+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question: Proof of Funds for Temporary Resident Visa

CH

Apr 5, 2016
I have a friend who is coming to Canada for 3 weeks from Uganda to study. I have paid for her tuition, flight, and will offer accommodation and food etc. while she is in Canada.

She is currently completing her visa application and is unsure about what to put in the box that says "funds available for my stay." Is this the amount that she has herself (of which is next to nothing) or is this the amount of funds that she has available for her stay from other sources?

Thank you!

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
CH said:
I have a friend who is coming to Canada for 3 weeks from Uganda to study. I have paid for her tuition, flight, and will offer accommodation and food etc. while she is in Canada.

She is currently completing her visa application and is unsure about what to put in the box that says "funds available for my stay." Is this the amount that she has herself (of which is next to nothing) or is this the amount of funds that she has available for her stay from other sources?

Thank you!
Herself, evidence has to be submitted as part of the application.

CH

Apr 5, 2016
Thank you Jalex23. What if she has very little money in her account (e.g. less than 100 dollars CDN) but all of the funds associated with her trip are covered?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
CH said:
Thank you Jalex23. What if she has very little money in her account (e.g. less than 100 dollars CDN) but all of the funds associated with her trip are covered?
Then that will be a problem. SHE has to be able to afford the trip.

Usually what is suggested is that the sponsor makes a deposit to the sponsored account. Let it sit there for at least 3 months and then submit evidence of the withdrawal and the deposit of funds. This should be submitted as evidence of a sponsor making funds available for someone who can't afford the trip.

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
Jalex23 said:

Usually what is suggested is that the sponsor makes a deposit to the sponsored account. Let it sit there for at least 3 months and then submit evidence of the withdrawal and the deposit of funds. This should be submitted as evidence of a sponsor making funds available for someone who can't afford the trip.
hello, you seem very knowledgeable. i want to bring my WIFE to Canada (Toronto) on a visitor visa (TRV) while we wait for her PR to come in. and i read somewhere that because she is my wife, i can show my funds and provide a letter stating that i will be responsible for her expenses here, as she is my WIFE.

QUESTION: Is it ok if she does NOT have much in her account, but i have a lot in my account, good paying stable job (above average salary)? (i will also be showing that i own and live in my own home)

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
Jalex23 said:

straight from the checklist:

Proof of sufficient funds to cover expenses for the duration of your visit.
 A bank statement covering the last twelve months and showing the balance of the
account;
 Any additional relevant documentation (last 2 pay slips, property titles, proof of
pension, investments, etc.);
If you are not paying for your own trip, indicate how your trip will be funded. Submit
supporting documentation, for example: parents’ bank statements; letter from
employer covering costs; spouse’s employment, proof of employment and financial
documents for host in Canada* (employment letter, pay slips, T4 or Notice of
Assessment, bank statements), etc.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
jtannous said:
QUESTION: Is it ok if she does NOT have much in her account, but i have a lot in my account, good paying stable job (above average salary)? (i will also be showing that i own and live in my own home)
Yes, it is ok.

But you are analyzing stuff in isolation.

All this evidence that you have weakens the ties to her country. Why would she go back to her homecountry if her husband has "a lot in my account, good paying stable job (above average salary)? (i will also be showing that i own and live in my own home)". She has all the reasons to overstay in Canada and none to go back to her country => refusal.

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
Jalex23 said:
Yes, it is ok.

But you are analyzing stuff in isolation.

All this evidence that you have weakens the ties to her country. Why would she go back to her homecountry if her husband has "a lot in my account, good paying stable job (above average salary)? (i will also be showing that i own and live in my own home)". She has all the reasons to overstay in Canada and none to go back to her country => refusal.
well thats the thing with CIC, they can see it any way they want,... if we dont have too much money, they will think she wont be able to afford her stay still refuse her.

but back home, she has a very good job also, she has savings and an apartment and a car and all that, im trying to find a balance...

you get what i mean? what do you think? how should we approach this?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
jtannous said:
well thats the thing with CIC, they can see it any way they want,... if we dont have too much money, they will think she wont be able to afford her stay still refuse her.

but back home, she has a very good job also, she has savings and an apartment and a car and all that, im trying to find a balance...

you get what i mean? what do you think? how should we approach this?
Then you are not making sense, if she has "very good job also, she has savings and an apartment and a car and all that" then how is she requesting a TRV "while we wait for her PR to come in"?... that can take months... and no person with "good reasons to go back" can afford to stay months in another country.

CIC has the responsibility to think you want to overstay, that is why they request a visa... it is your responsibility to prove otherwise.

TRVs for spouses with a PR in process are tough. Ask for a short visit (two-three weeks) and make emphasis on her strong ties to her country and financial stability. That will increase your odds greatly.

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
Jalex23 said:
Then you are not making sense, if she has "very good job also, she has savings and an apartment and a car and all that" then how is she requesting a TRV "while we wait for her PR to come in"?... that can take months... and no person with "good reasons to go back" can afford to stay months in another country.

CIC has the responsibility to think you want to overstay, that is why they request a visa... it is your responsibility to prove otherwise.

