+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question on Title insurance

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
Let say I purchase a property and after certain year I find out the basement which was done by previous owner is not done through permit and proper building code. Now if I am doing any rework in basement city is asking to correct the building codes. TO correct it will cost $$ amount. Will this be covered by title insurance or not? has anyone gone through such delima... I am asking specific to Stewart Title Guaranty Co. which does default title insurance when selling properties.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
blueshirt said:
Let say I purchase a property and after certain year I find out the basement which was done by previous owner is not done through permit and proper building code. Now if I am doing any rework in basement city is asking to correct the building codes. TO correct it will cost $$ amount. Will this be covered by title insurance or not? has anyone gone through such delima... I am asking specific to Stewart Title Guaranty Co. which does default title insurance when selling properties.
http://www.stewart.ca/Residential.html
I don't think that this is covered by insurance of any sort.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
http://www.stewart.ca/Residential.html
I don't think that this is covered by insurance of any sort.
Agreed. The purchaser should get a qualified home inspector to identify the problems before closing the transaction.

ALRIVAS

Star Member
May 8, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-1994
Hi blueshirt if you use a realtor he/she should have advised you about it and as mentioned a home inspection would of helped too.
Tittle insurance will not cover it also if the city went to visit you is because there has been an incident of some kind or a nosy neighbour the government has no time to check house by house and it looks to me you are renting it or want to if the basement is finished for your own use is almost impossible that you will have any issue with the city.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
ALRIVAS said:
Hi blueshirt if you use a realtor he/she should have advised you about it and as mentioned a home inspection would of helped too.
Tittle insurance will not cover it also if the city went to visit you is because there has been an incident of some kind or a nosy neighbour the government has no time to check house by house and it looks to me you are renting it or want to if the basement is finished for your own use is almost impossible that you will have any issue with the city.

Usually home inspectors don't go and tear apart dry wall or break concrete to find if electrical wiring was done properly or the plumbing work done with proper code and having proper vent pipes. These things work for life and never get noticed unless someone has flood or fire in basement and house goes under reconstruction. So when we purchase a house we also inherit all the problems associated to the house knowingly and unknowingly. especially things which are hidden from visible eye. so my question was does title insurance cover such invisible issues.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
blueshirt said:
Usually home inspectors don't go and tear apart dry wall or break concrete to find if electrical wiring was done properly or the plumbing work done with proper code and having proper vent pipes. These things work for life and never get noticed unless someone has flood or fire in basement and house goes under reconstruction. So when we purchase a house we also inherit all the problems associated to the house knowingly and unknowingly. especially things which are hidden from visible eye. so my question was does title insurance cover such invisible issues.
No - it doesnt .