+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on personal exemptions (2022) for COPR and husband.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Hi there.

Will be arriving very soon and was going to fill out the forms for personal exemptions.

Is this correct to assume that the PR (COPR) can create a list of stuff they will bring (listed on website) and everything will be good as long as it's not prohibited? (2 copies.) Can we use the same BFS186 form or separate since she has to say settler and I have to say returning resident? I think as a returning resident I have to fill it out also?

Also what's the issue if we share luggage as a family other than it would get confusiing if we had all those separate bsf186 forms

But they will not be entitled to the 800 dollar personal exemption since they never lived in Canada? I think I will be as a returning resident.

Also for me since I am returning and such, I have a few items i bought within the last few months that are not technically new because they have been used but I kept the original box for warranty purposes (Electronics) since they are world wide. Will declare all of it but how do I explain new / used in that scenario where it was used but I took it out of my old computer will bring it back to use in my new computer. (Sorry bit off topic here.)

Thanks

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Will be arriving very soon and was going to fill out the forms for personal exemptions.

Is this correct to assume that the PR (COPR) can create a list of stuff they will bring (listed on website) and everything will be good as long as it's not prohibited? (2 copies.) Can we use the same BFS186 form or separate since she has to say settler and I have to say returning resident? I think as a returning resident I have to fill it out also?

Also what's the issue if we share luggage as a family other than it would get confusiing if we had all those separate bsf186 forms
I was returning after many years abroad and our luggage and shipment was all as family (three kids, two of whom were adults). I believe we had my spouse (the new PR) as the main signator etc but we were quite open it was household stuff. And even though we filled out forms in spouse's name I handled all the stuff at customs. No problems or questions whatsoever.

Don't know about your other questions but would suggest for at least minor things bought, this is not a priority of customs.

Reactions: nedvert

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks A, I actually called in and they pretty much said fill out the exact forms forms (Which is different than what I am reading a lot of people do.) and I would have pretty much no issues as long as it's personal belongings and normal things and not major items.

Not as concerned now.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks A, I actually called in and they pretty much said fill out the exact forms forms (Which is different than what I am reading a lot of people do.) and I would have pretty much no issues as long as it's personal belongings and normal things and not major items.

Not as concerned now.
YOu do need to fill out the forms but we were suggested to fill them out in match to boxes as packed, eg 'kitchen stuff' '[name] stuff' etc. Put some detail only where we had effectively done same for insurance of the moving company. Moving company wanted some things with serial numbers (cameras and the like) to be shown, customs didn't care.
The one thing customs was picky about is that there must be value/dollar amounts. Basically per entry on the form (i.e. by box is fine). They were not insistent about any more detail for this dollar amount stuff, just the form must have it.
s you can probably tell, while I had this mostly completed ready on arrival, some was done at customs.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Right. I saw some examples online where they have groups of electronics, household, luggage, etc and to put a "group amount" unless there's something that stands out. I was told to estimate te value of these groups based on what you could currently sell them for. (Since almost all of it very used, just a couple of things bought within the last few months.)

I must be clear that we will be perhaps "flagged" since I have been gone and only visited Canada for work once and 1 visit since 2015 and will not have much stuff. Like I am going to be buying everything outside of my laptop clothes and some computer stuff fresh so they might fund that suspicious but that's the truth.

I regards to the forms, I see conflicting on accounts on google that say you need to fill out the BFS186 and elaborate on the BFS186a versus using an excel. (Some say they are happy with the excel and will fill out the actual form themselves while others (and the lady from BS that I called.) said it's better to fill out those forms directly versus your own creation so I guess I should just follow that.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
One last thing though I guess it wont't be a big deal I bought some computer stuff a few months ago (a video card last month) that I was supposed to take with my computer, it is used now but since my computer "broke" I took it out and want to bring it with the original packaging.