TRVs for spouses with a PR in process are tough. Ask for a short visit (two-three weeks) and make emphasis on her strong ties to her country and financial stability. That will increase your odds greatly.
right!

so we are doing a short visit and all, and we will show strong ties to her country, but i want to see my wife and cant always go there and spend thousands of dollars just to see her, thats not fair, thats why im asking if she can come here for a visit. we are not asking for a long visit. but they should not just assume that she wants to just come here and wrongfully stay. we know the PR will take months, thats why we are applying for visa, so we can see each other.

do you suggest that in the letter of invitation i complain that i cannot keep spending thousands of dollars going there to see here and would be much cheaper to bring her here to see her?

she is my wife, there should not be a reason she should not be able to come see me, ESPECIALLY if we have a PR in process, which shows that we are doing things the right way! you know what i mean?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
jtannous said:
but they should not just assume that she wants to just come here and wrongfully stay.
Unfortunately a visa is requested because past visitors from your country have shown they are not trust worthy. So a TRV is requested on the basis that: "all people from that country want to stay illegally unless proven otherwise".

jtannous said:
do you suggest that in the letter of invitation i complain that i cannot keep spending thousands of dollars going there to see here and would be much cheaper to bring her here to see her?
No.

Why would Canada should make an exception for you? Many people spend money, time and resources. That is expected from all immigrants.

jtannous said:
she is my wife, there should not be a reason she should not be able to come see me, ESPECIALLY if we have a PR in process, which shows that we are doing things the right way! you know what i mean?
Yes. Unfortunately people have abused that and abused a TRV for having their spouses with them until the PR resolves. A TRV should not be abused, a visit should be short and should not be used for "living" when it clearly states "visiting". Therefore your intentions might be trustworthy but your co-nationals have shown otherwise.

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
Jalex23 said:
Unfortunately a visa is requested because past visitors from your country have shown they are not trust worthy. So a TRV is requested on the basis that: "all people from that country want to stay illegally unless proven otherwise".

No.

Why would Canada should make an exception for you? Many people spend money, time and resources. That is expected from all immigrants.

Yes. Unfortunately people have abused that and abused a TRV for having their spouses with them until the PR resolves. A TRV should not be abused, a visit should be short and should not be used for "living" when it clearly states "visiting". Therefore your intentions might be trustworthy but your co-nationals have shown otherwise.
I know, you are completely accurate. its very unfortunate. i just wish we had better communication with our CIC officers. whats the nest way to contact our case officer?

also, im looking at the application for visitor visa, and it seems that its not a lost cause because there is specifics about a spouse visiting. but the question is, how likely is it for them to approve. what does it raelly take? we can show them a lot of ties back home, and i feel it will still get refused. very discouraging. but i have heard stories on here of people getting the visitor visa.

here is our case, what do you think?

-she has 2 younger brothers that she takes care of because there parents are deceased...should i push that hard?
-she has a good job, well paying, and is requesting vacation, and would be afraid to lose that job until the PR comes in... should i push that hard?
-she has savings she can use to spend here...
-she has a car to pay insurance for and completely owns that car...
-she has relatives back home, grandma, uncles, aunts, etc...

-I have good income, stable job and good savings to support her during her visit...should i push that hard?
-I have a home that i own
-I have lots of family and siblings and nieces and nephews, some of which still have not met her in person...should i push that hard?
-etc...

she wants to come visit me because we are away from each other for months at a time, and i want her to meat the rest of my family that she knows very well but has never met in person.

also, she is invited to my cousins wedding this summer, and i want her to attend with me.

what do you think/ suggestions?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP :)

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
jtannous said:
-she has 2 younger brothers that she takes care of because there parents are deceased...should i push that hard? Are they minors? Is she a legal guardian? If so then use this.
-she has a good job, well paying, and is requesting vacation, and would be afraid to lose that job until the PR comes in... should i push that hard? This is needed, attach letter of employment with specifics dates on her depart and return. Also include the time she has been working there and any other information that helps establish it is a good job.
-she has savings she can use to spend here...
-she has a car to pay insurance for and completely owns that car...
-she has relatives back home, grandma, uncles, aunts, etc... This is irrelevant

-I have good income, stable job and good savings to support her during her visit...should i push that hard?
-I have a home that i own
-I have lots of family and siblings and nieces and nephews, some of which still have not met her in person...should i push that hard?
-etc...

she wants to come visit me because we are away from each other for months at a time, and i want her to meat the rest of my family that she knows very well but has never met in person.

also, she is invited to my cousins wedding this summer, and i want her to attend with me.

what do you think/ suggestions?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP :)
Just remember it is SHE who should show a strong tie and no reasons to overstay.

And do not get discouraged, it is tough but not at all impossible.

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
Jalex23 said:
Just remember it is SHE who should show a strong tie and no reasons to overstay.

And do not get discouraged, it is tough but not at all impossible.
THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH Jalex23!!!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
We were some of the lucky ones that got a TRV. And we spent a lot of time prior to applying to provide the proof that she was a visitor, and not a resident (legal or illegal). We established an extensive travel history to both exempt and non-exempt countries, never over staying, for 2 years prior to even attempting a single entry TRV to Canada for a 10 day visit. We made sure that we provided the strong ties to her home country (registration and permission of leave from the local university she was attending), documentation from her employer of her job status, extensive bank records showing she had sufficient funds to support a week in Canada on her own if necessary, detailed pre-planned travel with-in Canada where we were going, staying and doing and return tickets (purchased in advance).....all to prove the one thing CIC really wants to hear. That she was going to leave in the end!
The system and the people making these decisions cannot realistically be expected to consider the emotional stress to you that comes with your applications. They are there to make decisions based on the facts presented to them and it is your responsibility to provide them with enough to tip the scale in your favour. Yours and everyone else's (including my own) tales of hardship, despair and emotional trauma are potential just that...tales told to circumvent the system. They probably become a little jaded after a while from hearing them all.