+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding Minor Applicant

Mashieru

May 7, 2018
Hey, so my brother is turning 18 in under 2 months time. Since the citizenship cost for minors was lowered to $100, can he apply for citizenship and still be considered a minor by the time it starts processing? My parents are not Canadian citizens nor are planning on applying anytime soon. I tried calling the IRCC to ask them but their agents are all not available and I was not able to get into a queue line. However, I will also be applying for my citizenship soon so if possible, I would like to apply at the same time as he is so our application is processed at the same time. Lastly, we are from Vancouver, BC if that makes a difference.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Hey, so my brother is turning 18 in under 2 months time. Since the citizenship cost for minors was lowered to $100, can he apply for citizenship and still be considered a minor by the time it starts processing? My parents are not Canadian citizens nor are planning on applying anytime soon. I tried calling the IRCC to ask them but their agents are all not available and I was not able to get into a queue line.
I think so, as long as he meets the residence requirements which include physical presence...

Mashieru

May 7, 2018
I think so, as long as he meets the residence requirements which include physical presence...
We meet the physical residency requirements. I just wanna know if our application would be refused because of him turning 18 in just 2 months. I know you can apply in the circumstance that one of the parents is a Canadian citizen or is applying as well, but I couldnt find anything on the website regarding non-citizens.

Mashieru

May 7, 2018
This cannot be a basis for refusal, since you can only be one age at a time :)
So, if my brother would be to apply right now or in the upcoming days, they would still accept it as soon as they start processing since he would be 17?

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
We meet the physical residency requirements. I just wanna know if our application would be refused because of him turning 18 in just 2 months. I know you can apply in the circumstance that one of the parents is a Canadian citizen or is applying as well, but I couldnt find anything on the website regarding non-citizens.
Hey Mashieru,

If your brother is currently a PR and meets the residency requirements, he can apply alone as a minor without a parent who is Canadian or applying concurrently.

However, the application form is different and you need to look at the requirements under Minor B(1). Here is the link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-minors-subsection-5-11.html

If your brother applies (does not matter when the CIC processes him, it is usually by the date of the signed application) before he turns 18, the fee would be indeed $100. My advice is to do it ASAP.

I actually applied under the Minors B(1) application as well, so if you should have any questions, feel free to ask. :)