+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding RQ

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
On one of the discussions here, I read that RQs can add years to the citizenship application. I’ve been asked to submit my travel history and copy of each page of my passport (with translations of non-Eng/Fr stamps).

Would anyone like to share their experiences on the period between RQ and Oath? How long did it take? Any further follow ups? A second interview? Did they travel before/during/after RQ.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
On one of the discussions here, I read that RQs can add years to the citizenship application. I’ve been asked to submit my travel history and copy of each page of my passport (with translations of non-Eng/Fr stamps).

Would anyone like to share their experiences on the period between RQ and Oath? How long did it take? Any further follow ups? A second interview? Did they travel before/during/after RQ.
This does not sound like RQ. RQ as far as I’m aware is Residency Questionnaire, normal requests are for bank and card statements, mortgage or rental details, proof of being in Canada etc.

This is almost certainly non routine (even FP is non routine and ~20% of people get that), and likely just due to a lot of travel, or unclear physical presence calculator (assuming you used the online one) and travel to places without stamps in English/French.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

As observed by @jc94 this is "non-routine."

So the timeline is even less predictable than the timeline for routinely processed applications.

Also as observed by @jc94 but depending on just what the requests are, this is might not be the dreaded RQ. If it is not RQ, and you timely submit what is requested, the delay beyond the routinely processed timeline may not be a lot, from merely a month to several months.

I will not venture to guess whether this is RQ or not. You know it is RQ if you got either the CIT 0520 (RQ-lite) or the CIT 0171 (often referred to a full-blown RQ).

". . . asked to submit my travel history . . . "​

When IRCC asks for an updated version of the applicant's travel history, that is a RQ-related request and thus is usually attendant either the RQ-lite or full RQ. (After all, ALL applicants must submit a travel history just to make a complete application, so a request for travel history following the interview is more or less RQ-related.)

BUT sometimes applicants do get this or that specific request that is RQ-related without being issued either RQ forms, that is, NOT the CIT 0520 nor CIT 0171 forms. Record of movement or travel history from other countries, or the U.S. entry records, and such, are among the more common examples. Again, if that is all this is, the impact on the timeline should not be too long (unless there are still concerns). Still less predictable than the routinely processed application, but actually that timeline varies a lot anyway.

If you received these requests attendant the CIT 0520 RQ-lite form, that is more likely to result in some delay, but the actual impact might not be too lengthy.

If you received these requests attendant the CIT 0171 RQ form, that is more likely to result in a substantial delay. Still varies a great deal. Depends a lot on how well your submissions answer any questions. Some full-blown RQs are resolved upon review, some go into a lengthy queue for preparation of a referral using the File Preparation Template, and then if it is actually sent to a CJ this would likely add more than a year to the process.

Reactions: jc94

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
As observed by @jc94 this is "non-routine."

So the timeline is even less predictable than the timeline for routinely processed applications.

Also as observed by @jc94 but depending on just what the requests are, this is might not be the dreaded RQ. If it is not RQ, and you timely submit what is requested, the delay beyond the routinely processed timeline may not be a lot, from merely a month to several months.

I will not venture to guess whether this is RQ or not. You know it is RQ if you got either the CIT 0520 (RQ-lite) or the CIT 0171 (often referred to a full-blown RQ).

". . . asked to submit my travel history . . . "​

When IRCC asks for an updated version of the applicant's travel history, that is a RQ-related request and thus is usually attendant either the RQ-lite or full RQ. (After all, ALL applicants must submit a travel history just to make a complete application, so a request for travel history following the interview is more or less RQ-related.)

BUT sometimes applicants do get this or that specific request that is RQ-related without being issued either RQ forms, that is, NOT the CIT 0520 nor CIT 0171 forms. Record of movement or travel history from other countries, or the U.S. entry records, and such, are among the more common examples. Again, if that is all this is, the impact on the timeline should not be too long (unless there are still concerns). Still less predictable than the routinely processed application, but actually that timeline varies a lot anyway.

If you received these requests attendant the CIT 0520 RQ-lite form, that is more likely to result in some delay, but the actual impact might not be too lengthy.

If you received these requests attendant the CIT 0171 RQ form, that is more likely to result in a substantial delay. Still varies a great deal. Depends a lot on how well your submissions answer any questions. Some full-blown RQs are resolved upon review, some go into a lengthy queue for preparation of a referral using the File Preparation Template, and then if it is actually sent to a CJ this would likely add more than a year to the process.
Thank you @jc94 & @dpenabill firctiur detailed responses. I looked at the doc given at the interview. It said “Request for Supplementary Evidence” and did not have any CIT numbers ie 0520 or 0171, so I’m feeling much better now and hopeful that this should not be an interminable delay. I am confident of the information I have provided & have absolutely no concerns about it being misleading or false. Since it’s not over till it is really over, fingers crossed!
The good news is that as I type this, my wife and children received their passports this morning!

Reactions: jc94

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Thank you @jc94 & @dpenabill firctiur detailed responses. I looked at the doc given at the interview. It said “Request for Supplementary Evidence” and did not have any CIT numbers ie 0520 or 0171, so I’m feeling much better now and hopeful that this should not be an interminable delay. I am confident of the information I have provided & have absolutely no concerns about it being misleading or false. Since it’s not over till it is really over, fingers crossed!
The good news is that as I type this, my wife and children received their passports this morning!
Great! Please do let us and any others for future reference know how it goes. Best of luck.