+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding re-entry on almost expired IEC visa.

peachybear

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
Hello

I find myself in a predicament, This past weekend my father passed away, I'm originally from Scotland and have been in Canada for close to 2 years. My partner and I want to attend my father's funeral back in Scotland, my work permit expires on August 18th, 2022, I'm estimating we will leave for a week and be back on August 3rd, leaving less than 2 weeks left on my permit +the fact that I'll be trying to re-enter after only being out of the country for one week.

My partner and I have applied for common-law sponsorship (within Canada) + it is currently being processed, I have also included an OWP in that application that I haven't received as of yet. I called IRCC yesterday and explained my situation she said something along the lines of "you MAY be able to get back I can't comment on which status you'll have"

She then sent this:

You may be authorized to re-enter Canada:

• As a temporary resident, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved (if applicable, it will be important to wait until you receive your new permit before you start to work/study):
    • this applies to you if, among other things:
      • you are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt,
      • you hold a valid multiple-entry visa, or
      • you have traveled only to the United States (excluding cruises entering international waters) and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon,

I'm worried that when we try to come back they might deny me since I don't have a long time left on my visa and my new permit hasn't been issued, I, of course, want to go home to family but I feel like MY home is here in Canada with my partner.

Can anyone offer any advice on what I could possibly do? We thought that we could show the receipt of payment for the PR sponsorship / the OWP, anything to prove that I have started to create my life in Canada with my partner + explain the situation, I honestly wouldn't mind if I had visitor status until my new permit were to come in, I know it all depends on the officer on the day but I am absolutely losing my mind and I have less than a week to make this choice..

Thank you for reading.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

I find myself in a predicament, This past weekend my father passed away, I'm originally from Scotland and have been in Canada for close to 2 years. My partner and I want to attend my father's funeral back in Scotland, my work permit expires on August 18th, 2022, I'm estimating we will leave for a week and be back on August 3rd, leaving less than 2 weeks left on my permit +the fact that I'll be trying to re-enter after only being out of the country for one week.

My partner and I have applied for common-law sponsorship (within Canada) + it is currently being processed, I have also included an OWP in that application that I haven't received as of yet. I called IRCC yesterday and explained my situation she said something along the lines of "you MAY be able to get back I can't comment on which status you'll have"

She then sent this:

You may be authorized to re-enter Canada:

• As a temporary resident, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved (if applicable, it will be important to wait until you receive your new permit before you start to work/study):
    • this applies to you if, among other things:
      • you are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt,
      • you hold a valid multiple-entry visa, or
      • you have traveled only to the United States (excluding cruises entering international waters) and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon,

I'm worried that when we try to come back they might deny me since I don't have a long time left on my visa and my new permit hasn't been issued, I, of course, want to go home to family but I feel like MY home is here in Canada with my partner.

Can anyone offer any advice on what I could possibly do? We thought that we could show the receipt of payment for the PR sponsorship / the OWP, anything to prove that I have started to create my life in Canada with my partner + explain the situation, I honestly wouldn't mind if I had visitor status until my new permit were to come in, I know it all depends on the officer on the day but I am absolutely losing my mind and I have less than a week to make this choice..

Thank you for reading.
While reentry is never completely guaranteed, the chances of you having issues reentering are pretty much nil. Make sure you have a valid eTA so that you can board the plane home. My condolences for your father's passing.

peachybear

Star Member
Mar 8, 2018
While reentry is never completely guaranteed, the chances of you having issues reentering are pretty much nil. Make sure you have a valid eTA so that you can board the plane home. My condolences for your father's passing.
Thank you for your condoldences. My eTA is valid until 2024, although I don't think I have a record, I assume it'll be linked to my passport # which is valid until 2025.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your condoldences. My eTA is valid until 2024, although I don't think I have a record, I assume it'll be linked to my passport # which is valid until 2025.
My condolences. Would make sure to bring proof that you are in the process of inland sponsorship as well as proof that you were attending your father’s funeral. Wouldn’t volunteer the information but if your happened to be questioned would bring up both things. Would also have proof that you can support yourself without working with your own savings or your partner’s savings. As previously noted you are unlikely to have an issue.