+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on minor 5(2) citizenship application returned - document missing

farmoh786

Sep 14, 2022
Hi - I had submitted myself and wife's citizenship application online 4 months ago. Later last month I submitted paper minor 5(2) application for kids citizenship.

However, CIC returned back minor's application with a letter stating missing "The photocopy of parents proof of canadian citizenship, if applicable is missing" See section Step 1 - Gather documents".

As we both are currently waiting for citizenship application to be processed and have the AOR. please advise how to address the situation and action to take for the returned minor application. Thanks in advance.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You need to use the 5(1) application here instead.
5(2) only applies if one of the parents is already a citizen, or if all applications were sent together in a family package, which isn't your case.

Just reuse the same receipt for the treatment fees and send a new complete 5(1) application for your kid.

Reactions: farmoh786

farmoh786

Sep 14, 2022
You need to use the 5(1) application here instead.
5(2) only applies if one of the parents is already a citizen, or if all applications were sent together in a family package, which isn't your case.

Just reuse the same receipt for the treatment fees and send a new complete 5(1) application for your kid.
Thanks for the inputs. Appreciate your timely response. I'll prepare 5(1) application and send it over.

Also I had in mind of sending an explanation letter with my UCI and AOR with same 5(2) application. Would this be an option?

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Thanks for the inputs. Appreciate your timely response. I'll prepare 5(1) application and send it over.

Also I had in mind of sending an explanation letter with my UCI and AOR with same 5(2) application. Would this be an option?
You can if you wish to.

Just curious, did you go through the citizenship page on the website to help you determine whether to apply by paper or online before applying?

farmoh786

Sep 14, 2022
You can if you wish to.

Just curious, did you go through the citizenship page on the website to help you determine whether to apply by paper or online before applying?
Yes. I followed the steps to determine eligibility for online before submitting paper application. I don't think minor application is online yet.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019

farmoh786

Sep 14, 2022
This link says you cannot apply online as a family, unless you wanted the applications to be processed at different speeds.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply.html
I see below in the website:

If you’re applying as a family or a group
Adults (18 or older)
can now apply online together as a family or a group.

If you want to apply with a minor (under 18), you can only apply on paper for now.

medwiz

May 25, 2014
I see below in the website:

If you’re applying as a family or a group
Adults (18 or older)
can now apply online together as a family or a group.

If you want to apply with a minor (under 18), you can only apply on paper for now.
Yeah exactly that just confirms what @Varunaimar was saying... applying as a family WITH MINORS is done via paper application...was there a specific reason why you applied as 2 adults online then months later applied for a minor on paper?

farmoh786

Sep 14, 2022
Yeah exactly that just confirms what @Varunaimar was saying... applying as a family WITH MINORS is done via paper application...was there a specific reason why you applied as 2 adults online then months later applied for a minor on paper?
Yeah I heard that if submitted as a package, if there is any document missing for any of the applicant, the whole package is returned. So i felt as there was option applying online for self and spouse, this would be processed without any dependency to each other.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017

To be honest, I have no idea if it's doable and if IRCC can process a family application made separately and both online and via paper.
Maybe give IRCC a call if you want to give it a shot...

farmoh786

Sep 14, 2022
To be honest, I have no idea if it's doable and if IRCC can process a family application made separately and both online and via paper.
Maybe give IRCC a call if you want to give it a shot...
Thank you. Yes, the best case would be as you suggested to just apply with 5(1) but have to provide additional docs like education records.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Yeah I heard that if submitted as a package, if there is any document missing for any of the applicant, the whole package is returned. So i felt as there was option applying online for self and spouse, this would be processed without any dependency to each other.
You probably missed a key point here.

If you have a minor and you're "tagged" as the parent in the minor's application, you cannot apply online. You have to apply offline. When you do that, your spouse who applied online might see a different timeline that you and the minor. Never an ideal situation if you have travel planned, as most of us have.

Anyway, I would suggest that you prepare two paper application packages - one for you and the other for the minor, and post it along with whatever explanation you want. You can use the same fee receipt.

Sriram_Zoro

Nov 15, 2018
I dont agree with the above comment. The website doesn't imply that. It just means if you want to apply as a family then you need to apply offline. However. the minor's application can be submitted separately using 5(1). Also, the website mentions use online if you can. It does makes sense to apply parents online but its not clear for minor who has to be applied offline then which form to fill. By the way farmoh786 how did you proceed on this?

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
I dont agree with the above comment. The website doesn't imply that. It just means if you want to apply as a family then you need to apply offline. However. the minor's application can be submitted separately using 5(1). Also, the website mentions use online if you can. It does makes sense to apply parents online but its not clear for minor who has to be applied offline then which form to fill. By the way farmoh786 how did you proceed on this?
It doesnt matter whether you agree with my comment or not.

The IRCC website is pretty clear - if you have a minor in your application package, both you and the minor who is being tagged with your application need to apply via paper. Your spouse has a choice whether they want to apply online OR via paper along with yours and your minor's applications.

Minor's applications are "tagged" along with an adult's application (thats basically the first question on your minor's citizenship application) and are processed together.

Sriram_Zoro

Nov 15, 2018
It doesnt matter whether you agree with my comment or not.

The IRCC website is pretty clear - if you have a minor in your application package, both you and the minor who is being tagged with your application need to apply via paper. Your spouse has a choice whether they want to apply online OR via paper along with yours and your minor's applications.

Minor's applications are "tagged" along with an adult's application (thats basically the first question on your minor's citizenship application) and are processed together.

Can you show me one place in IRCC site which tells we can't apply for minor using 5(1) separately?