AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
What I don't know is if the Hague convention of stateless applies only to the host country. In other words, if a child is born in a country and became stateless. If the host country is signatory to Hague convention, then the country is forced to give citizenship. If the host is not signatory to Hague convention, does the Hague convention forces Canada to give citizenship because parents are Canadian. That I don't know.

There was a case of a child being born in Japan and because stateless. Canada wasn't forced to give citizenship just because one parent was Canadian by descent. The child ended up getting Irish citizenship because the Canadian by descent parent has Irish grandparents and was able to acquire it through grandparents' Irish citizenship.

vinko

Nov 20, 2014
Hello!,

First time here, been through the questions and answers, and I'm happy to say that joining the forum has been a good idea, my question has been answered.
However, I do have a follow-up question: my wife and I are both naturalized citizens, but we have left Canada (not sure yet if it is going to be a permanent or temporary move) and are living in my wife's home country, Mexico, where our son was born in 2011. Judging by the Q and A in this thread, that makes him Canadian, but I'd like to know how to go about getting him his passport, or better, how to register him as Canadian.

Thank you for your time and answers, looking forward to them.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
vinko said:
Hello!,

First time here, been through the questions and answers, and I'm happy to say that joining the forum has been a good idea, my question has been answered.
However, I do have a follow-up question: my wife and I are both naturalized citizens, but we have left Canada (not sure yet if it is going to be a permanent or temporary move) and are living in my wife's home country, Mexico, where our son was born in 2011. Judging by the Q and A in this thread, that makes him Canadian, but I'd like to know how to go about getting him his passport, or better, how to register him as Canadian.

Thank you for your time and answers, looking forward to them.
You have to submit an application to apply for Canadian Citizenship Certificate. Once you have the certificate, the child is registered as Canadian. You can get Canadian Passport using Canadian citizenship certificate.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

Steel Detailer

Jul 15, 2014
screech339 said:
There's no confusion.

A - is naturalized canadian.
B - child is naturalized Canadian after getting PR and applied same time with parent A.
C - this child is canadian by descent because parent B is naturalized Canadian.
D - child does not get Canadian citizenship because parent C is Canadian by descent.

The citizenship law was changed so that canadian citizenship cannot be passed on for generations to those who never stepped foot in Canada their entire lives.

Classic example. Lebanese Canadian. When the war broke out, all the Canadian lebanese wanted Canada to pull them out at taxpayer's expense. When the war ended, they all went back. These people never stepped foot in Canada their entire lives. They only gotten citizenship because their ancestors was Canadian at one time and they passed it on from one generation to another. They didn't even need to know english / french / pay taxes. The change was made to prevent the abuse of passing of the citizenship for eternity.
I AGREE with you SCREECH, Just to make everything straightforward and absolutely no confusions - In short, THIRD GENERATION OF THE FAMILY MEMBER CAN NOT ACQUIRE CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP STATUS FROM THEIR PARENTS IF THEY'RE BORN OUTSIDE CANADA! SIMPLE AS THAT. AND I AGREE WITH THIS LAW! CHEERS.

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The best way would be for every generation by descent to come and settle in Canada or give birth here.. this will preserve the link with the country.