Do I need to declare this as part of my personal exemption? Or does filling out those forms and putting it all down there replace that sort of thing for returning residents. (WIth the exception of booze, liquor, cigareettes,)

I just don't want the guy to pick it out of my bag and go what's this it looks new, then have to explain all that and then he will say I never declared even though it's listed with serial number on my accompanying goods list.

Perhaps I am overthinking :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I must be clear that we will be perhaps "flagged" since I have been gone and only visited Canada for work once and 1 visit since 2015 and will not have much stuff. Like I am going to be buying everything outside of my laptop clothes and some computer stuff fresh so they might fund that suspicious but that's the truth.
Don't know why you'd be flagged because of that, honestly unless they think you're importing very high value stuff like cars and boats(or obviously contraband), they just don't care about normal household goods.

I regards to the forms, I see conflicting on accounts on google that say you need to fill out the BFS186 and elaborate on the BFS186a versus using an excel. (Some say they are happy with the excel and will fill out the actual form themselves while others (and the lady from BS that I called.) said it's better to fill out those forms directly versus your own creation so I guess I should just follow that.
Honestly don't recall what we did but think we used the forms provided by our moving company as an attachment. Again, the guys at customs were pretty nice about it overall.

One warning, when you land and after you get your bags, that is when you MUST ask where to process the goods to follow - i.e. don't just leave the baggage area as usual. If hyou don't get it done then, that's when it becomes a problem.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks I don't really have any goods to follow just what's with us, would only use that form to list more things.

I guess I am watching too much border patrol Canada shows where it shows them finding all kinds of stuff and adding up the stuff they didn't declare lol. (I assume accompanyhing goods they would just leave it be versus demanding to know why you didn't declare it but I guess they would treat me different than someone who went on a shorter trip.

Thanks for your help.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks I don't really have any goods to follow just what's with us, would only use that form to list more things.
Ah, didn't understand. We didn't separately declare anything we had with us, which was only maybe two suitcases a person. When we arrived we just said personal effects in the luggage with us.

I'd prepare your list but if asked just say personal effects and if asked further we disposed of everything there rather than bring it, start over with less junk. If they wish to they'll open the luggage on the spot. Keep your list in reserve just in case.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Ah, didn't understand. We didn't separately declare anything we had with us, which was only maybe two suitcases a person. When we arrived we just said personal effects in the luggage with us.

I'd prepare your list but if asked just say personal effects and if asked further we disposed of everything there rather than bring it, start over with less junk. If they wish to they'll open the luggage on the spot. Keep your list in reserve just in case.

Ok thanks did you actually list on their forms or on your own? I was told by the lady I spoke with to use their phones but I alsos see that the officer will do that themselves by some people's blogs.

Sounds like things will be pretty easy just don't want to get into trouble by not declaring that I have some of my computer items that are in original boxes since I ripped apart my old system and brought some components to build in Canada. (Since my old one broke a few weeks ago.)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok thanks did you actually list on their forms or on your own? I was told by the lady I spoke with to use their phones but I alsos see that the officer will do that themselves by some people's blogs.

Sounds like things will be pretty easy just don't want to get into trouble by not declaring that I have some of my computer items that are in original boxes since I ripped apart my old system and brought some components to build in Canada. (Since my old one broke a few weeks ago.)
Don't recall, I'll see what I can find. But again - we only did this for th8ings that were shipped separately. I'm not even sure how much they want you to itemize items you bring with you, except for valuables.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
I am probably good then.

When I get the regular "declaration" customs forms doI just leave those alone and give them the list accompanying goods? I guess the customers officers will realize that we are not declaring normal belongings on account of being a returning resident away for so long...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am probably good then.

When I get the regular "declaration" customs forms doI just leave those alone and give them the list accompanying goods? I guess the customers officers will realize that we are not declaring normal belongings on account of being a returning resident away for so long...
Sorry, I can't really answer, I misunderstood your case and our situation was different. We just filled out the regular form on the plane and at customs just told them all the stuff with us was personal belongings. Our suitcases weren't even looked at.