+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding taxes in relation to citizenship application

Nzick

Oct 4, 2015
Hey folks. Applying for citizenship. Currently a PR.

Landed in Canada as a PR on December 5, 2019. I was still working remotely for an international company with headquarters in the United States but my freelance contract was based out of my home country in Asia. End of December, 2019, I received money for work done in November. In November, I was still in my home country and not even PR yet.

Im being asked if I have filed taxes for the following tax years.

2023 - No (because I haven’t received T4 yet)
2022 - Yes, filed
2021 - Yes, filed
2020 - Yes, filed
2019 - No because I had landed in December, was new and clueless about taxes in Canada.

Question: Should I have filed for taxes for tax year 2019 even though I was only here for a month? I know it’s late now but I can reach out to my accountant and do a delayed filing but just wanted your thoughts.

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hey folks. Applying for citizenship. Currently a PR.

Landed in Canada as a PR on December 5, 2019. I was still working remotely for an international company with headquarters in the United States but my freelance contract was based out of my home country in Asia. End of December, 2019, I received money for work done in November. In November, I was still in my home country and not even PR yet.

Im being asked if I have filed taxes for the following tax years.

2023 - No (because I haven’t received T4 yet)
2022 - Yes, filed
2021 - Yes, filed
2020 - Yes, filed
2019 - No because I had landed in December, was new and clueless about taxes in Canada.

Question: Should I have filed for taxes for tax year 2019 even though I was only here for a month? I know it’s late now but I can reach out to my accountant and do a delayed filing but just wanted your thoughts.
I landed in 2017 in June and had to show earnings from Jan - Jun earned in home country while filing returns in Canada. Due to DTAA, you don't have to pay tax in Canada for your income in home country as you already did pay tax for it back in your home country(if they have a DTAA with Canada)

For your question - 2019, yes even if you were here for a month.

Nzick

Oct 4, 2015
I landed in 2017 in June and had to show earnings from Jan - Jun earned in home country while filing returns in Canada. Due to DTAA, you don't have to pay tax in Canada for your income in home country as you already did pay tax for it back in your home country(if they have a DTAA with Canada)

For your question - 2019, yes even if you were here for a month.
Thank you! I had a follow up, though. It looks like my home country and Canada do have DTAA. However, my accountant is saying that he only needs the information for December 2019. When you say you had to show earnings from Jan to Jun, was this to the accountant? Did the accountant ask this specifically because you were filing for returns?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you! I had a follow up, though. It looks like my home country and Canada do have DTAA. However, my accountant is saying that he only needs the information for December 2019. When you say you had to show earnings from Jan to Jun, was this to the accountant? Did the accountant ask this specifically because you were filing for returns?
Yes it was my first filing so that info was used by my accountant to file the returns. Yes he explicitly told me to calculate my home country income in CAD.

Nzick

Oct 4, 2015
Yes it was my first filing so that info was used by my accountant to file the returns. Yes he explicitly told me to calculate my home country income in CAD.
When did you become a PR, though? My accountant is saying we do not need to declare income made outside of Canada and not received while in Canada. I became a PR in December 2019, so he's saying income made and received outside of Canada does not need to be declared. Maybe the difference is I'm not filing for a refund. I am definitely declaring my income for December, just not for the rest of the year as that income was for work done outside Canada and also income was received outside of Canada.

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
When did you become a PR, though? My accountant is saying we do not need to declare income made outside of Canada and not received while in Canada. I became a PR in December 2019, so he's saying income made and received outside of Canada does not need to be declared. Maybe the difference is I'm not filing for a refund. I am definitely declaring my income for December, just not for the rest of the year as that income was for work done outside Canada and also income was received outside of Canada.
He is an expert so better go with what he is saying. I did what my accountant said at that time. I didn't even know that filing taxes would be a thing for citizenship at that time.

Nzick

Oct 4, 2015
He is an expert so better go with what he is saying. I did what my accountant said at that time. I didn't even know that filing taxes would be a thing for citizenship at that time.
Thanks for your input though! Appreciate it!