+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding citizenship application timing for minor

TAE

Oct 11, 2018
Hi All, if someone can help with advice - I am a Canadian citizen, immigrated 7 years ago and was granted citizenship 3 years ago

my 9 years old daughter was living with my ex abroad and finally moved to Canada in July - I have full custody now and she is already a PR - when should I apply for her citizenship?

thanks for any advice

TAE

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
You can do it today.
There's no physical presence requirement for PR minor children of Canadian citizens.
When did she get her PR ? Was it when you got your PR ? Did she ever land at the time ? If she got her PR before you becoming a citizen, you should have applied for her with you as physical presence wouldn't have applied to her. There might be a way for you to apply for her now, but I don't know for sure.
However, if she got her PR after you became citizen, through sponsorship for example than the below is more likely the apply.

I do not think the above applies for kids applying for citizenship without one of their parents. In that case, the children don't have the requirements but their parents do. They automatically get it with their parents.
But if the child is applying alone, he will be required to have physical presence even though some exceptions might apply
Check https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-minors-subsection-5-11.html for more info

This actually makes sense otherwise the the process wouldnt have required getting PR before applying for citizenship.

Of course I am not an expert in this regard nor have I had any experience with a similar situation. So I can't confirm any of this.

TAE

Oct 11, 2018
She got the PR with me and landed - then was renewed after i became citizen, sound right 5(1) says two conditions one of then “do not already have a canadian paret

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Two possibilities:
1. She can apply on her own under 5(1) if she has satisfied the physical presence requirements
2. She can apply under 5(2) since you're still alive and a Canadian citizen, and she is currently a permanent resident. Under 5(2), there is no physical presence requirement as she derives the eligibility directly from you.

In both cases, she would be considered a naturalized Canadian citizen (since a grant of citizenship still needs to happen) instead of a natural born Canadian or Canadian citizen by descent.

Reactions: TAE

TAE

Oct 11, 2018
Two possibilities:
1. She can apply on her own under 5(1) if she has satisfied the physical presence requirements
2. She can apply under 5(2) since you're still alive and a Canadian citizen, and she is currently a permanent resident. Under 5(2), there is no physical presence requirement as she derives the eligibility directly from you.

In both cases, she would be considered a naturalized Canadian citizen (since a grant of citizenship still needs to happen) instead of a natural born Canadian or Canadian citizen by descent.
Thanks a lot