+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding shipping belongings for inland spousal sponsorships

Ibeforem

Oct 9, 2017
My partner will be entering on an eTA and starting the application inland while living with me. What is the appropriate way to have their belongings shipped here? Any specific documents? Set their name as the receiver? I haven’t found much information about this anywhere online. Would appreciate some insight. Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My partner will be entering on an eTA and starting the application inland while living with me. What is the appropriate way to have their belongings shipped here? Any specific documents? Set their name as the receiver? I haven’t found much information about this anywhere online. Would appreciate some insight. Thanks.
She should wait until after becoming a PR. Otherwise, she will have to pay full customs and duties on her belongings.

Ibeforem

Oct 9, 2017
She should wait until after becoming a PR. Otherwise, she will have to pay full customs and duties on her belongings.
That is no issue. But can she ship them to her name before having status since a PR takes 12 months to process? Can she at least ship them once she gets OWP? I can ship them to my name, but clothing items for example are obviously not mine. Not sure what is the right way to do this. Would appreciate suggestions..

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That is no issue. But can she ship them to her name before having status since a PR takes 12 months to process? Can she at least ship them once she gets OWP? I can ship them to my name, but clothing items for example are obviously not mine. Not sure what is the right way to do this. Would appreciate suggestions..
She can ship them in her name.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Even prior to the OWP being granted? I'd assume it'd be strange when she goes to declare them as her only Identification would be a passport where the officer would probably be expecting a provincial ID.
People don't have to have a provincial ID to receive goods.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You typically don't even interact with a government officer to pick up goods. Customs assessment is done before you get there. If you're claiming a duty exemption, that has to be done completely separately from actually picking up the product unless you tell the shipper you're doing the customs clearance yourself.

We mailed a box of my partner's belongings to Canada. It came via Canada Post and ended up at my local post office. I picked it up, interacting only with the local drug store employee who managed the co-located post office inside the drug store.

Ibeforem

Oct 9, 2017
You typically don't even interact with a government officer to pick up goods. Customs assessment is done before you get there. If you're claiming a duty exemption, that has to be done completely separately from actually picking up the product unless you tell the shipper you're doing the customs clearance yourself.

We mailed a box of my partner's belongings to Canada. It came via Canada Post and ended up at my local post office. I picked it up, interacting only with the local drug store employee who managed the co-located post office inside the drug store.
If the the box count is higher (10-30) and are being shipped via sea, who will i be interacting with?

HandInHandVII

Aug 11, 2019
We are also doing our app inland. We shipped belongings using UPS and had no problems. We put the Canadian Citizen as the recipient just to be safe. They came right to the home address of the Canadian Citizen.

Ibeforem

Oct 9, 2017
We are also doing our app inland. We shipped belongings using UPS and had no problems. We put the Canadian Citizen as the recipient just to be safe. They came right to the home address of the Canadian Citizen.
Is the Candian citizen one of the couple or is it a trusted third person?