+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on PRTD & Divorce

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
8. At a minimum, you must provide:
• two (2) pieces of evidence that show your permanent resident status in Canada; and • information for the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
• employment records or pay stubs;
• bank statements;
• Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application;
• evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
• rental agreements;
• club memberships;
• or any other documents that are relevant to the determination of your residency obligation.
I am accompanying a Canadian citizen out of CA for last six years, so I am good on second part. But bolded is not clear. I finally find my old COPR from landing, but that is it. Any recommendations on what else to provide? I have a couple assessments (2008/9), a letter from my Canadian employer at the time, stating I was employed, a SIN card, and original passport showing immigrant visa/landing stamp, but that's it.

Do the regulations or precedent speak to what happens if a PR accompanying a citizen gets divorced while abroad? Is it still just a matter of whether they were accompanying a citizen for enough time, or other issues?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Tubsmagee said:
I am accompanying a Canadian citizen out of CA for last six years, so I am good on second part. But bolded is not clear. I finally find my old COPR from landing, but that is it. Any recommendations on what else to provide? I have a couple assessments (2008/9), a letter from my Canadian employer at the time, stating I was employed, a SIN card, and original passport showing immigrant visa/landing stamp, but that's it.
Any info before 5 years ago (so before 2012) will be pretty much useless to provide.

Do the regulations or precedent speak to what happens if a PR accompanying a citizen gets divorced while abroad? Is it still just a matter of whether they were accompanying a citizen for enough time, or other issues?
The Canadian citizen you're accompanying must be your spouse. As of the date a divorce is official, even if still cohabiting with that citizen the time spent together will no longer count. So if you were divorced 3 years ago or more but for some reason continued to live with them, you would now be in violation of the RO.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Rob_TO said:
The Canadian citizen you're accompanying must be your spouse. As of the date a divorce is official, even if still cohabiting with that citizen the time spent together will no longer count. So if you were divorced 3 years ago or more but for some reason continued to live with them, you would now be in violation of the RO.
Marriage is still in place, including cohabitation, so no worries. There would be four+ years of accompanying at point of divorce, so seems like plenty of time to get ready for a return to CA. Is this anywhere in one of the guides or something official?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Tubsmagee said:
Marriage is still in place, including cohabitation, so no worries. There would be four+ years of accompanying at point of divorce, so seems like plenty of time to get ready for a return to CA. Is this anywhere in one of the guides or something official?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA
Situation 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada
You may count each day you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada as long as this person is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 19 years of age).

Proof needed

You must provide supporting documents to prove that:

-The person you are accompanying is a Canadian citizen; and
-You are the spouse, common-law partner or child of that person