+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUESTION please re: Interviews

Sep 15, 2021
Good day to all, and thank you in advance for answering my questions.

We received an update on my husband's spousal application, and the immigration officer said he's in queue for an interview, and due to covid and backlogs, and the office only operating at half capacity, that there is not an estimated timeline of when the interview will take place.

That said, it sounds as though they would want him to go for an in person interview - can we not request for a virtual interview instead - or does it have to be in person?

Do we have any options?

Should we update the address on his application to the one here in Canada, even though he is just here in Canada on a visiting visa?

A combined 27 hours worth of flight time is an awfully long way to travel for a 30 minute interview.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dana

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You were required to update his address when he came to Canada. If an interview is still required it is usually done in the country of origin.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you - so even as a visitor we can update his address to the Canadian one?
Yes. There have been very few physical interviews since the start of the pandemic, and they are in most cases (it seems) doing virtual interviews. They also seem to sometimes call and ask a few questions, and if satisfied, go ahead without the interview proper.

But this is not your choice - it's their choice. No way to influence it.

Update address and keep telephone number up to date and available as well.

If you knwo what the reason for interview is, you could also try to address by providing some additional materials via webform. Since your spouse seems to be in Canada, and presumably that means you are living together, living together/more time together (and some evidence of it in Canada) might help address concerns about genuine relationship - for example. No guarantee it will work but may be worth a bit of your time.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

krstn29

Star Member
Mar 29, 2019
Good day to all, and thank you in advance for answering my questions.

We received an update on my husband's spousal application, and the immigration officer said he's in queue for an interview, and due to covid and backlogs, and the office only operating at half capacity, that there is not an estimated timeline of when the interview will take place.

That said, it sounds as though they would want him to go for an in person interview - can we not request for a virtual interview instead - or does it have to be in person?

Do we have any options?

Should we update the address on his application to the one here in Canada, even though he is just here in Canada on a visiting visa?

A combined 27 hours worth of flight time is an awfully long way to travel for a 30 minute interview.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dana
Hi.
Would you know the reason why they requested an interview?

Sep 15, 2021
Hi.
Would you know the reason why they requested an interview?
We have ordered the notes - so hoping that we will have a better understanding then. We have been married 3 years in May, I've lived a year with him in his home country for over a year, and now he is also up here in Canada with me. We had a traditional wedding with family from both sides in attendance, have travelled together - so I really don't know.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We have ordered the notes - so hoping that we will have a better understanding then. We have been married 3 years in May, I've lived a year with him in his home country for over a year, and now he is also up here in Canada with me. We had a traditional wedding with family from both sides in attendance, have travelled together - so I really don't know.
The period that you resided together - was that immediately after the marriage or just before applying?

At any rate, a somewhat-informed guess is that sending the info about you residing together in Canada now might help. Not a guarantee but won't hurt.