter when the test/oath and so on is.
  • However, and this is important: Until the day of the oath you must remain a Permanent Resident in good standing. This means that at all times do you have to fulfill the phyiscal presence requirement of a permanent (730 days in the last five years). This is the usual "rolling" requirement. If, even on the day of the oath, they find out that you haven't been physically present for 730 days in the five years before the oath, your application would be canned.
I hope this helps.

Reactions: vasvas